Help thread

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Please help! My new tarantula is on its back and I think it is dying. What should I do. I'm scared to touch it but I want to help.

Attention: This is not a real asking-for-help thread. However, please treat this as if it was real. I just want to see what kind of reaction people would have on this kind of thread.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Attention: This is not a real asking-for-help thread. However, please treat this as if it was real. I just want to see what kind of reaction people would have on this kind of thread. [/B][/QUOTE]

why?

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
um ok. i would probably have said don't worry if it's on its back its probably just molting cuz they don't usually turn over to die.
what a strange thread.
Jono

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Iam,
This is a bit strange, but I would offer up assurance that the tarantula is molting and that they rarely (if ever) die in an inverted position. I would advice you to be patient, and allow the tarantula to do her thing and state not to disturb her at all.

I think most keepers would respond similarly, and most care to offer advice to help out a fellow enthusiast.
I've found the group of tarantula keepers to be one of the more involved and caring groups out there with very little negativity towards anothers keepers level of experience. I think a majority would rather educate in a positive sense than tear down.

Just my thoughts, and good luck with your thread. I hope your fictious tarantula pulls through its molt. Post some virtual pictures when she's complete, and take care,
Ralph

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is dead! and your never going to see it alive again!

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
if i were answering this question for lam: first i would type in my immediate gut-reaction (which would probably be in poor taste), then i'd delete the gut-reaction for something a little more subtle. ultimately, i'd delete the subtle post, too, and let someone else take care of it.

for everyone else: first i'd have to see if you were male or female. next i would check your age, then location. if you were within driving distance to my house (and over the age of 18—or on the cusp of it), i'd send you a private message saying, "would you like me to come to your place and check it out for you?". if the person was under the age of 18, i'd ask if their mom or dad was married. if not, then would they be interested in a fling. if they were married, then i'd ask if either were interested in a mistress...and during the whole back and forth of the conversation, hopefully the tarantula would have moulted, and all would be well.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lam,
wouldn't it be easier to just do a topic search to get your info?

Anyhow, I would say:
It's not dead, it's molting. Whatever you do, leave it alone. etc.etc.....

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if its a male, could be making a sperm web.

Im with everyone else -- confused and thinking its a strange post. Its ok, man, if you have a question. everyone has questions sometimes...???

but i must admit i like krystal's idea... ;P

peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i would suggest calmness and ask more about the situation. i would also state that usually Ts on their backs or even their sides sometimes are molting.

i would ask if they could see any skin of the abdomen if any hairs are missing and that if it's dark, it should definitely be in molt.

i would ask what kind of T it is and what conditions it's being kept in and then refer them to the spreadsheets on this site and others.

finally, i would tell them the next thing they should do is purchase the TKG which will serve as an invaluable resource.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
if i were answering this question for lam: first i would type in my immediate gut-reaction (which would probably be in poor taste), then i'd delete the gut-reaction for something a little more subtle. ultimately, i'd delete the subtle post, too, and let someone else take care of it.

Hehehe. To be honest, I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not. But thanx anyway.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lam you come up with the most interesting post.:)

I would offer my assurance that their tarantula was fine and not to worry. Also I would recommend they read a book on tarantula care either Tarantulas and other arachnids or the The tarantula keepers guide.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A question I get asked all the time. Desparate calls from customers... Rest assured, the tarantula is shedding. Leave it completely alone for several days after shed. As it's book lungs haven't hardened, any additional stress, startling it, can kill it.

Tarantulas virtually never pass away on their backs. Things to worry about: curled legs, thinning abdomen, etc.

N-Joy
Art

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Midwest Art
A question I get asked all the time. Desparate calls from customers... Rest assured, the tarantula is shedding. Leave it completely alone for several days after shed. As it's book lungs haven't hardened, any additional stress, startling it, can kill it.

Tarantulas virtually never pass away on their backs. Things to worry about: curled legs, thinning abdomen, etc.

N-Joy
Art
See guys? It is not that hard.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL. I don't think it was the difficulty of what you ask that was in question. More like your intentions.

Atrax

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't worry, your tarantula is not dying. He's just trying to scratch an itch on his back.

Bry

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, i'm with Atrax -- with the exception of some very funny/witty wise-asses, we all pretty much answered the same way....

at any rate...
it takes all kinds, i guess :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. Calm Down and forget what everyone else has said. They are all wrong. Your spider is out of air. I have had this happen to mine. The only thing that can be done to save it before it dies is mouth to mouth resusitaton. THE ONLY THING! So stop waiting an ressitate!

Jon

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Oh no, me too!

Originally posted by krystal
if you were within driving distance to my house (and over the age of 18—or on the cusp of it), i'd send you a private message saying, "would you like me to come to your place and check it out for you?".
Damn, my T is on its back...I think it's dead! I live in California, but I can fly you out here, Krystal. I really need your help.....:}

Oh, and Lam.....read a book ;P .

Peace and taco grease.

D-Man

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Please help! My new tarantula is on its back and I think it is dying. What should I do. I'm scared to touch it but I want to help.
Hes not dead, He jus' restin, The Norweigen blue perfers kippin on its back

-Jason