Help S.Morsitans hurt itself

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I just recently had a 7cm long S.Morsitans delivered and somewhere between the retrieval process it damaged it's mid-low segments and one side seemed to have burst! :(
A few hours later and it is oozing a brownish liquid from the sides and swollen up to twice the normal size in 3 segments.

It is moving the other segments apart from the 3 that are swollen and lost 3 legs and the use of 3 others.. the little trooper seems as tenacious as ever and is cleaning itself, at times it seems to be using it's mandibles to pull itself along because of the inability to move those parts.... :(

I have never had this happen with a pede before and am disheartened to see her/him in this state... I have isolated it from it's enclosure and put it in an ICU (plastic tub with damp tissue paper).

Do you think it will survive?

I havent had it too long and have already grown attached to this one... It was listed as a Red head centipede and looks like one but without the red head, although the tail matches in size, shape, and colour (red).

Any advice is massively appreciated.

Last edited:

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is dying by the looks of things :(...

Nothing I could do to save it.... :mad:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm sorry to hear that dude. you might want to contact the seller to let him or her know that they didn't pack it well... if that was the case.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm sorry to hear that dude. you might want to contact the seller to let him or her know that they didn't pack it well... if that was the case.
Yea they are sending me a replacement; Tanzanian Blue Legged Centipede
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus

Which 10cm, i'm not sure what the variant will be though! :D

Shame though I really liked the look of the one I was recently sent.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, that sound like a ticket to scoloheaven.....the brownish liquid is it's haemolymphic fluid (blood)...good that they send you a replacement.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Uhfortunately it was almost certialny a "it was dead, just didn't know it yet" scenerios I am sure.