Help Please: Death Curl?

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
What science article taught you this?

For how long? GBBs are very resilient.
For a GBB to die of dehydration it has to be thin to start with.
It's more just general research. No peer reviewed journals that I have read. Mostly just breeders and message boards. Like not keeping GBB on moist substrate and keeping Avics on moist substrate. As much as I would love to consider myself an "arachnosquire" I'm literally just an idiot with spiders I like to look up on the internet and keep. I would though like to consider myself a semi pro on L. Reclusa after unsuccessfully and then successfully breeding some 300+ slings. I'm still just a dummy with spiders. I think Vetter's book makes me at least a bit more knowledgeable than the hillbilly that is cutting grass with his teeth and eats a steady diet of mayonnaise sandwiches.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's more just general research. No peer reviewed journals that I have read. Mostly just breeders and message boards. Like not keeping GBB on moist substrate and keeping Avics on moist substrate. As much as I would love to consider myself an "arachnosquire" I'm literally just an idiot with spiders I like to look up on the internet and keep. I would though like to consider myself a semi pro on L. Reclusa after unsuccessfully and then successfully breeding some 300+ slings. I'm still just a dummy with spiders. I think Vetter's book makes me at least a bit more knowledgeable than the hillbilly that is cutting grass with his teeth and eats a steady diet of mayonnaise sandwiches.
Makes sense!

Grab water from humidity though- I find that impossible to believe.

How are they obtaining the water?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Grab water from humidity though- I find that impossible to believe.

How are they obtaining the water?
Mealworm larvae can do this (they absorb it through their rectum from the air). I've not see any papers saying tarantulas can do this. Only that they drink through their mouthparts, in the old-fashioned way. Somewhere along the line, I think someone must have said that moist substrate is for raising the humidity so water can be absorbed from the air, because I've seen that one raised a few times recently... but it's actually the reverse. Mealworms live in very dry conditions with no drinking water and dry food, which is why they do what they do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mealworm larvae can do this (they absorb it through their rectum from the air). I've not see any papers saying tarantulas can do this. Only that they drink through their mouthparts, in the old-fashioned way. Somewhere along the line, I think someone must have said that moist substrate is for raising the humidity so water can be absorbed from the air, because I've seen that one raised a few times recently... but it's actually the reverse. Mealworms live in very dry conditions with no drinking water and dry food, which is why they do what they do.
And the “mystery” continues.