Help please- Goliath Bird eating tarantula

marksemo97

Arachnopeon
I need some help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did her encloser like I should. I have the correct substate and coconut fibers. I have a borrow and water. I spray everyday to keep it humid. I even have a towel over her to keep the humidity in. I feed her the roaches too. She's acting weird and has bald spots. What could i be doing wrong?

Attachments

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
The whole thing is wrong. You've created a death trap. Is that a heat lamp? If it is, remove it. Stop misting every day and keeping a towel over it, put way more substrate.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Your enclosure should be filled about 2/3 with moist substrate. Trade out that half log hide (it'll mold) for a large slab of cork bark and bury it half way in one corner. Put a large water dish in there to provide drinking water and that along with adding water directly to the substrate every week or 2 is all you'll need to do to maintain proper humidity. No heat lamp or heat mat needed. The strange behavior is likely due to stress from spraying constantly, as well as the bald spots (those are normal and the hairs will grow back next time it molts). If the enclosure has a screen top you should replace it with an acrylic top that has holes drilled for airflow.

Do more research on Theraphosa stirmi using the search function in the upper right corner of the page.

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
That tank should be half full of substrate. Take any heating mats, cables, and lamps away. You shouldn’t have to mist every day to keep the substrate moist.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Mine absolutely hates light, put it someplace dark and quiet.
If you haven't seen this yet:

Lurtz

Arachnopeon
I honestly want to know where you got your info from. That whole setup is completely wrong. I don’t know who’d recommend misting every day, especially for an adult, and I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone to ever suggest a towel for humidity. Combined with the lack of substrate and the heat lamp it just looks like you were completely misinformed or didn’t bother to properly research.