Help! New tarantula owner!

Bree21

Arachnopeon
Hello, i am a new tarantula keeper. Today i got myself a juvenile Aphomopelma Seemanni. It's been about eight hours, and she's been in the top corner of her enclosure since I got her. I tickled her twice with a clean soft makeup brush to see if she was alive. She moved her legs a little bit but not much at all but other than that she wouldn't budge. So I left her alone. I had another one earlier this month but sadly it died of dks. So that got me really paranoid. The other one was much more active. I had a long car ride with her and I'm thinking maybe that has got her feeling uneasy? I just want to know does this mean she is sick or is this just something tarantulas typically do? Her substrate isn't too damp. By the way, any information about this species would also be greatly appreciated. I know a little, but could always know more. Thanks!

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The enclosure is way too large for your tarantula. You probably want to reduce to 1/5 of that size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
DKS- not a disease- likely your T was exposed to toxin/s

Your current one sounds fine for now- takes a while to settle in.

Ride home is NOTHING. Ts are shipped from Europe to USA and survive.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s just settling in, but your going to have to take it out cause you need to fill up that tank halfway or more for this species. They are burrowers and that hide is also massive, a tarantula wants a small dark space to feel secure in and burrow under.

it died of dks.
What caused the Dks? It’s not actually a random syndrome it’s a collection of symptoms brought on by something.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I haven't kept any T's, so I can't critique the husbandry, although spiders do tend to act off when you first get them. They will often eat little to nothing, and hide pretty much constantly. I would make sure they have some good hides, and just keep an eye on it until they get used to their new space.

Bree21

Arachnopeon
It’s just settling in, but your going to have to take it out cause you need to fill up that tank halfway or more for this species. They are burrowers and that hide is also massive, a tarantula wants a small dark space to feel secure in and burrow under.

What caused the Dks? It’s not actually a random syndrome it’s a collection of symptoms brought on by something.
I dunno what caused it. I got it from a pet shop (stupid I know) and it died 2 days later after it walked super sporadically and seemed to have no coordination. At first, it was barely noticeable but then it progressed very quickly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dunno what caused it. I got it from a pet shop (stupid I know) and it died 2 days later after it walked super sporadically and seemed to have no coordination. At first, it was barely noticeable but then it progressed very quickly.
Likely something at the shop or before

Bree21

Arachnopeon
The enclosure is way too large for your tarantula. You probably want to reduce to 1/5 of that size.
Oh okay.

Just Filled it 2/3 of the way full. Thank you for the advice!

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
T’s are still for very long periods of time, even I asked a question similar to this here when my versicolor avoided the hide I made for it and for weeks stayed in one side of the enclosure, I was worried too but it’s very normal I found out, in terms of enclosure size personally I like putting my T’s in mansions but I keep a set number of them, once they outgrow a pill bottle and get about 2 inches I put them in a full size enclosure, most people here don’t think that’s the best idea and I see why, but personally in these circumstances smaller slings do tend to be more shy and hide more when the enclosure is too large for them, I do enjoy watching the progression of how they make their homes in said larger enclosures.

Bree21

Arachnopeon
T’s are still for very long periods of time, even I asked a question similar to this here when my versicolor avoided the hide I made for it and for weeks stayed in one side of the enclosure, I was worried too but it’s very normal I found out, in terms of enclosure size personally I like putting my T’s in mansions but I keep a set number of them, once they outgrow a pill bottle and get about 2 inches I put them in a full size enclosure, most people here don’t think that’s the best idea and I see why, but personally in these circumstances smaller slings do tend to be more shy and hide more when the enclosure is too large for them, I do enjoy watching the progression of how they make their homes in said larger enclosures.
Thank you. It had me worried. I like the larger enclosers myself because I feel like they have more room to explore and make themselves at home. But I too totally understand why most people say not to. Again thank you for your comment. 🙂

cold blood

Staff member
could have simply been an old MM at the end of his life...this would also explain the higher activity level you saw with that t.

Bree21

Arachnopeon
could have simply been an old MM at the end of his life...this would also explain the higher activity level you saw with that t.
Oh no it was definetly a juvenile. It was only about maybe 2 1/2inches long and it had no tibial hooks or palpal bulbs. It was pretty small.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It’s not actually a random syndrome it’s a collection of symptoms brought on by something.
It's actually just one symptom with multiple known causes (which is why it's wrong to call it a syndrome), all the symptoms of "DKS" fall under at least one half of the definition of Dyskinesia (involuntary movements and impaired voluntary movements).