Help needed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Heating pads / mats = Unnessary! Period! Unless you're living in the arctic...

Aside that, I'm gonna say some type of fungal infection...
I just prefer to keep my T's above my room temperature which is around 68f at the moment.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heat mats are very popular in the UK. It's what I've always used to heat my T's. The side of the enclosure and statted.
There's quite a few of us on here from the uk that would disagree with the use of heat mats as they can be dangerous to tarantulas.
Also if you have 20 tarantulas do you have 20 heat mats?
It's not a very cost effective way either a space or halogen heater is a far better way as it heats the whole room gently and at very little risk to the tarantulas.

basin79

ArachnoGod
There's quite a few of us on here from the uk that would disagree with the use of heat mats as they can be dangerous to tarantulas.
Also if you have 20 tarantulas do you have 20 heat mats?
It's not a very cost effective way either a space or halogen heater is a far better way as it heats the whole room gently and at very little risk to the tarantulas.
No I have 3 heat mats statted that gently heat all of my inverts.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No I have 3 heat mats statted that gently heat all of my inverts.
Each to their own i suppose. personally i only ever used heat mats for reptiles i just use a rotating halogen heater if i need to

basin79

ArachnoGod
Each to their own i suppose. personally i only ever used heat mats for reptiles i just use a rotating halogen heater if i need to
Yeah, each to their own. So long as the T's are eating, drinking and shedding shedding everything is fine.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I get the feeling you're being an arse with me but can't quite put my finger on it.
I'm not getting that. I think his concern is that there seem to be issues that don't seem to be addressed. "right levels" is one thing that stood out to me as well. Those sound dangerously like petcare/caresheet words.

Also, I think the concern is whether or not other relevant questions might have been asked and answered previously on the other forum.

To @Robinm, to me, it looks like the brown dots are substrate, but the abdomen looks almost too smooth maybe. Almost like it is hard...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
-- about the heathing issue --

Depends... in Italy there's enthusiasts that use heat mat/pads/cables as well and without issues of all sorts (but please note that we are talking about decades of experience breeders/skilled keepers and not "yahoo/s" with their first "Petco" Theraphosidae, unaware even of what a molt is).

I'm not one of those, I never was. And I live in Lombardy, by far the second most colder region of Italy. I can reach the right temperature (when it comes to Winter months) only using my furnace. I don't use even space heaters. But Christ, seriously no poop, I pay something like 4000 Euro at the end of the day, for that. I understand that could be a lot.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
-- about the heathing issue --

Depends... in Italy there's enthusiasts that use heath mat/pads/cables as well and without issues of all sorts (but please note that we are talking about decades of experience breeders/skilled keepers I nd not "yahoo/s" with their first "Petco" Theraphosidae, unaware even of what a molt is).

I'm not one of those, I never was. And I live in Lombardy, by far the second most colder region of Italy. I can reach the right temperature (when it comes to Winter months) only using my furnace. I don't use even space heathers. But Christ, seriously no poop, I pay something like 4000 Euro at the end of the day, for that. I understand that could be a lot.
Indeed. I use a heatcable and central heating during the day, but at night, only the cable is on. I tried a space heater, but the energy bill went from 90euro a month, to 300
euro, so that thing got thrown away fast.
I do however make sure the cable doesn't touch the enclosures, and also that it is wired for the warmth to be on top or sides, never under.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let's say this, remaining in Europe a bit.

If "you" can have, day temperature talking, in the room where "you" keep your T's (doesn't matter the rest of the house) at least 23/24° C Day, then IMO there's absolutely no need for add extra heating help, no matter if we are talking about a pad, cable, or a space heater. Talking, of course, about a juve/adult collection, for that as we know, slings are more delicate.

A night drop (I keep in Winter time my room at 20/21° C night) is absolutely normal.

Now, if "your" collection is made of genus Grammostola, genus Brachypelma and other adults and pretty hardy T's like those, even not reaching the above mentioned temperatures, IMO it's not a tragedy :)

But when tropicals are concerned, and L.violaceopes are, hell you need to push the temperature a bit.

Another important thing to consider is: not every home/house etc are equal. Example: a friend of mine lives at the first floor of an apartment here. Well, under his apartment there's one of the most famous "Gelaterie" ( :hungry: Gelato!) of my city, and those huge fridges push the heat up (obviously) where... yeah, directly in his living room, thus he reach lovely temperatures keeping, lol, his furnace at minimum, lucky dastard :-s

He pay a nothing for the heating bill :banghead: he doesn't keep T's however.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm not getting that. I think his concern is that there seem to be issues that don't seem to be addressed. "right levels" is one thing that stood out to me as well. Those sound dangerously like petcare/caresheet words.

Also, I think the concern is whether or not other relevant questions might have been asked and answered previously on the other forum.

To @Robinm, to me, it looks like the brown dots are substrate, but the abdomen looks almost too smooth maybe. Almost like it is hard...
Furry muff. I felt different. But then again that's the problem with reading the words off a screen. You can't hear the tone.

I would have of course posted all and every bit of detail relevant to the T. I'm not a Harry half job.

Robinm

Arachnopeon
There's a heat matt across the back of the enclosure fixed to the wall outside, i.e. it's not in the enclosure and when it's hot I move them away and in the winter I move the enclosure closer. Most of my T's are glued to that side of their enclosures, always warming themselves. It's never so hot it can burn them, or it certainly never has before.
She could always move away if it was too hot but none of them ever do, usually the opposite :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She could always move away if it was too hot but none of them ever do
I've also noticed this with my tarantulas. They will actually stay near the heat even to the detriment of their health. In particular, my worst experience being my B. smithi in a death curl 6 inches away from the water dish.

