help plz, snake wont eat!

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok.. let me start off with this
this is a snake i adopited with 2 others a few days ago, i posted a thread about it and its a few foarms down.
any one the snake that wont eat is a reticulated python. thay told me she hasnt eatin in 3 to 4 weeks.
im thinking thear is something wrong with her. shes still on frozen fuzzys, so i put them into hot water to heat them up. i dangle it in front of them to get thear atintion, and make it seem as if it whear a live..
the snake stuck it and bit at it, missing it 3 times*after 30 mins of hanging it in front of it...* finaly she bit it, but then just droped it and left it thear... i let the fuzzy stay with it for about 15 min, and still nothing...

im trying so hard... and i just donno what to do...
help plz?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea i know... this guy didnt take care of them at all
im worried hes not able to sence the fuzzy.. maby i should find some live fuzzys and try that..

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would definately try a live one now if it isnt eating.. anything you can do to make it enticing

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but whear to get live fuzzys?? not a single place near hear offers them.. the closet place is a 15 min drive from hear, and i dont have a car or any thing..

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heat the fuzzy like you have been doing and put the snake in a small container (paper bag, small box, whatever) with the fuzzy. Put the container inside the regular enclosure. Leave for a while....longer than a few minutes. Try a few hours or even overnight. Try to disturb the snake as little as possible.

While you're doing that check to make sure the temperatures and humidity in the snake's enclosure are where they need to be.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely check to make sure your temps are good in the enclosure. When you thaw the fuzzy, put it in a zip-loc bag before you put it in the warm water. Some snakes will not eat wet mice. Putting the snake and fuzzy together in a bag or small container often works too. Don't panic. 3-4 weeks is not such a long time for a snake to go without eating.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A python's metabolism is fairly slow. Leave it alone for a few days, and I mean completely alone, and then try again.

3-4 weeks really isn't a lot for a python.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A python's metabolism is fairly slow. Leave it alone for a few days, and I mean completely alone, and then try again.

3-4 weeks really isn't a lot for a python.
Seconded. My ball python hasn't eaten since before winter started, but then he's also in the middle of breeding season. {D Also you have to consider that the snake is in a new house, and a new enclosure right? Most snakes stop eating for a while when things change around them.

How big around is the snake? The prey should be just about as big around as the fattest part of the animal...a wee little fuzzy might just be too dang tiny to attract the right attention.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT start offering live food until you've exhausted all other options. It can be a huge struggle to get them back on dead prey (if they ever switch back), and live prey can eventually result in nasty scars, permanent eye damage, or death. :embarrassed:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Another tip: I've noticed that most of the corn babies take to pinkies easier if the pinky isn't heated in hot water but in lukewarm water. (Yes, not same snake I know, but worth trying anyhow). And the bag defrosting thing, I completely agree with that also.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A fuzzy seems like a small prey item to a retic. They are fully capable to tackle large mice
Some snakes dont want smaller prey and eat just fine on larger meals.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry too much about 3-4 weeks, especially considering where this snake has been and the conditions. And definitely thaw the food inside a plastic bag in the heated water... it tends to keep more of its lovely scent (ewww) and attract the snake better.
I also agree not to go with live until you've exhausted every option... the injuries can be fatal to your snake and it's already been traumatized by its previous owner. Enough is enough.
Can you take it to an Exotics veterinarian or at least have an experienced herp person look at it? It's a good idea at this point.

Good Luck!

Gonzo BobH

Arachnopeon
ok..
im trying so hard... and i just donno what to do...
help plz?
Snakes will be like that.
So don't panic.

You may want to consider lancing the skull of the pinkie (whatever) with an exacto bland and squeezing out some brain matter. I had luck using this technique to get hognoses to imprint upon mice as a food source, and would occasionally use it with difficult eaters (read: ball pythons).

Check your temps and humidity.
Keep offering and you should be fine.
Good luck.
{D
/s/
BobH