Help needed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
NOT MY T. This is a post from another forum but he's not having much luck.

I wonder if someone on here might know what is causing this? She's a Lampropelma Violeceopes. Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile. She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels. It looks like some sort of disease? There's black bobbles like coal on her abdomen and hair loss all over. She's been like this for a few months now.

I've asked if the sub is wet in the cork bark tube. He said no. No mites. Anyone hazard a guess?

93BF91CC-EA31-4759-852C-D62A79D5AC5C-11341-00000F64B89C8ECB_tmp.png

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
on the first looks it looks like substrate sticked onto her abdomen. any close up pics with better focus?

basin79

ArachnoGod
on the first looks it looks like substrate sticked onto her abdomen. any close up pics with better focus?
That's what I thought but it's not apparently. And no, that's the only pic.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
That's what I thought but it's not apparently. And no, that's the only pic.
Just a wild speculation, maybe she didn't make moulting mat and substrate stuck on wet abdomen after moulting?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Not much we can do to help. Need a better photo of rhe problem area in order to help.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not much we can do to help. Need a better photo of rhe problem area in order to help.
I'll see what he says. The T is very secretive apparently and that is the first and only time he's been able to get a pic. I'll see if he can get one from down the cork bark.

Thanks for the replies. Don't like seeing a T afflicted by anything.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Like everyone else, I can't see anything "wrong" in this photo. It looks like substrate on her abdomen. And hair loss isn't uncommon if it's been awhile since the last molt. It just rubs off.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Like everyone else, I can't see anything "wrong" in this photo. It looks like substrate on her abdomen. And hair loss isn't uncommon if it's been awhile since the last molt. It just rubs off.
Yep. That's what I'm thinking. But he's worried. I already replied to his OP typing T's often look rough before molting. Especially as they get older and they're in their clothes longer.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Maybe it's just the photo but she looks like she could stand to eat a little. How's her appetite? Did he mention that?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Maybe it's just the photo but she looks like she could stand to eat a little. How's her appetite? Did he mention that?
Hasn't mentioned it no. I've replied to his thread and no reply yet.

cold blood

Staff member
Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile.

She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels.

I've asked if the sub is wet in the cork bark tube. He said no. No mites. Anyone hazard a guess?

View attachment 224312
Sexed juvenile? I assume you mean a sexed female?

Heat and humidity at recommended levels??? And what are these "levels"? I don't keep mine any different than any other Asian.

Better and more pics would almost certainly be helpful, its hard to see the issue clearly, although it doesn't look quite right.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sexed juvenile? I assume you mean a sexed female?

Heat and humidity at recommended levels??? And what are these "levels"? I don't keep mine any different than any other Asian.

Better and more pics would almost certainly be helpful, its hard to see the issue clearly, although it doesn't look quite right.
I think you've missed the part where I typed this isn't my T and I've just copied pasted their OP from another forum.

cold blood

Staff member
I think you've missed the part where I typed this isn't my T and I've just copied pasted their OP from another forum.
No, I got that...you ARE the only one who's read the owner's accounts, and since I can't ask him....for all I know he had 50 other pics in the previous account as well as dozens of questions discussed.

Were these simple and obvious questions not asked previously?

When someone says "recommended humidity", for me, that's a red flag that needs to be addressed first so we know what they specifically mean by this. Keeping it too wet could certainly cause an adverse effect on the t.

basin79

ArachnoGod
No, I got that...you ARE the only one who's read the owner's accounts, and since I can't ask him....for all I know he had 50 other pics in the previous account as well as dozens of questions discussed.

Were these simple and obvious questions not asked previously?

When someone says "recommended humidity", for me, that's a red flag that needs to be addressed first so we know what they specifically mean by this. Keeping it too wet could certainly cause an adverse effect on the t.
No activity on the OP apart from is it not just substrate. The forum is pretty dead in the invert section.

And no, just the 1 picture or I'd have posted more of them.

I get the feeling you're being an arse with me but can't quite put my finger on it.

Robinm

Arachnopeon
Brand new member please go easy on me:)

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's my L Violaceopes (Violet) and I took the pic, here's a more close up one. I should mention I've been keeping T's for around 30 years and they usually all do well, I've never come across anything like this before.

She really is almost impossible to photograph! Very shy these days, I used to catch her wandering about the enclosure when I came into the room in the dark and turned the lights on but she hasn't done that in over 3 or 4 months now.

She's not eating a great deal, has only taken one or two crickets in the last months as well.

Humidity I've had a try at varying, the substrate is damp in one corner and the heat mat makes the air humid near that, it's allowed to dry out before re-wetting, it's not like a bog in there and there's no condensation on any glass, the tank is a purpose built arboreal T enclosure and has a huge ventilation mesh at the top.

There's always water in the dish. Temps are quite constant at around 26 - 28 C

Last edited:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
...Corner and the heat mat makes the air humid near that, it's allowed to dry out before re-wetting, it's not like a bog in there and there's no condensation on any glass, the tank is a purpose built arboreal T enclosure and has a huge ventilation mesh at the top.
\
You keep a heat mat on the bottom/side of the cage? If so, then maybe those are possibly burn marks, heat mats are VERY bad for invertebrates

basin79

ArachnoGod
You keep a heat mat on the bottom/side of the cage? If so, then maybe those are possibly burn marks, heat mats are VERY bad for invertebrates
Heat mats are very popular in the UK. It's what I've always used to heat my T's. The side of the enclosure and statted.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heat mats are very popular in the UK. It's what I've always used to heat my T's. The side of the enclosure and statted.
Heating pads / mats = Unnessary! Period! Unless you're living in the arctic...

Aside that, I'm gonna say some type of fungal infection...