Help sexing Emperor Scorpions

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if someone could take a look at my 4 Emperor Scorpions and help me determine the sex of them? Any input would be really appreciated!! Thanks!!

Attachments

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Well, I see 4 females...
Ok, I was thinking that too, but then I thought upper right could possible look male, the rest female? But I'm just going by the little bit of info I found searching online..

Ran

Arachnoknight
Upper right has the most fly head like operculum than the other 3 to me. See the split on the bottom of the operculum, that plus the triangular shape (fly head like) is what you look for in a female. Males operculums are oblong in shape with no split at the bottom.

david booth

Arachnosquire
I think you could possibly have three female, one male. The bottom left operculum is much rougher and Bumpy than the others smooth more defined ones. BUT!!
The pestines teeth don't look very long. Maybe a bad photo. It's hard to tell

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
I think you could possibly have three female, one male. The bottom left operculum is much rougher and Bumpy than the others smooth more defined ones. BUT!!
The pestines teeth don't look very long. Maybe a bad photo. It's hard to tell
Ok awesome! The reason I'm asking is because one looks gravid, and I didn't want to separate her if I have all boys (which is what I was told they were) One is nearly twice the size of the others!

Attachments

david booth

Arachnosquire
Ok awesome! The reason I'm asking is because one looks gravid, and I didn't want to separate her if I have all boys (which is what I was told they were) One is nearly twice the size of the others!
I would say that one is female, short pestine teeth, Smooth operculum with a mantis head shape to it. I would say likely hood is that they are all female. It's just that bottom Left one thats a tricky one because of the photo. I very much doubt that they are all male lol. But somebody else will chime in and confirm. There are some very knolwedgable people on here.

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
I would say that one is female, short pestine teeth, Smooth operculum with a mantis head shape to it. I would say likely hood is that they are all female. It's just that bottom Left one thats a tricky one because of the photo. I very much doubt that they are all male lol. But somebody else will chime in and confirm. There are some very knolwedgable people on here.
Ok perfect! They are all wild caught and I've had them about 6months. I was doing a bit of reading, is it true they can be pregnant for up to a year?
I'm more familiar with tarantulas, these are my first scorpions!

david booth

Arachnosquire
Ok perfect! They are all wild caught and I've had them about 6months. I was doing a bit of reading, is it true they can be pregnant for up to a year?
I'm more familiar with tarantulas, these are my first scorpions!
It all depends on the conditions mate. If the temps are good (24-29) and the humidity is high and there is lots of food it can be much shorter than a year. But it can be longer aswell. I would try not to handle that one at all. that can delay it aswell. I've never had a gravid scorp but I've done alot of research.

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
It all depends on the conditions mate. If the temps are good (24-29) and the humidity is high and there is lots of food it can be much shorter than a year. But it can be longer aswell. I would try not to handle that one at all. that can delay it aswell. I've never had a gravid scorp but I've done alot of research.
So even if I do have all females, there is a possibility she could be with gestation periods that long because of wild caught. I think I might separate her for a bit, and see if she is just gravid, or just the dominant one of the bunch and taking the most crickets lol! Thank you for all your help!!! I appreciate you taking the time :)

david booth

Arachnosquire
So even if I do have all females, there is a possibility she could be with gestation periods that long because of wild caught. I think I might separate her for a bit, and see if she is just gravid, or just the dominant one of the bunch and taking the most crickets lol! Thank you for all your help!!! I appreciate you taking the time :)
No worries dude. Your welcome. If you do seperate her, make sure your going to leave her in there until she has her brood. If you keep swapping and changing she could get stressed and have a bad brood. she might be gravid or she might just be greedy lol :):)

AP34

Arachnosquire
P. Imperator should have a pectinal teeth number between 15-19. Males generally have more pectinal teeth than females, but there is some overlap. Hope this and the pictures I found will help.

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Wow! Those pics are great! I found a blurry comparison pic in a google search, but those are way better! Thank you!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They should not be on that wood chip looking substrate. They should be on several inches of moist coco fiber or soil substrate to burrow in and for maintaining humidity.