Help please

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello all, i have need of advice with a Malasian green mantis. He shed yesterday but choe a posion that made him come out and push up against the glass of the tank:eek: . He now has a hunched back, does not seam as alert as befor. does not seam to be able to suport his weight and cant use one of his from legs/claws. :( :(
Also one of his wing buds, is sticking right up and looks like a new leaf bud off a tree. He has improved, but is still not right, he has not cleaned himself since the shed. I plan to try and feed him tonight see if he takes, or not. It is still reacting and showing me the deffecive show when they put their arms up and out by their head, but its not up to actually lashing out, it allowed me to pick it by the thorax, this would normaly result in me geting a sharp nip.
Will this poor guy live and if so, i think the next shed will be his last to adult hood, will all the deffects come out in the wash, when he sheds next.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He may not eat for a day or two after a molt.

I have a budwing female that came out with a hunch back and forearms slightly askew. She can still take prey but is a bit clumsy.

Mantids can be induced to eat by holding them and sticking the food in their face until they begin to chew on it. They will get their claws on it and begin to eat it and you can let them go. This method is a bit hit or miss.

I don't know if a mantis can straighten out in a subsequent shed. It would need to be able to position itself correctly.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks, thats a relife that this is a natural occurance and not due to something i did. But what you have described there is exactly what myone is like. I will try him on some grub in a day or so.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hand fed my manitds alot and they get used to it really quick. Good luck with yours.