Help - sick lethargic scorpion dying-maybe - new owner.

venomglide

Arachnopeon
As far as the build up, I am thinking it must be the playa dust, I just found a photo of him before I kidnapped him, on day one of Burningman, and so before he was exposed to that dust for a week.

Is there anyway that I can just dunk him in water and scrub him really good and really fast?
Hello,

That is what i was thinking too.. :D but i would not dare... how about wiping it with a damp tissue? using a tweezer?

leighannedelray

Arachnopeon
Well, I am swabbing him with a wet q-tip, and he is letting me clean him for about 2 minutes, until he is just overly aggravated with me, so I just do it until he is unhappy, and then I stop.
I have cleaned him with the q-tip a few times now, and I think it is a little better.
I am not worried about it at all as far as appearances go, just concerned because that dust causes chemical burns after long term on people skin. So, the quicker I can get it off of him, the better. (If that is what the discoloration is). Will keep you all posted.
Thanks for all your help.
Leigh Anne DelRay:)

venomglide

Arachnopeon
what made you suspect that? would he still live after being dunked in alcohol?
hello cannabeast. here is the quote from the first page

First, thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.
I rescued this lovely scorpion from a terrible testosterone bar that fought them and then dunked their little bodies in vodka and drank them. I just pulled off a sort of scorpion kidnapping.
It would not be suspecting. The rescuer snatched it away.

Maybe this emp is immune to alcohol just kidding, but IMO when this emp was dunked into an alcohol maybe it doesn't breath and it is just there in a short period of time.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
aha, thanks for clearing that up.. its sounds like a pretty tolerant imp. sounds like he really took a beating. yeah maybe he doesnt breathe in alcohol, but im not sure why his ligaments and mouth and everything wouldnt have been damaged by the alcohol. anyway this has been a pretty baffling and extraordinary thread. the imperator is starting to look much better. im amazed... keep posted on whats going on with that little guy. REMEMBER: SCORPIONS ARENT INTOXICATING!!! ... but they make cats vomit when consumed so dont let your cat eat emperors, dead or alive.

venomglide

Arachnopeon
aha, thanks for clearing that up.. its sounds like a pretty tolerant imp. sounds like he really took a beating. yeah maybe he doesnt breathe in alcohol, but im not sure why his ligaments and mouth and everything wouldnt have been damaged by the alcohol. anyway this has been a pretty baffling and extraordinary thread. the imperator is starting to look much better. im amazed... keep posted on whats going on with that little guy. REMEMBER: SCORPIONS ARENT INTOXICATING!!! ... but they make cats vomit when consumed so dont let your cat eat emperors, dead or alive.
hehehe maybe the scorp don't serve its purpose yet so he must not be dead, and he must be snatch by leighannedelray so that the cat could eat it... maybe that is what the emps purpose hehehe just kidding

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
hello cannabeast. here is the quote from the first page

It would not be suspecting. The rescuer snatched it away.

Maybe this emp is immune to alcohol just kidding, but IMO when this emp was dunked into an alcohol maybe it doesn't breath and it is just there in a short period of time.
I was brainstorming, the white film could have been from the alcohol, short term submersion.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
hehehe maybe the scorp don't serve its purpose yet so he must not be dead, and he must be snatch by leighannedelray so that the cat could eat it... maybe that is what the emps purpose hehehe just kidding

haha yeah, but for real.. how did retarded people keep him alive so long?

leighannedelray

Arachnopeon
OK, so I have done all that you suggest. I think he is better. But I am worried about the white stuff still. I think it is playa dust. And the only way that I was able to get that off my own feet was to soak them in vinegar!
It is a alkaline, and it is neutralized with a base.
I just went to a scorpion, tarantula, and reptile show here in Tucson today, and he is not at all like he should be, just with that white stuff all over him.

If you guys are thinking it won't harm him, I will shut up about it. I just would hate for him to be slowly dying while I do nothing about it.

The qtip swabbing is doing nothing but making him hate me.

Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been thinking of your little guy! I'm glad he is doing better, but that white stuff would bother me too - mainly if it is on the outside, did he ingest any of it. You have gone above and beyond to help this scorpion. What a kind person you are. :)

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I remeber when i first put my Pandius Cavimanus in its encloser it went right into its water dish, and stayed in their for a minute or so..... a bath can't hurt??

I always thought emperors tolerant of water, Ive seen mine at his water dish cleaning himself.

I think if the Q-tip swabbing has failed you should find a 1" or so deep water dish, Put it into its encloser, add distilled water if available.
Coax it into the bath.

Change the water frequently.

Im glad its health has improved. The change from the first set of photos is quite remarkable.

Good work. :)
Bam

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a alkaline, and it is neutralized with a base.
OK - You're not a chemist. Alkaline = Base. Two different words for the same high pH value. If you want to neutralize an alkaline or a base, you use acid. But please do not dunk your scorpion in acid to make him clean and shiny again. (And yes, vinegar is acidic.)

Best thing you can do at this point is give him a good environment to live in. And emperor scorpions like to burrow in warm, humid substrate. Use peat, or a peat/coco fiber substrate (that will provide a very slight, safe level of acidity, if that makes you feel better) several inches deep, keep him warm (not hot, maybe 80 degrees or so), and feed him once in a while. The rest should take care of itself. Try to let him take it easy - avoid handling and stressing him. These guys have slow metabolisms and you won't see any immediate changes, but be patient and all might turn out well.

If you really need to clean him off - use a spray bottle of distilled water or spring water and mist him a bit. But don't do it more than once or twice. If the stuff doesn't rinse off the first time, it probably won't rinse off the 10th or 20th time. And he doesn't need the added stress.