Though I guess that's not the point of this thread. If you can get any other pictures, I'd say this thread could easily get back on topic. :p

cold blood

Staff member
No activity on the OP apart from is it not just substrate. The forum is pretty dead in the invert section.

And no, just the 1 picture or I'd have posted more of them.

I get the feeling you're being an arse with me but can't quite put my finger on it.
Thanks.:meh:

I was most certainly not being anything other than inquisitive....this is a thread where unless you can tell things, its just a dead end. Only you know what the other thread's specifics are....thankfully the person showed up to clear things.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks.:meh:

I was most certainly not being anything other than inquisitive....this is a thread where unless you can tell things, its just a dead end. Only you know what the other thread's specifics are.
Apologies then CB.

I copy/pasted the original post and that's all there was. Like I typed before I'm not a Harry half job.

Anyway the bloke is a member now so fingers crossed the T will get help.

cold blood

Staff member
Heat mats are very popular in the UK. It's what I've always used to heat my T's. The side of the enclosure and statted.
Cigarettes are also very popular, yet are known to be quite horrible for you...not a good rationalization IMO.:)

Heating pads / mats = Unnessary! Period! Unless you're living in the arctic...

Aside that, I'm gonna say some type of fungal infection...
I agree, that's what I think it looks like as well. Without seeing the enclosure (probably in person) it will be tough to pinpoint where the issue lies for sure.

I can speculate that the heat application, kept the damp area (of an area that was either wetter than expected, or just never actually dried out) at a consistently warm temp, which would foster fungal growth.

Yeah, each to their own. So long as the T's are eating, drinking and shedding shedding everything is fine.
Thing go down hill very slowly, and often you don't notice a real issue until the situation gets critical. Its better IMO to be proactive with your approach, especially with things known to be detrimental...like reptilian heat sources and screen tops or enclosures way too tall....we see this same rationalization with all of these things...ahhh, its been fine that way...or, I haven't had an issue yet...or my fav, my t doesn't climb so its ok. Just something to consider anyway.

cold blood

Staff member
**clap clap**
This is the bottom line...they're products designed for the reptile industry, who's animals have very different requirements than tarantulas. Modifying such a thing for use with a different animal is like breaking a rock and using it for a hammer on your construction project. Sure it will work many times over, but its known that by using a rock to pound nails its just a matter of time before you bend a bunch of nails or smash a finger.

The only way to safely use a heat mat for ts (IME) is to heat a large enclosure with it, an place the other enclosures within the larger heated enclosure, thereby both creating consistent heat (which a pad placed away from the enclosure won't do well) and by turning that direct heat into a safer secondary heat. But this can be cumbersome to accomplish, although I have seen some great examples.

A heat bath using aquarium heaters is another great alternative, but it does work better with smaller collections.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Cigarettes are also very popular, yet are known to be quite horrible for you...not a good rationalization IMO.:)

I agree, that's what I think it looks like as well. Without seeing the enclosure (probably in person) it will be tough to pinpoint where the issue lies for sure.

I can speculate that the heat application, kept the damp area (of an area that was either wetter than expected, or just never actually dried out) at a consistently warm temp, which would foster fungal growth.

Thing go down hill very slowly, and often you don't notice a real issue until the situation gets critical. Its better IMO to be proactive with your approach, especially with things known to be detrimental...like reptilian heat sources and screen tops or enclosures way too tall....we see this same rationalization with all of these things...ahhh, its been fine that way...or, I haven't had an issue yet...or my fav, my t doesn't climb so its ok. Just something to consider anyway.

**clap clap**
This is the bottom line...they're products designed for the reptile industry, who's animals have very different requirements than tarantulas. Modifying such a thing for use with a different animal is like breaking a rock and using it for a hammer on your construction project. Sure it will work many times over, but its known that by using a rock to pound nails its just a matter of time before you bend a bunch of nails or smash a finger.

The only way to safely use a heat mat for ts (IME) is to heat a large enclosure with it, an place the other enclosures within the larger heated enclosure, thereby both creating consistent heat (which a pad placed away from the enclosure won't do well) and by turning that direct heat into a safer secondary heat. But this can be cumbersome to accomplish, although I have seen some great examples.

A heat bath using aquarium heaters is another great alternative, but it does work better with smaller collections.

Heat mats are terrible for

I'm not quite sure how or why heat mats have got such a bad press. They heat enclosures to a specific temperature and then turn off. No different than heating the entire room. Heat mats only become dangerous if they are covered and then thermal blocking happens which causes problems.

Heat mats don't throw heat out like a ceramic bulb say. They just warm what they touch.

After using them for 20 years I certainly won't be changing.

cold blood

Staff member
Do what you like, nobody's coming over to force change upon you.:D

I've got a few over the years with purchases or rescues, the mats always went straight into the trash.:smug:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Do what you like, nobody's coming over to force change upon you.:D

I've got a few over the years with purchases or rescues, the mats always went straight into the trash.:smug:
You are quite correct.

You'd be better donating the mats to a reptile charity or something. They aren't ideal for some reptiles but do work well with others. I used heat mats for my Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa and use them for Zeus my Tokay.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'm not quite sure how or why heat mats have got such a bad press. They heat enclosures to a specific temperature and then turn off. No different than heating the entire room. Heat mats only become dangerous if they are covered and then thermal blocking happens which causes problems.

Heat mats don't throw heat out like a ceramic bulb say. They just warm what they touch.

After using them for 20 years I certainly won't be changing.
To be sure we are talking about the same thing, here is what I/we are talking about. They run 24/7, at a high heat, unless regulated with a temperature controller. Most people don't use a temp controller with their heat mats though, and those mats can get very hot. I just used my infrared temp gun to measure the heat on one of mine - 91F (32.7C). I have to order another temperature regulator for it because it's running too hot. I've had glass crack due to the heat from those mats; I don't want it melting my roach bins.