Help on my Sling L.Klugi!

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
Hi all! I'm new at this hobby. I just got my 2nd T. It's a L.Klugi. My 1st was a GBB, unfortunately it died before it even arrived to me. So the klugi is my only T left. I've got a problem with my Klugi, it's about 3/4". The prob is it wont eat. I'm feeding her(assuming) small meal worms. She would just watch the worms as it pass by her, and sometimes she would run away when the worm touch her. I tried pre killed, she ate once and never again. Is this normal? I heard they're always hungry. I got it for a week now. Pls. help!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all! I'm new at this hobby. I just got my 2nd T. It's a L.Klugi. My 1st was a GBB, unfortunately it died before it even arrived to me. So the klugi is my only T left. I've got a problem with my Klugi, it's about 3/4". The prob is it wont eat. I'm feeding her(assuming) small meal worms. She would just watch the worms as it pass by her, and sometimes she would run away when the worm touch her. I tried pre killed, she ate once and never again. Is this normal? I heard they're always hungry. I got it for a week now. Pls. help!
Make sure there is moisture in the tank, wait a week and try again with crickets.

Also go read the stickies please.

PS: welcome to the board.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
When they are only 3/4" a worm is a big meal. Try offering pre killed food and remove the left overs the next day. Try feeding every 3rd or 4th day. Im sure your sling will eat of its hungry. Moving the cage will disturb them so dont be suprised if it passes up a meal to save its life from a predator. ;) Just give them time to settle in and find the food.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great to hear you have a L. klugi, Ive mated my female and hope to see a result one day. She won best in show at BTS 2010 and at over 8" she makes a great show piece. These are a bulky tarantula, more so that L. parahybana but just slightly smaller. They are great eaters although like many adults don't need to eat as much as their younger members.
Lack of appetite can usually be attributed to an upcoming moult. Check her abdomen, just above the spinaretts for a dark patch, similar to a Jewish skull cap. That's the best indicator.
Tarantula don't eat as much as we would imagine, a meal a week of 1 or 2 crickets (the size of the abdomen) will suffice. They can go without food for long periods as long as they have acccess to water. The signs for issues are wrinkled abdomen.
All tarantula can take a while to adjust to new surroundings, in the wild they are not used to being displaced so there's a settling in period when we put them in a new enclosure. Provide a hide, keep light levels low, introduce food once a week and remove after 24 hrs. Try to keep your substrate off dry with a heat of approx 75F.

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
Make sure there is moisture in the tank, wait a week and try again with crickets.

Also go read the stickies please.

PS: welcome to the board.
Thanks. Should I mist just a side of the enclosure or all the sides? I'm using a small deli cup. I've already read it, thanks.

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
When they are only 3/4" a worm is a big meal. Try offering pre killed food and remove the left overs the next day. Try feeding every 3rd or 4th day. Im sure your sling will eat of its hungry. Moving the cage will disturb them so dont be suprised if it passes up a meal to save its life from a predator. ;) Just give them time to settle in and find the food.

Thanks for the help. No wonder she was scared of the worm. The worm is just small enough for her, can I power feed her? Maybe 2 pre killed worm every time I feed her? Is worm just fine? I cant seem to find pinhead crickets in pet shops in our area. Thanks again.

arañacacata

Arachnopeon
Hello JasonAld
Welcome to the forum, the ideal thing is to give them cricket and to assure him that there dampness in the terrarium and always his water to his disposicon not there about that to worry

Regards arañacacata

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
Great to hear you have a L. klugi, Ive mated my female and hope to see a result one day. She won best in show at BTS 2010 and at over 8" she makes a great show piece. These are a bulky tarantula, more so that L. parahybana but just slightly smaller. They are great eaters although like many adults don't need to eat as much as their younger members.
Lack of appetite can usually be attributed to an upcoming moult. Check her abdomen, just above the spinaretts for a dark patch, similar to a Jewish skull cap. That's the best indicator.
Tarantula don't eat as much as we would imagine, a meal a week of 1 or 2 crickets (the size of the abdomen) will suffice. They can go without food for long periods as long as they have acccess to water. The signs for issues are wrinkled abdomen.
All tarantula can take a while to adjust to new surroundings, in the wild they are not used to being displaced so there's a settling in period when we put them in a new enclosure. Provide a hide, keep light levels low, introduce food once a week and remove after 24 hrs. Try to keep your substrate off dry with a heat of approx 75F.

