Help, not sure

Coff73ee

Arachnopeon
Ok this was sold as rosey haired from a local pet store. I think it's very clear it's not a rosey. Later recived a phone call from the store telling me they sold me a king baboon. Not really sure what it is!! I've had it now for a little over two years, it's very slow to grow. Anyone have a clue from the pics what it might be or do I need better pictures. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, i'm not that good with id'ing species yet but i agree with you that it's not a rosea. I don't think it's a baboon either though. It looks new world to me, maybe a Grammostola of some sort?

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello. i do not think it is a king baboon... i think it's a Stripeknee tarantula, it's scientific name is Aphonopelma seemani. that's what i would guess, there are several other it could be as well, like E campestratus, AKA pink zebra beauty tarantula....but i think it looks like a stripeknee.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does look like a a. seemani. it sure dont look like a rosea. when was its last molt.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What color are the spinnerettes? I think that's usually how you tell if it's a seemani, but I don't remember which color they are. I just always see that question in seemani ID threads. :)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have to go with the a- seemani but if only the pict was better and i think some one will be able help you ;) as i am no expert:? lol ++++ phil

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is an A. seemani, which is probably likely since next to G. rosea, that's usually the second most common T sold in pet stores (personally I've never seen a King Baboon in a pet store though anything is possible), it would have a notably lighter tan underbelly and spinnerrettes. Try to see if you can get a look and see if you can see that. Also, maybe a couple more clear pics would help too.

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What color are the spinnerettes? I think that's usually how you tell if it's a seemani, but I don't remember which color they are. I just always see that question in seemani ID threads. :)

The spinnerettes on a A.seemani are tan, at least all the one's I have seen are tan.

Renee

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd say Seemani too. it has all the markings of a A.Seemani. :cool:

Coff73ee

Arachnopeon
Wow did not think so many people would get back with me so fast.......thanks. The spinneret's on it seem to be a reddish brown. I do also have a seemani but it is much blacker in color. My seemani will run and hide but this little one will stand and fight, lol. I've had it for about two years now and it's only molted once so far and it's just a little one maybe three inces at the most.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow did not think so many people would get back with me so fast.......thanks. The spinneret's on it seem to be a reddish brown. I do also have a seemani but it is much blacker in color. My seemani will run and hide but this little one will stand and fight, lol. I've had it for about two years now and it's only molted once so far and it's just a little one maybe three inces at the most.
That sounds somewhat like an A. seemani. They usually vary from being shittish to being a bit on the defensive side. They often don't get the black coloration until 3-4" and seem to grow pretty slowly.

Coff73ee

Arachnopeon
The top picture is of my larger A. seemani. Both pics are from the same cam. I thought also that the second one was a A. seemani but it's a mean little bugger, will tag anything that comes into it's cage, lol. Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an A.seemani that is more than capable of a threat pose and has struck at things repeatedly in the past. Front legs go up and you know you just ticked her off :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is definately not a Grammostola rosea, it is a Aphonopelma seemanni. If it has the rusty orange spinnerets like your bigger one, then it is A.seemani for sure.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the only two species, out of 30-50 that i have kept, that have ever throw mean threat displays are... G. rosea and A. seemani. i think there is a considerably larger temperment range than is generally commonly accepted.

also, my seemani are all avid burrowers... a burrow might help calm them down a little bit when you open the cage