Help needed, C. cyaneopubescens

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
This store won't sell more, but where are the employees going?

I'd bet probably a new pet store ( :eek: ) with the knowledge that C. cyanopubescens and tarantulas really sell.
Well when I imagined a pet store going out of business I imagined my hometown pet store that also went out of business recently, which is a mom and pop store. No employees. My bad to assume the OP's pet store was the same.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Not sayin this particular store. Im saying in general. Its the principle. "Rescuing" is generally not a good or productive practice as in most cases it ensures more T's to be put in the same situation.
A pet store going out of business today dorsnt mean that there wont be a new one started and either owned or co-owned by the same individual.
This particular case may be the exception (theres exceptions to every rule of course) but im simply pointing out that the "rule" needs to be understood clearly that these businesses only see sales nothing more. They want you to "rescue" the pet. By doing so, you have ensured them that their practices are good and the cycle repeats.
I was referring to this specific situation.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
Getting better and filling out some. You can see that the legs on the right side are smaller, so I'm assuming a bad molt. Appetite is coming back and it sure likes to roam it's enclosure, so I'll take that as a good sign. 2016-08-28 15.40.52.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
I disagree with abyss, a t in a pet store will be replaced whether its bought or dies. Its not the animal's fault, they don't deserve to die to prove a point that will never be realized by the store. Save a life and don't feel bad about it op.

Gretsch

Arachnopeon
Everyone's opinions are what makes this place so constructive. I appreciate all of the input!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I disagree with abyss, a t in a pet store will be replaced whether its bought or dies. Its not the animal's fault, they don't deserve to die to prove a point that will never be realized by the store. Save a life and don't feel bad about it op.
I'd agree. I just don't think the solution isn't to stop buying T's so that they aren't in pet stores. I just there should be at least one employee in every store that knew what he/she was talking about. Then there would be no issue for T's or customers... Saving them at least gives them a chance to live, instead of having them di because we don't want to give bad stores our money. Just my own opinion, not trying to hate. Hope the GBB makes it, seems the OP is doing a great job so far :D

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Glad to see its starting to plump up!
Looks like it'll make it an the 3 smaller legs look to be growing back from losses or bad moults. They'll be better in time as well.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I'd agree. I just don't think the solution isn't to stop buying T's so that they aren't in pet stores. I just there should be at least one employee in every store that knew what he/she was talking about. Then there would be no issue for T's or customers... Saving them at least gives them a chance to live, instead of having them di because we don't want to give bad stores our money. Just my own opinion, not trying to hate. Hope the GBB makes it, seems the OP is doing a great job so far :D
You made my point perfectly here (even tho you disagree haha).
One T's life to me is not worth funding many more being mistreated. Save one to condem many is not a good model for us to follow IMO. It encourages the behavior and i simply cant contribute to that. Your 100% correct that it will likely be replaced weather its bought or dies but i wont be the buyer contributing to it being replaced. Sorry @coldblood we dont disagree often but we will def disagree here (respectfully of course, as its opinion)

cold blood

Staff member
You made my point perfectly here (even tho you disagree haha).
One T's life to me is not worth funding many more being mistreated. Save one to condem many is not a good model for us to follow IMO. It encourages the behavior and i simply cant contribute to that. Your 100% correct that it will likely be replaced weather its bought or dies but i wont be the buyer contributing to it being replaced. Sorry @coldblood we dont disagree often but we will def disagree here (respectfully of course, as its opinion)
You're looking at it from a naïve point of view IMO. Its not saving one, and its not about encouraging or discouraging behavior of selling them in these stores....pet stores see this as irrelevant. They're a cheap addition that brings in people, gets them talking and occasionally brings about an impulse buy...and these buys are rarely coming from people with ANY knowledge...pet stores are not targeting hobbyists, they are targeting impulse buys from people getting their first one, so your (and many others) protest will fall on completely deaf ears as the typical buyers will never be on a place like this or even realize your point of view. They're gonna be in pet stores, like it or not, if a few get "saved" by knowledgeable people, that's about the biggest positive the t could hope for.

