Help picking species

Maloney456

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to get into the hobby but unfortunately have a career that requires me to be away for 2-3 month intervals. I was hoping some of you might have some insight on some species that can go that long without a feeding? Water is not an issue, my girlfriend agreed to do that much for me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well if water/watering isn't an issue and your only concern is food alone, there's a lot (assuming adults, and not slings, more delicate). Think that once my Hysterocrates gigas disappeared for almost four months, without food of course. Just an example, of course, I'm not suggesting an African as first one.

Maloney456

Arachnopeon
Alright those are some decent suggestions. The Euathlus sp. we're some of the Ts I was looking at so that's good to know. As my first T I don't think old world species would be good especially since my gf will be helping out.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Alright those are some decent suggestions. The Euathlus sp. we're some of the Ts I was looking at so that's good to know. As my first T I don't think old world species would be good especially since my gf will be helping out.
Almost any Bachypelma or Grammostola sp. will work. They have beautiful colors in many different pattern, don't eat very much, and get a pretty decent size. Love B. emelia :D

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Have a G. pulchra and G. pulchripes that I raised from 1/4" slings. Both have about a 3 inch legspan, and neither of them have eaten in over a year. I offer food once a week, and keep the fresh water coming, but they're basically pet rocks. Not sure if your specimen would be the same if you tried one, but they seem very hardy and low-maintenance.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
A few of my personal favorite beginner friendly species that could work..
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma Vagans
Grammostola pulchripes
Aphonopelma hentzi
Aphonopelma chalcodes

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you really dont have to worry about your spider not having enough to eat. NWs are pretty much built for long fasts.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I'd recommend any juvenile/adult from the Brachypelma and Grammostola genera. They have easier care requirements than other species and Grammostola's are known for going on long fasts

Maloney456

Arachnopeon
Those are all good suggestions and a lot of them I have looked at, but to be honest I've kind of had my heart set on a GBB. I like the coloration and the webbing of them. Whats your opinion on the 2-3 month fast on those guys?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Those are all good suggestions and a lot of them I have looked at, but to be honest I've kind of had my heart set on a GBB. I like the coloration and the webbing of them. Whats your opinion on the 2-3 month fast on those guys?
...meh, to me GBBs aren't really the kind of spider for that.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
GBB's are voracious eaters and pretty fast growers.. which means faster metabolism. An adult can do 5 weeks without food no problem, especially if it gets good meals each week while you are home but a sling or a juvie would maybe not be so good. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
An Eupalaestrus campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) juvi or adult would work as well.
I think most adults could be an option, except GBB like others stated.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Eauthlus, any Brachy, any Grammo. Nothing with a voracious appetite like a GBB, A. genic, or LP and I would stay away from Theraphosa or other tropicals unless your girlfriend is experienced with keeping tarantulas and keeping the sub the correct dampness.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
...meh, to me GBBs aren't really the kind of spider for that.
A GBB is a great spider to own, but your girl friend would need to drop a nice size cricket, meal worm, Dubia, etc. in there once per week while you are out of town for it to thrive.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Aphonopelma chalcodes
Agreed^

These are native to the deserts of the Southwest US so they will be fine if your girlfriend forgets to water it occasionally. Slow moving, slow growing, very beginner friendly. Also friendly on the wallet haha. I caught one as my first T and I adore her. She once went on a 4 month fast.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm looking to get into the hobby but unfortunately have a career that requires me to be away for 2-3 month intervals. I was hoping some of you might have some insight on some species that can go that long without a feeding? Water is not an issue, my girlfriend agreed to do that much for me.
Generally speaking..if you want a large docile T, get a G. pulchripes if you want dwarf (2.5-3") get Euathlus sp. red/yellow

Here's a "Red", I don't have a pic of my AF G. pulchripes just my AF Red.

Given the food issue, I'd go with E. sp Red. Pulchripes has a larger appetite, faster metabolism IME w/both species.

Last edited: