Help on Caring for a Steatoda Grossa?

SteotodaNobilis

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am new to spider care. I have recently housed a male wild-born False Widow spider. He has food (a live leaf footed bug) and water, but he hasn't established a complete web yet. He is currently asleep (in a dark corner of the wood piece). Should I release him or keep him? If I keep him, any advice?
And I am wondering if he can catch food without a web. Is the food I gave him fine? Is the water source good?

And if you were wondering, here's a photo of the enclosure (lid off)

Last edited:

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
How long have you had him? It's possible he's still just settling in if it hasn't been very long.

Last edited:

SteotodaNobilis

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't try to feed a web dweller before the web is built.
Thanks for informing me! How long will it take for him until he establishes his web (He has tried before but the two strings of web broke)? And how long can he survive without food (I'm worried that he might starve to death)?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks for informing me! How long will it take for him until he establishes his web (He has tried before but the two strings of web broke)?
My cobweb spiders were usually settled within a week.

And how long can he survive without food (I'm worried that he might starve to death)?
Although not as long-lived as tarantulas, they have slow metabolisms and can go a long time without food as long as there is water.

SteotodaNobilis

Arachnopeon
He survived the night, and built a web. Unfortunately, his new web was too narrow to catch any food. He was also panicky, so I released him. I'll try to use a mason jar for the next spider I keep.

Last edited:

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am new to spider care. I have recently housed a male wild-born False Widow spider. He has food (a live leaf footed bug) and water, but he hasn't established a complete web yet. He is currently asleep (in a dark corner of the wood piece). Should I release him or keep him? If I keep him, any advice?
And I am wondering if he can catch food without a web. Is the food I gave him fine? Is the water source good?

And if you were wondering, here's a photo of the enclosure (lid off)
I have 7 steatoda grossa. I bought small plastic candy boxes (Ferrero rocher candy boxes), created hiding places, shelves to hang from, and soft fiberglass screen (safest kind) to hold water droplets. I also bought a $10 clear canister, used a dremel to remove the middle of the top and glued screen in it. I bought a make up display case, put a hinge on it, and used a pony tail tie to secure the lid. They are thriving and laying eggs. They can go for weeks without eating, but need water every 2-3 days. The males live for only 18 months. Less, if it's a mature male.

Attachments

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
I am new to keeping true spiders also just my guy that I've had for a week has been eating and webbing I'm not sure if he can find the water dish though. I'm not trying to hijack the thread but noticed you mentioned about water needing 2 or 3 days. I have a dish but I think he stays on the other section of the bark wall thing I have set up can I mist the web every 3 days or is that too crazy for them? it is a barn funnel weaver.

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
I am new to keeping true spiders also just my guy that I've had for a week has been eating and webbing I'm not sure if he can find the water dish though. I'm not trying to hijack the thread but noticed you mentioned about water needing 2 or 3 days. I have a dish but I think he stays on the other section of the bark wall thing I have set up can I mist the web every 3 days or is that too crazy for them? it is a barn funnel weaver.
Yes, you can mist every 2-3 days. I glued a little fiberglass screen (safest kind) to catch water droplets.
Then, I decided to catch the droplets so they wouldn't accidentally drown feeders or spiders caught in the 'rain drop' falling.
It works. I took some miniature hobby items, added some sponge and screen. I used wood glue (removable if needed). I let it dry completely because ANY tackiness will kill a spider. I use a small plastic syringe to drop the water.
I converted a Ferraro Rocher candy box. I made shelves to hang from. They have their favorite spots.
Don't use super glue on plastic. Super glue will ruin plastic. I also converted a tall clear canister, and replaced the top with screen. I apply droplets on the screen. I've watched her drink, too. I converted a make up display case into a spider habitat. The spider in that one laid 3 eggs in it.
I had fun converting the candy boxes. Tasty and inexpensive!
Lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure if barn funnel weavers need alot of water or what I have been thinking they just get fluids from prey. I have pebbles for substrate and it seems that misting would collect perfect on the pebbles without making deep puddles or anyhthing. As shy as my guy has been I'm not sure if he leaves his web at night or what I have crickets in the tank hopefully he is wandering around his tank because it is about time to feed also . he ate about 4 days ago but I think Ive been around too much lately because he stays in his tunnel constantly now it seems I never see him out like right after a caught him and he built his web.

I caught him on my big porch and there is never any rain water or anything that gets on the porch I don't know how he was drinking on the porch. His web like the others that still live on the porch are high up against the ceiling.

