Help spider ID

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
My husband found this spider in the bathroom, and we are wondering what it is. Sorry for the crappy pics. The abdomen is entirely black on the top, even though it doesn't look it in some of the pics. Underneath it is a lighter brown, with darker brown markings similar to an hour glass. Thanks for any help and again sorry for crappy pics. Best I could do.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, your pictures are fine in this case! This is Steatoda borealis, a common cobweb spider that often finds its way into Alberta homes. They are completely harmless and good to have around, because they eat a lot of insect pests that wander indoors (like carpet beetles, for example). There are several of them in my basement.

Here is some more info, with pictures: http://bugguide.net/node/view/34676

Last edited:

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the ID. We have her in a container with some sticks, and she has eaten a small cricket. Not much left when she was done.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, your pictures are fine in this case! This is Steatoda borealis, a common cobweb spider that often finds its way into Alberta homes. They are completely harmless and good to have around, because they eat a lot of insect pests that wander indoors (like carpet beetles, for example). There are several of them in my basement.

Here is some more info, with pictures: http://bugguide.net/node/view/34676
Do you know how long they live? It isn't very active, at least when I was watching it, but I plan to keep it anyways.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
JSloan beat me to it! yep, definitely S. borealis. :D

they should stick around for a decent amount of time. few years give or take. don't know about this specific spider though (obviously).

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had some adult females live for about six months in captivity, but I don't know what their maximum life span might be. You'll probably find that it is more active at night than during the day, unless something is caught in its web.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Borealis lives a few seasons [years] from what I have seen...like grossa in life span...cool spiders that entertain well when feeding