I see where you're coming from, I just see it much differently.

Hehe, and the word you wanted was condemn;) We aren't talking about rubbers here.:wideyed:

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I actually think that the three smaller legs are probably from it losing those legs and having to regrow them rather then a bad molt. I mean looking at it from the latest picture, perhaps it just looks as bad as it does because it's working on regrowing those legs and wasn't cared for properly more so then it having a bad molt. I think with TLC it's going to make a very good comeback. Hopefully.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Not sayin this particular store. Im saying in general. Its the principle. "Rescuing" is generally not a good or productive practice as in most cases it ensures more T's to be put in the same situation.
A pet store going out of business today dorsnt mean that there wont be a new one started and either owned or co-owned by the same individual.
This particular case may be the exception (theres exceptions to every rule of course) but im simply pointing out that the "rule" needs to be understood clearly that these businesses only see sales nothing more. They want you to "rescue" the pet. By doing so, you have ensured them that their practices are good and the cycle repeats.
I agree with you in general and especially at the price of $125. I just bought a spider (B Smithi) from Petco not long ago. It wasn't in this kind of bad health, but everything about the environment looked wrong and sad so I thought I would rescue it. Since then I have been there a few times to buy supplies. Now there has been what they are calling a Venezuelan Sun Tiger (Psalmopoeus irminias) sling in one of those tall skinny tarantula plastic jars with no side ventilation and no substrate at all. It has been in this container for several weeks now unless they are rotating through multiple spiders. Going forward I won't even look at their spiders any more.

Edit* Strangely enough I also agree with cold blood at the same time. Petco will continue to do this as long as they are in business (and cats and dogs are their main business). So the best thing I can do is not look.

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I agree with you in general and especially at the price of $125. I just bought a spider (B Smithi) from Petco not long ago. It wasn't in this kind of bad health, but everything about the environment looked wrong and sad so I thought I would rescue it. Since then I have been there a few times to buy supplies. Now there has been what they are calling a Venezuelan Sun Tiger (Psalmopoeus irminias) sling in one of those tall skinny tarantula plastic jars with no side ventilation and no substrate at all. It has been in this container for several weeks now unless they are rotating through multiple spiders. Going forward I won't even look at their spiders any more.

Edit* Strangely enough I also agree with cold blood at the same time. Petco will continue to do this as long as they are in business (and cats and dogs are their main business). So the best thing I can do is not look.
Your not wrong for agreeing with both to a point. Both points are fully valid. There not really a rite/wrong answer here.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
You're looking at it from a naïve point of view IMO. Its not saving one, and its not about encouraging or discouraging behavior of selling them in these stores....pet stores see this as irrelevant. They're a cheap addition that brings in people, gets them talking and occasionally brings about an impulse buy...and these buys are rarely coming from people with ANY knowledge...pet stores are not targeting hobbyists, they are targeting impulse buys from people getting their first one, so your (and many others) protest will fall on completely deaf ears as the typical buyers will never be on a place like this or even realize your point of view. They're gonna be in pet stores, like it or not, if a few get "saved" by knowledgeable people, that's about the biggest positive the t could hope for.

I see where you're coming from, I just see it much differently.

Hehe, and the word you wanted was condemn;) We aren't talking about rubbers here.:wideyed:
Lmao my spelling is often BAD lmao, nice catch. And for me it's not a protest i think they'll actually ever listen to or pay any attention to. I just simply wont be one of the ppl who spends my hard earned $ there. I believe its far better practice to buy from a reputable dealer/vendor and help fund the hobby an those who actually care rather then fund LPS's under the premiss of a rescue. Not sure how that's naive lol. Your 100% correct on their target "audience" which to me is further justification in my decision to not encourage their behavior/treatment of their T's. They really only care about the sale and my $ wont be giving them the sale lol

