help! possible mites

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
So, I picked up this lovely B. smithi while I was on vacation. Got home and was about to put him in his new home and noticed teeny tiny white bugs crawling around his container. I moved him to an empty deli container until I figure out what to do (like a quarantine). I've never dealt with mites or other pests before so I don't know what to do. I don't want to transfer bugs into his new home. So what do you experts do?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Unless your enclosure is excessively moist (it shouldn't be) or full of boli and dead prey (again, shouldn't be), the mites (or springtails, or whatever they are) will just die off due to inhospitable conditions. Most mites are harmless anyway; you should only be concerned if you see a ridiculously large amount of them crawling all over the T.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
So, I picked up this lovely B. smithi while I was on vacation. Got home and was about to put him in his new home and noticed teeny tiny white bugs crawling around his container. I moved him to an empty deli container until I figure out what to do (like a quarantine). I've never dealt with mites or other pests before so I don't know what to do. I don't want to transfer bugs into his new home. So what do you experts do?
What you are describing sounds like scavenger/cleaner mites which are harmless. The only mites of concern are parasitic, they attach themselves around the carapace and chelicerae. They have only been theorized to harm slings. Now, to see these parasitic mites on a sling you will need a microscope or a high zoom camera lens. I have good vision and need mechanical assistance to see them. Therefore, many keepers raise their slings with infestation unknowingly.

If you want to know more (as I mentioned before to you) most of the questions your going to post have already been asked on here 100+ times, this topic is no exception. The most knowledgeable people on this topic won't be commenting every time it's asked. The site's search function is a newbies best friend. After you have read as many threads as you can take on the topic, then ask your questions if you still have them.
Good luck and happy keeping.

Last edited: