Help on Recording info!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
i know many of you have a book for your t's, statistics, ect
i want to start using one, what information should i include? Thanks!

James

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
umm i just put down my first T.s size how much she feeds,when i fed her thats it until she sheds then i put that down :) but i dont think u really need to even put how often they feed anyway

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You'll get different opinions on this subject, but my feeling is that you should track as little as possible. The only information I track is: species, source where I got it, date that I got it, price that I paid for it, estimation on hatch date (even if all that is is 2000-2001), and, when I remember to write them down, moult dates and, if I feel like it, size after a given moult.

Anyone who starts out tracking things like feedings and such is either an anal retentive freak cut out for a career in laboratory research, or very new to the hobby. I've got better things to do than write down several hundred feedings a year. I mean, I can't even bother to write down moults religiously. There's just too many of them, and I've seen too many over the years to get all excited about writing down every single time a spider sheds its skin when it doesn't actually do you a bit of good other than make you feel like a "serious hobbyist".

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

Anyone who starts out tracking things like feedings and such is either an anal retentive freak cut out for a career in laboratory research, or very new to the hobby. ".
<cough> hey ive only got 1 so its not too hard to keep track lol

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
You'll get different opinions on this subject, but my feeling is that you should track as little as possible. The only information I track is: species, source where I got it, date that I got it, price that I paid for it, estimation on hatch date (even if all that is is 2000-2001), and, when I remember to write them down, moult dates and, if I feel like it, size after a given moult.

Anyone who starts out tracking things like feedings and such is either an anal retentive freak cut out for a career in laboratory research, or very new to the hobby. I've got better things to do than write down several hundred feedings a year. I mean, I can't even bother to write down moults religiously. There's just too many of them, and I've seen too many over the years to get all excited about writing down every single time a spider sheds its skin when it doesn't actually do you a bit of good other than make you feel like a "serious hobbyist".
Thanks CM! if you can, can you give me an example? Thanks!

James

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer

Anyone who starts out tracking things like feedings and such is either an anal retentive freak cut out for a career in laboratory research, or very new to the hobby.
Chalk me up as the former, I guess =D My younger sister does lab research, and she's always saying I should be doing it, too.

I record feedings, molts, date and source of acquisition (and dispersal if applicable), plus make notes of injuries and illnesses, treatment if any, vivarium cleanings, and unusual behavior. It IS a certain amount of work, but it's worth it to me as it saves me worry. I know who habitually fasts through the winter months, when a given specimen is likely to molt, and similar useful information. And on occasion it's enabled me to ease others' worries, too.

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi James, this is the amazing, complex record keeping system I use:

Species: Brachypelma albopilosum
ID: BRALBOP02-ES0602-02
Source: e-Spiderworld
Hatch Date: ~05-01
Obtained: 06-08-02
Init. size: 1.75"
Moults:
07-04-02
09-02-02
11-12-02
02-15-03

-------------------------------------
ID Legend:

Genus:
AC = Acanthoscurria
AP = Aphonopelma
AV = Avicularia
BR = Brachypelma
CH = Chromatopelma
CY = Cyclosternum
GR = Grammostola
HE = Heteroscodra
MT = Metriopelma
NH = Nhandu
PM = Pamphobeteus
PT = Pterinochilus

Species - first five letters of species name

Birth last two digits of (suspected) year born

Supplier AR = Arachnocenter
ES = e-Spiderworld
GP = Golden Phoenix Exotica
SI = Swift's Invertebrates
RR = Regal Reptiles

Obtained MM-YY for date entered collection

Representative: The number of this individual as a rep of its species I have kept

EG: ACGENIC02-AR0502-01 is an A. geniculata born in 2002, obtained from Arachnocenter in May, 2002, and the first I've kept since keeping records.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I record the same basic information that Code records but do not give mine a code #...not had that manr yet I suppose.

I also record their general behavior patterns and any unusual behaviors I may see. The reason I record the behavior is so I can compare it with what others have seen and to that of my other T's. I do the same thing for my scorpions.

John
];')

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I help the twins keep a tarantula book with the same information.
Plus where the species originates with a little picture, feedings and just, Everything,, including observational pictures drawn by the twins.

I add as much as possable because it's part of their learning and retaining.
Counting crickets. Comparing sizes.
writting numbers and letters and the like.
So I help them keep all the anal retentive as well.