We just differ in our perspective is all. The simple fact we can disagree compeltly about a topic yet stay civil is pretty cool tbh. Not enough of that now days i think ;)

*note*
I literally just edited out at least 30+ typos lol im sure i didnt fix em all tho lol

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Ok, honestly not arguing, just expressing my feelings on this,
no offense intended:

The bottom line is that if the T(or whatever)dies, its a write off, so its win win for them regardless, (yes this is fact I was in the profession for a long time)
Leaving them there to suffer and die to my personal way of thinking means I deliberately did nothing to help,
And I honestly cannot and will not be the person who just looks the other way.
I wont ignore some idiot beating their child extensively,
I wont ignore the folks having a little get together for a dog/cock fight
and I wont ignore the starving homeless guy just trying to survive.
That would make me part of the problem on a deeper level.
So, .......
I rescue, I discuss and sometimes argue with store managers.
I write letters to their district managers or corporate offices and try to make a difference.
Walking away to me, is as bad as the pet shop mistreating them to begin with.
Not buying them wont make them stop, but it will make a world of difference to whatever you rescued.

cold blood

Staff member
Lmao my spelling is often BAD lmao, nice catch. And for me it's not a protest i think they'll actually ever listen to or pay any attention to. I just simply wont be one of the ppl who spends my hard earned $ there. I believe its far better practice to buy from a reputable dealer/vendor and help fund the hobby an those who actually care rather then fund LPS's under the premiss of a rescue. Not sure how that's naive lol. Your 100% correct on their target "audience" which to me is further justification in my decision to not encourage their behavior/treatment of their T's. They really only care about the sale and my $ wont be giving them the sale lol

We just differ in our perspective is all. The simple fact we can disagree compeltly about a topic yet stay civil is pretty cool tbh. Not enough of that now days i think ;)
"I believe its far better practice to buy from a reputable dealer/vendor and help fund the hobby an those who actually care rather then fund LPS's under the premiss of a rescue. Not sure how that's naive lol"

Well now that's not what was said, I completely agree with that...I thought you were doing it to try to change things or as a type of protest, which would have been naïve.:bored:

This is civil:punch:, you've just been attacking me, I've reported you twice already:rolleyes: All jokes aside:rofl:, yeah, its not an argument, just a different point of view. Not even sure how this could have been un-civil, but I guess we do see it, often at random times and places that make no sense.:meh::banghead:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
"I believe its far better practice to buy from a reputable dealer/vendor and help fund the hobby an those who actually care rather then fund LPS's under the premiss of a rescue. Not sure how that's naive lol"

Well now that's not what was said, I completely agree with that...I thought you were doing it to try to change things or as a type of protest, which would have been naïve.:bored:

This is civil:punch:, you've just been attacking me, I've reported you twice already:rolleyes: All jokes aside:rofl:, yeah, its not an argument, just a different point of view. Not even sure how this could have been un-civil, but I guess we do see it, often at random times and places that make no sense.:meh::banghead:
Lol yea, def not a silly protest an theres DEF no way i expect a chain store to give a crap what any of us think much less what I think haha.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Your not wrong for agreeing with both to a point. Both points are fully valid. There not really a rite/wrong answer here.
If I saw a T like gretsch I would probably have saved it as well but then be angry with myself for giving money to a bad person. It is one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations. You really don't want to support someone like that.

Napier19

Arachnopeon
It's a rock and a hard place. Wether by death, purchase by you, or purchase by another customer it will most likely be replaced. If you want to take the risk and attempt to save a T then I'm for it. Especially in this circumstance in which if they're knocking on the door of closing, it may not be replaced. LPS have got a bad rap for ignorant stuff like this. Some few have knowledgeable staff and actually care for their Ts and educated customers prior to purchase. I picked up a C. Fasciatum sling today and it's enclosure had at least 6 pinheads, an inch tall glass full of water, and the substrate was SOAKED. Im convinced it wasn't far from molding. Things like this irk me!