HELP!! Surprise Sicarius terrosus eggsack

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
I have a surprise eggsack. Was planning on mating her with my male, but it's already been done for me. Any advice on how to deal with the babies once they hatch. The eggsack is on a piece of cork bark that I can easily remove from the tank without harm to the sack or to Ashland. Would it be okay to move the cork bark and sack to another tank so when it hatches I don't have to worry about mamma when separating them?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You mention that you were "planning on mating her" with your male. Are you sure she has mated? Was she wild-caught as an adult? If she has not mated, the egg sac will be a dud and it won't matter whether you remove it or not. Most spiders seem to lay egg sacs regardless of whether they've mated or not - and will even guard/carry the sacs around with them, at least for awhile. (I've had "dud" sacs from a variety of spiders, including Selenops sp., Heteropoda davidbowie, Hogna sp., Black and Brown Widows, Lynx spiders, Argiope argentata, Argiope trifasciata, and assorted jumping spiders.)

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
I got her captive bred from net bug. If it's a dud I still have the opportunity to raise this species from sack to adult hood on my terms. Still surprised me though.

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definitely a dud if she was captive bred. I'd pull the sac and wait a couple weeks, then mate her with the male like you were planning.