HELP, OBT turning black

SergioC130

Arachnopeon
Got this guy from a friend and looked like any other obt. I rehoused him and a while after he started to turn black. Mostly his hind legs but has spread. The picture is how hes been for a while, he eats fine and ive seen him drink water. Another strange behavior ive noticed is he hasent seem to made a burrow, just a really really shallow one. Im certain there isn't enough substrate. I plan on rehousing him in a much deeper critter keeper now that I have one, i can definitely add 5 inches of substrate. What do you guys think

Attachments

14pokies

Arachnoprince
He's a mature male. What your seeing is the actual exo skeleton because the hairs are falling off..

Male tarantulas generally don't live long after maturing. Unfortunately he won't be around for very long. A few months at best.

Last edited:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
He's a mature male. What your seeing is the actual exo skeleton because the hairs are falling off..

Male tarantulas generally don't live long after maturing. Unfortunately he won't be around for very long. A few months at best.
Didn't know the hairs fall off with MM

SergioC130

Arachnopeon

It never crossed my mind that he was old. Thought it was something I did. thank you

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I have a friend who owns an A. chalcodes MM that was collected from the wild. He was already mature two years ago when she got him. He's such a crusty old man! He hardly has any hairs left, and he stumbles around aimlessly and wobbly (like an old guy). We actually can't believe he's still alive! But we all love him.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
some MMs live longer than others. ive heard OBT is one of the shortest.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
True. I have a MM M. robustum that matured about 9 months ago in 2016...and he is still alive, still makes sperm webs, and even still eats.
Got a P.cambridgei who will be 2+ years mature this june...he looks like a head with legs...but he just ate a mealie half an hour ago, even though catching it becomes a bit difficult, his aim is off, lol.
Not making any spermwebs anymore though since two months, I fear he'll kick the bucket soon. But hey, as long as he can eat, he's welcome to it! :)

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a P.cambridgei who will be 2+ years mature this june...he looks like a head with legs...but he just ate a mealie half an hour ago, even though catching it becomes a bit difficult, his aim is off, lol.
Not making any spermwebs anymore though since two months, I fear he'll kick the bucket soon. But hey, as long as he can eat, he's welcome to it! :)
damn, the males really get screwed in the animal kingdom

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
damn, the males really get screwed in the animal kingdom
I wish he was....it's a bit sad to have him wither away without producing some offspring :(
He's still feisty though, even though it is more like an old man scaring awake from his nap than a 'don't mess with me cause I'll kick your hiny'-sort of feisty :D

Blue25

Arachnopeon
Condolences my friend... Hopefully you will get another much younger T to fill the place. They are truly amazing animals.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Condolences my friend... Hopefully you will get another much younger T to fill the place. They are truly amazing animals.
Thanks...at least he had a decent run. If he would've made it past Labor Day weekend, he would've made it a year past his maturing molt.
I may indeed get a new T, its been a little while since I've acquired any new ones.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Thanks...at least he had a decent run. If he would've made it past Labor Day weekend, he would've made it a year past his maturing molt.
I may indeed get a new T, its been a little while since I've acquired any new ones.
Condolences, I remember you posting about your guy