Wow. That's superb! I wish my baby Zee(thats what I named her) can reach that size some day. I'm very excited. Your tips is much appreciated. Mine is a bit shy. I provided a hide, just a little disturbance and she would run into her hide. I'm using 100% coconut husk as substrate is this ok? I first used a mixture of coconut husk and soil, I find her not comfortable with it. So I changed the substrate. Thanks in advance everyone!

arañacacata

Arachnopeon
A photo of the serious lasiodora klugi of great help to know if a near shed comes closer probably.

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
Hello JasonAld
Welcome to the forum, the ideal thing is to give them cricket and to assure him that there dampness in the terrarium and always his water to his disposicon not there about that to worry

Regards arañacacata
Hello arañacacata!
Thanks! I find this place very useful. Thanks for the tips. I'm just obsessed with my klugi! I love her so much! I want more, and more T's soon! LOL {D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks for the help. No wonder she was scared of the worm. The worm is just small enough for her, can I power feed her? Maybe 2 pre killed worm every time I feed her? Is worm just fine? I cant seem to find pinhead crickets in pet shops in our area. Thanks again.
You can offer food every day or every other day until she stops eating. Just make sure you remove what ever is left over. I powerfeed all my slings and they grow like crazy. But its not really needed. They can eat as little as once per week. Or stuff them one after another until they wont eat. Lasiodora are great eaters and grow fast. Once they are full grown you dont wanna powerfeed.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
L klugi are awesome, that's for sure. Bullet-proof, then eat, eat, and EAT again!! {D

Mine is getting huge! :)

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
You can offer food every day or every other day until she stops eating. Just make sure you remove what ever is left over. I powerfeed all my slings and they grow like crazy. But its not really needed. They can eat as little as once per week. Or stuff them one after another until they wont eat. Lasiodora are great eaters and grow fast. Once they are full grown you dont wanna powerfeed.
I see. Thanks AgentD006las. I'm currently at work. LOL. I'm going to try and feed her again once I go home. Thanks again. I want to see her tackle some worms! Maybe soon, right now I'm gonna stick to pre killed. :)

JasonAld

Arachnopeon
L klugi are awesome, that's for sure. Bullet-proof, then eat, eat, and EAT again!! {D

Mine is getting huge! :)
I couldn't agree more! Klugi's are very amazing T's! Cant wait for mine to reach maturity! Everyone should have them! :clap:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't advise power feeding, its fine to get the sling out of the more fragile early stages but its reduces lifespan, affects their fertility and it can lead to issues with abrasions to the abdomen. Stan Schultz suggest 6 crickets per month, many people say 2 crickets per week but I know people that only feed their Ts once a month. Tarantula are opportunistic feeders, they'll eat when there's food available but they'll equally go without food when its not available, reflecting the changes in the season.

Here's a pic of my klugi:
http://thebts.co.uk/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2146&title=the-winner-21&cat=970

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wish someone would clear this up (I'm so lazy)

Although it is cbb, I still wonder about the provenance/origin of my L klugi- especially considering the species close resemblance to parahybana. From what I'd studied earlier on about L klugi, among other things, is they're supposed to be overall notably darker than L.p with the red setae on the abdomen only- not salmon pinkish setae more evenly distributed, also on legs. However, I've seen several pics of L.p that looked more like a klugi and vice-versa. Adding to this confusion, there's L. difficilis.

Maybe there's a difference in adf spermatheca between the sp but is it cut-and-dried? This is where I'm lazy {D- but more than anything else lack time to research it thoroughly. I'm guessing this could also differ morphologically across their respective ranges.

I guess what I'm asking is: WHAT IS a gott-dang L klugi? :)