Help! Urticulating hairs!! I’m miserable

PrettyPrettyPetrie

Arachnopeon
Hello!

In my excitement to see my T. Blondi’s molt, I grabbed it and put it in the palm of my hand. I didn’t do much but move it around a bit out of general curiosity.

I am dealing with the worst urticulating hair!! Jesus Christ it was just a dead molt! It’s been 24 hours and the itch is unreal. Actually feels worse than yesterday. I have a rash on my palm and it’s moving up my arm. Apparently I rubbed my neck during this too and I have a rash and terrible itch there too.

How can I fix this? It kept me up most of the night. I’m trying my best to not itch but sometimes I just need a second of relief.

Edit: So far I’m using duct tape regularly (feels sooo good), I’m on Ibuprofen (swelling/rash), loratadine (antihistamine), hydrocortizone cream (itching) and Tramadol 50’s because why the hell not at this point. I lightly rinse and wash to help “refresh” the areas. Haven’t tried Benadryl yet because I have to work.

Even if you don’t have a remedy, it’s still be great to hear your experience so I’m not alone.

Attached are the two second photos I took that got me in this mess.

Attachments

Last edited:

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
I did the same thing, with a T. apophysis molt, 2 weeks itchy hands. It was not fun! But didn´t use any salve or something like that.
Never had issues with hairs, but the hairs from Theraphosa are really nasty!

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
I’ve heard of people using duct tape to remove the hairs from their skin. Not sure if it actually helps but worth a shot

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Hahahah guilty of doing this as well to be cool and post this picture of my large stirmi. Layed it out by hand and I paid dearly for it.
It was brutal like wake up at 2 am itching like a meth junkie. Nothing helps that I found personally except cannabis lol. Good luck hope you get better soon haha

Attachments

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Never had a serious problem with urticulating hair (yet) but I do have A LOT of problems with contact dermatitis in the summer - poison ivy grows wild in my yard. I find calamine lotion helps more that hydrocortisone. You could try a non-drowsy antihistamine like Claratin - a basic staple in our house. You could also check with your doctor and ask if prednisone would help. Good luck! I know your pain!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I'd imagine if you could explain how urticating hairs function, and could show a microscope image of the correct type of hair to a doctor that they would be able to give some advice

Pretty sure they are type 3 hairs btw if you intend on showing a doctor

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Aloe vera is said to help, but never tried it myself.
Otherwise antihistamines certainly mitigate!

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Duck tape always does it for me, just stick it on good and rip it off.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is why when rehousing or when I boxed my MM T.blondi up to post for breeding a wear goggles (the type with rubber around to create a seal) a dust mask and gloves.

As you're experiencing now their urticating hairs really are a nightmare and as such treat them like that.

You could try rubbing a balloon or plastic bag over your hand. The static might help although doubt as much as actual duct tape.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I imagine the blown out swollen vagina like that of a chimps would steal the show. It would be an er visit for sure.
Have to put that business on ripleys believe it or not. Maybe even myth busters just to prove it’s of human origin.