help please

jimip

Arachnosquire
so lets play a games.... whats this haplo. also size and humidity my roommate brought it home and now its trying to eat me.

Attachments

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so lets play a games.... whats this haplo.
It looks like it could possibly be H. sp.Vietnam. It isn't the best picture and even though we have one of that species, I can't say for sure.

also size
This would be something you would tell us. We have no size reference, so when you try and measure for yourself with a ruler; measure from the front leg on one side, to the back leg of the opposite side. That will give you the D(iagonal)L(eg)S(pan).

Whatever the size though, that T is either pregnant or morbidly obese. I am leaning more towards pregnant, but let someone who has bred Ts weigh in on that one. I have not.

and humidity
We keep ours fairly humid. You can achieve this by having a large water dish and limited ventilation, or by wetting some/ a small portion/ a corner or two of the substrate once a week or so. We have that enclosure planted with a large water dish and limited ventilation. The plants get watered roughly every other/ third week. It is pretty humid at all times, but that is not from watering the plants alone. If you don't have a planted enclosure, then moistening the substrate may not be the route for you.

my roommate brought it home and now its trying to eat me.
Then leave it alone. Give it 6+ inches of substrate, start it a burrow in one of the front corners and then leave it in a quiet place. Haplopelmas are obligate burrowers, so when they don't have a burrow or the ability to burrow, it can stress them. It is most likely a W(ild)C(aught) pregnant female and who knows how long it has been here in the states. If it was recently caught and imported, it has had enough stress, now it needs quiet and darkness if you can manage it. When we first bought ours, she was WC, pregnant and super defensive. She stridulated at us the very first night, as we were preparing to put her in her enclosure. She was extremely defensive, but once she made herself a burrow to be able to run and hide in; she doesn't throw threat displays anymore.

It will most likely just be a pet hole that you feed. We see ours when she is hungry, because she will come to the top of her burrow to perch.......and wait. She is a beautiful svelte black when she is freshly molted, but gets to be a pretty dingy brown before she does molt.

jimip

Arachnosquire
she has a burrow but will not hesitate to leave if i where to enter the enclosure. also size is hard because she is not coaperative but if i had to guess..... 3 or 5 inches dls.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is Ms. X's female Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam". I took these pics when we rehoused her:

It's difficult to tell by your pics, as curiousme already said. Hopefully these pics can help you compare them.

jimip

Arachnosquire
she just wont let me get a better picture. she does lack the blonde leg segments of the haplopelma albostriatum she looks alot like either a veitnam or vanworthi.... whats the difference in them anyway?

Robertb

Arachnopeon
I just traded mine. Beautiful pics by the way. FWY its either Longipes or vonwirthi for sure!

jimip

Arachnosquire
thats very helpfull... why 2 different names for one spider? cant we jsut agree on something and stick to it?

kimmikat687

Arachnopeon
Whats this haplo?

I'm still a noob when it comes to figuring out a T based on pics, but she looks like an H lividum to me... Does it look like this?

This is my H lividum, Cobie.

I could be wrong, but from what I can see, thats what it looks like.