Help! Rose hair molt problems

Zachi33s

Arachnopeon
So this morning I woke up to find my rose hair tarantula on its side. After many hours, the tarantula as moved upright and has begun molting. Well, I assume so. For the past few week he hasn't been eating and has all other symptoms of pre-molt. There has been no break in any of the old skin, besides a wrinkly abdomen. He has been trying to break free but to no avail. I have humidified the room and waited patiently. So far it has been around 13 hours since I found him on his side. What do I do?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
At 13 hours I think it may be too late.
Have any pics?
Do you know if it's a mature male?

Zachi33s

Arachnopeon

here is a picture of him. I suspect he was at the pet store for about 3-4 years, and I had him for around 3.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Do you know how to tell if it's a mature male?
If not, do you have pics of him from before that might show his palps or front legs clearly?
Mature males will have tibial hooks under their first pair of legs and bulbs at the end of their palps.

If it is indeed a mature male, they typically do not molt after maturity.
If they do attempt to, it almost always results in death, or severe deformity.
Being stuck and only shedding the abdomen and a few legs is usually what happens IME.

If it isn't mature, and it's just stuck, you are more than likely out of luck at 13 hours into the molt, as it has most likely begun to harden by this point.
Still, if you are feeling confident, you can try and remove it yourself very carefully. This requires some tiny makeshift tools, a steady hand, and patience. Accidentally cutting into or severing the tarantula are high, as the exo is still fairly soft. Even if you are successful, chances for survival are slim.

Zachi33s

Arachnopeon
Sorry, yes he is a mature male. Which is why I'm startled about him molting this late in his lifespan. Should I still attempt to remove the exoskeleton myself, or is it pointless?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I wouldn't bother with a post ultimate molt; He'd be done for either way.
Sucks. It seems to happen often with these long lived mature males.

Zachi33s

Arachnopeon
Bummer, I would've been surprised if he made it out of this alive. Sucks that he had no chance though. Thanks for helping me out. Now I can stop bringing boiling pots of hot water into my room for humidity at 2 in the morning.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Bummer, I would've been surprised if he made it out of this alive. Sucks that he had no chance though. Thanks for helping me out. Now I can stop bringing boiling pots of hot water into my room for humidity at 2 in the morning.
That is a real shame, sorry for your loss pal, unfortunately that's nature. When my males have matured in the past I've always done my best to pair them even if I don't have my own female, I have sent out MM for free to people, just saying, in future try to get them to pair before their short life comes to an end.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Bummer indeed. It's sad to lose a T you've enjoyed keeping and caring for. I am sorry.

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Lost my MM rosea a couple weeks ago the same way... Attempting a post-ultimate molt. I can certainly empathize and may I suggest an effective coping strategy... buy 4 spiderlings. Worked for me :happy:.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My condolences for your loss. :shy:
I am sure your guy lived a lovely, cozy life in your care.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I wasn't sure if this was OPs only T or not.
But agree with @Nanchantress to buy some slings or another adult T to fill the void.
I view it as an homage to the lost T - that having had your special guy, he taught you that could not live without Ts. A real tribute, really, to his memory.