Help! They're everywhere!

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought a beautiful Usambara baboon about 6-7 months ago....and lo and behold,we found 30-40 mini baboons yesterday. I'm NOT an experienced breeder..what do I do? Are they as venomous as adults? How do I catch them? I hate to kill them,I'd love to sell them...you can't find them around here. How do I care for sling? ANy and all information would be helpful,thanks!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
get small vials or condiment cups like tiny deli cups and put a little substrate and put one sling per container. feed pinhead crix and send me 4 of the slings lol

live long and prosper

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can find some small 2 or 3 oz deli cups with lids, that would be perfect to keep the slings in. They will eat small pinhead crickets or larger but still small cricket pieces like a leg or something. At that size, they do have little fangs and venom but they are too small and not agressive to use them yet. Remove the mother and then you can fish around for the young with out worries. Put some damp substrate in each little container and each little T will need it's own little container. At that size, they do not need a water dish but will get all the moisture they need from the food and a small amount of misting in the enclosure once a week. Congrats and good luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1 dump them in a box
2 tape box closed
3 send them to me

problem solved :clap:

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
alternate solution 1: raise them and set 'em loose in sulfur

alternate solution 2: i have a friend down there at mcneese that's been looking at getting a T, you could always think about that as a new home for one and sell the rest

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Shipping

How much would shipping cost,how would I go about shipping them,and what are the legalities of them in Louisiana..does anyone know? I have a hard time finding anything about the laws here...thanks for all your help guys *:) How much do they normally sell for?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How much would shipping cost,how would I go about shipping them,and what are the legalities of them in Louisiana..does anyone know? I have a hard time finding anything about the laws here...thanks for all your help guys *:) How much do they normally sell for?
USPS express will be about 20 bucks priority about 6
i dont remember the price of slings, they arent a real expensive species i dont think . i would wait till the slings are at least a .5" leg span

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
look in the for sale section for price and an idead what shipping is gonna run you. do a seach for how to package and ship Ts im sure there is a post on how to do so (if not there should be :p ) as for laws dunno as long as its not going out of the us or comming in i dont even look into it

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't know of any laws regarding inverts in Louisiana, there's some bs in some places about having pythons like in bossier, but I don't think it's a problem for ts

besides if there were laws it's not like the cops know them.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Are they as venomous as adults?"

There are few who could accurately tell you anything about tarantulas' venom without speculating, but one thing is certain, spiderlings that size usually exihibit a nervous/skittish behaviour as opposed to an aggressive one. If you still want to be cautious, buy plastic gloves (commonly used to clean kitchens/bathrooms) and use long tweezers to manipulate the t's movements. You can coax each one into tiny vials or all into one container. I reccommend you not panic, and plan your course of action.

You might as well put them in a seperate container because you're going to have to sooner or later. As far as selling them. As a few have mentioned in previous posts, yes, they are common. I'm sure you could sell them off for $2/each if you wanted. If you want to rid yourself of them in a hurry, just post a FOR FREE (FF: Usamabara slings) and make sure they pay shipping.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. What a rare and unusual find you've had. Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask questions! Most people, if not everyone, is always eager to assist others with matters relating to tarantulas!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There may be a few threads around here about shipping, but I think most are about shipping adult tarantulas. Ive found the best way to learn how to ship slings is from buying them and taking notes on how the seller shipped them. After awhile you will see what works and what dosnt. For me overnight shipping always costs me $19.50.

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a beautiful Usambara baboon about 6-7 months ago....and lo and behold,we found 30-40 mini baboons yesterday. I'm NOT an experienced breeder..what do I do? Are they as venomous as adults? How do I catch them? I hate to kill them,I'd love to sell them...you can't find them around here. How do I care for sling? ANy and all information would be helpful,thanks!
i would be looking for the other 1000 babies personally lol

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow

I live in a tiny lil town in Louisiana...apparently no one around here knows where to find spiders,because I've already had offers of $20 a sling...and no shipping hassels! lol Poor fools. I hate to take advantage...but...I guess they should learn to do research before they buy! Maybe they could sell faster if I threw in an enclosure lol. Thanks for everyone's help...maybe I'll use this learning experience to breed others...I've always wanted a P. metallica...

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd make sure they knew something about what they are getting their hands on. They aren't just like the spiders you'll find outside your house....as you probably know. They can be a bit fiesty and fast...

~Fred

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd make sure they knew something about what they are getting their hands on. They aren't just like the spiders you'll find outside your house....as you probably know. They can be a bit fiesty and fast...

~Fred
I can just see the headlines now:

"Orange Bitey Things wreak havoc in small Louisiana town." lmao {D

Yeah, make sure you let people know they are not docile or even known for mild tempers. I have this species on my "black list", which is T's I think would kick my ass...lol. :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could OBT's survive in louisiana? Maybe he should let them all go and add some REAL excitement to that sleepy small town...

(Obviously, i am kidding. It's a terrible idea.)

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just go order a sub from Quizno's and take all their condiment cups. That's what I do.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Could OBT's survive in louisiana? Maybe he should let them all go and add some REAL excitement to that sleepy small town..." - etown_411

that's what I said but instead of Lake Charles go over to Sulfur they need something interesting.. anywhere in that place it's a boring hole

OBT's are considered hardy right? I don't think the humidity would be a problem would it?