help um, transfering my blondi

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
This weekend, I need to clean some t enclosures. And yep, you guessed it, Kaja is due. In my attempt to keep her humidity high enough, I saw a few mites. I am looking for any helpful hints on catching her, so I can clean her enclosure.
She's in a LARGE tupperware thing, same type I'm using for my millies; 23 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 12 inches high. She stays almost exclusively under her half log. Problem is, if I don't move fast enough, after uncovering her, she'll bolt. Being that the container is only 12 inches high, she could easily escape. Conversely, if I move too fast, I'll have another stubby t.
She's a bit smaller (legspan-wise) than my psycho rosie, so she'd be about 4-5 inches now.
Thanks in advance..
Gillian

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have a container that you want to put the T in ready and then remove the hide spot. Then slowly (you don't want to startle her) put the container over the spider. Once the spider is under the container take the container cover and slowly slip it underneath the spider. That's what I sometimes do.
Mike

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another method you can use is get a knife and cut off all your T's legs. That way, it won't make a dash or anything. You can even pick out all the mites and stuff off of your T without any worry. The only price you have to pay is literally spoon feed your T until a couple molts later.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Another method you can use is get a knife and cut off all your T's legs. That way, it won't make a dash or anything. You can even pick out all the mites and stuff off of your T without any worry. The only price you have to pay is literally spoon feed your T until a couple molts later.
:mad:
Cute, real cute. And, informative too. You get humanitarian of the world..The sad thing is, you're allowed to have pets..I'd go on, but, I'll get bared

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
:mad:
Cute, real cute. And, informative too. You get humanitarian of the world..The sad thing is, you're allowed to have pets..I'd go on, but, I'll get bared
Hehehehe. I was only kidding. I figured that you're going to have plenty of good advice so I might as well throw in a bad one for balance. It's like the Sith and the dark side of the force. There are already too many good guys. It is only fair for the dark lord of the Sith Darth Sidious and Darth Vader to balance out the sides of the force.

But anywho....... yeahhh...

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
lam,
WHATever...play your childish game of Devil's Advocate all you want. It only belies the truly miniscule nature of your intellect, as well as, your compassionate side. Read your post again. Bereft of any smilies or emoticons, it didn't come out as a joke. Besides, a joke made at the expense of a helpless animal, whether or not if said animal is ever harmed is not truly a joke. It is a sad, pathetic attempt at attention.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lam,
WHATever...play your childish game of Devil's Advocate all you want. It only belies the truly miniscule nature of your intellect, as well as, your compassionate side. Read your post again. Bereft of any smilies or emoticons, it didn't come out as a joke. Besides, a joke made at the expense of a helpless animal, whether or not if said animal is ever harmed is not truly a joke. It is a sad, pathetic attempt at attention.
Don't you just love it when someone say something you don't like then all you have to do is accuse him of something like "attempt at attention?" I still can't believe the severity of accusation that I am seeing, especially when it is coming from someone your age. Besides, the point of the joke wasn't about torturing animals. Then again, may be it wasn't that obvious. Anyhow, I apologize for offending you so much. About belying my nature of intellect and compassion, who do I have to prove myself to now?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lasiodora
Have a container that you want to put the T in ready and then remove the hide spot. Then slowly (you don't want to startle her) put the container over the spider. Once the spider is under the container take the container cover and slowly slip it underneath the spider. That's what I sometimes do.
Mike
Mike,
Thanks..:) I'll give it a try...Now, to find a big enough container...
Peace,
Gillian

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lam,
You can't recognize a joke if it doesn't have emoticons?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
You can't recognize a joke if it doesn't have emoticons?
Yes I can, as a matter of fact..I did not consider this a joke, chiefly because of the fact that, it concerned the welfare of an animal.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Look, I don't care if you got the joke or not. I don't care if you find it funny or not. I even apologized for offending you with it. What bothers me, though, is the severe accusation that sprung up before you even stated that you have taken offense. Anyone else see what's wrong with this?

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Look, I don't care if you got the joke or not. I don't care if you find it funny or not. I even apologized for offending you with it. What bothers me, though, is the severe accusation that sprung up before you even stated that you have taken offense. Anyone else see what's wrong with this?
I'm probably wrong, but here's the impression I got...

It seemed to me that Gillian thought you were trying to insult her by making light of her problem. Rather than find out if this was true, though, she assumed it was true and then retaliated with an insult of her own.

I do the same thing. Sometimes I'm wrong, usually I'm right.

I rather enjoy Gillian's apparent inclination towards petty retaliation. I think we have a lot in common. Except, of course, for the fact that I find it funny when animals get hurt.

But yeah, lam, you make a good point.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
OK, everyone simma down now... and get back On Topic, if you don't mind... :)

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
OK, everyone simma down now... and get back On Topic, if you don't mind... :)
Ok. I agree completely with Lasiodora's technique. I always use that technique for my cobalt, actually.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Gillian,

There are a few different ways to go about catching your blondi.
If you are worried about it bolting, when you lift the log, have a large delicup or other container right there for her to bolt or walk into. Just keep the container right in front of the logs opening so she/he has no where else to run (or walk). then just slide the lid on while the blondi is inside. or another way would be to use a long instrument to slowly lift the log up while the lid is still most of the way on and you could shut it in time if the T bolts. Once the T is out in the open you can put a delicup or container right over it.
I guess it really depends on how confortable you are with it. The main thing is the T's safety, as you probably already know.

well take care and let us know how it goes !

Dean

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've moved some of my bolters quite easily, and some have been chaotic...

the best method is to start in the bathroom where it can't get loose and lost in your stuff....

second... have an appropriate sized "catching" jar....... something that will fit the spider, but fit in both enclosures as well.....

coas the spider into the catching jar.... i know, easier said than done, but all you can do is try try again.... it takes practice with each different T....

once in the catching container, take that container and put it in the new enclosure and leave it.l...... once the spider wanders about a bit, take the catching container out.....

i wish i had one of those safe tubes where it's a encloser you stick your hands through rubber gloves in the wall and can safely work w/ chemicals and the such.... that would be sweet for moving Ts..... i hope that made sense...

shmidti

Arachnopeon
T.BLONDE Transfer

Best method is to cup her or gentle persuade her to go in the cup with a long pair of tongs................

She really needs to be in a 10 gallon tank

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How about cooling her down a bit before trying to move her?

I had to do this when I first got my cobalt blue...she was so freaked out that three different people at the store I got her from gave up on catching her and insisted that I took her and her container home. In my case, there was no possible chance of getting the lid off the cage without her bolting, so I used the refridgerator technique (about 8 or 9 minutes)...I realize your container is a bit larger, so maybe outside for a few minutes...

Disclaimer: I am very new to Tarantulas, and I really don't know if my technique was a good idea or not, but I read about using this method somewhere online (I don't remember where, now). In my case, it worked like a dream, but I still don't know how good of an idea it is...

-Faunya