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
Yes, they get water from prey. However, I've seen my false widows drink. They can go weeks without eating.i don't use crickets because they can bite, and injure/kill a spider.

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
Yes, they get water from prey. However, I've seen my false widows drink. They can go weeks without eating.i don't use crickets because they can bite, and injure/kill a spider.
Thanks for letting me know about the crickets, what do you use instead?

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
I buy 500 bsfl (black soldier fly larvae/buy large). I feed and plump them up real good. They pupate for more than a month, before turning into flies. In the meantime, I catch flies, use baby dubia, cleaner worms, and I'm thinking about trying a small butterworm.

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
I buy 500 bsfl (black soldier fly larvae/buy large). I feed and plump them up real good. They pupate for more than a month, before turning into flies. In the meantime, I catch flies, use baby dubia, cleaner worms, and I'm thinking about trying a small butterworm.
I have been thinking of flies I found a source. where I cought him he was eating moths they feed on moths on the porch primarily I am probably going to catch some in a field nearbybut haven't thought of how I am going to keep them. what about meal worms from petco? Can they eat them?

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure. They have an exoskeleton/shell (chitin). I once saw a false widow sling try to penetrate a micro superworm, but couldn't. That was a tiny sling, however. I would stick with soft bodied insects. Not too large for the spider to overcome. This is my opinion, as I am not an expert.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
For small young ones, flightless fruit flies, the larger species Drosophila hydei is good food. Maggots are good too, except the dyed ones.

My Steatoda bipunctatas sometimes caught very small beetles on their own (I didn't keep these spiders in enclosures). I watched when one of them, Mini, tried to find a good spot to bite. Not so easy with a beetle. After a couple of minutes he found a soft spot, the butt. I looked at rubbish pile of one of the spiders, and saw mosquitos, stoneflies, tiny beetles, springtails and even a pseudoscorpion.

When one of my males did web maintenance and put new strands of silk to it, he found something interesting on the floor. He wrapped and carried it to his retreat. I took a close-up picture and it turned out to be a tiny beetle pupa.

Butt bite:

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
Hi,

It's good to know about the beetle pupa. I've been removing them. I'll use them too.

Thank you.

For small young ones, flightless fruit flies, the larger species Drosophila hydei is good food. Maggots are good too, except the dyed ones.

My Steatoda bipunctatas sometimes caught very small beetles on their own (I didn't keep these spiders in enclosures). I watched when one of them, Mini, tried to find a good spot to bite. Not so easy with a beetle. After a couple of minutes he found a soft spot, the butt. I looked at rubbish pile of one of the spiders, and saw mosquitos, stoneflies, tiny beetles, springtails and even a pseudoscorpion.

When one of my males did web maintenance and put new strands of silk to it, he found something interesting on the floor. He wrapped and carried it to his retreat. I took a close-up picture and it turned out to be a tiny beetle pupa.

Butt bite:

Hi,

I decided to get fancy, lol.

I built a small water reservoir into the shelf the spider likes to hide under. This way, there is always available water. There is a water drip near, too if it is dry the reservoir won't be.

I syringe fed 1 of my male false widows water. He came and drank twice! It was cool. Hopefully, I can repeat it, and get a video of it in the future.

Have a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Caveternal

Arachnosquire

Butt bite:

I am wondering if I should get flightless fruit flies for my Tegenaria Domestica juvenile? Were you solely talking about the steada grossa? I don't think he has eaten in a while he won't eat crickets anymore maybe he got bit. I just put 4 moths in his tank I hope they go into his web I think the last ones I put might have just died because I didn't see any left over pieces in his web maybe he tossed it all the way out the web I don't know.

My T Domestica is fairly small with the legs included he is about the size of a quarter. Would the fruit flies be too small? They are the next thing I have access to other than moths and crickets. I looked at some meal worms but they seemed way too big, I don't know where I would get maggots from but I think I may order some butter worms. I think he needs to eat before they would come in through shipment though so I need to figure out what to feed in the meantime if he doesn't catch the moths in his tank now.

Dragon Rescuer

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Yes, I was talking about steatoda grossa. I don't use crickets, because they might bite.
Consider bsfl (black soldier fly larvae). They start out as maggots. Then, they turn black, and after a month or two, they emerge as black soldier flies. I recently syringe fed 1 of my male false widow spiders. He drank twice.

Tonight, I syringe fed 1 of my female false widow spiders. She drank twice, also.
They drank from the tip of the syringe. Cool experience.