Help! My Wife Is Going to Get Me Envenomated

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Before my wife and I got married, I had informed her that I had two tarantulas and that they stayed. A year and a half of marriage later and the count is now nine. What's the problem you might ask?

Well, I seem to lean towards the Grammastolas as well as the Brachypelmas. Just picked up and Iheringi today!! I have my reasons. More mild mannered, easy care, long lived etc... My wife on the other hand likes blue tarantulas. Yes, you read right...blue. No other qualifications, just blue.

Sure she claims a Smithi and a Spec Red, but her latest two acquisitions are all for the love of the color blue.

Sahydroaraneus Raja: While I am happy to have this specimen I still really can't find much info on them so care is a shot in the dark. Been having luck so far. It has molted in my care and it eats well. It's fast though and on day one showed me a threat display. Honestly it was adorable, but I literally knew a big fat goose egg (0) of information when I bought it for my blue loving wife.

Today, she wanted a balfori. Our first baboon species. Granted, she could have done worse, a lot worse. It just seems like she is beginning to eye old world T's. She is looking at a cobalt blue... :-/. Anyway, I am sure at this rate Iight be posting in the bite reports.

Point is I am getting a crash course in old world T's. Play it safe, and study, study, study. Ask questions. Learn constantly. Never think you have T's all figured out..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Not all blue Ts are old worlds...

Show her P.sazamai ,GBB , oligoxystre diamantinensis. E.sp blue.

There are even more but I'll leave room for others to post ;-)
I

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Has she not seen C. cyaneopubescens? "Blue" is right there in the scientific name! If you don't feel that you're ready for an OW, then don't do it.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she has looked at the GBB's but doesn't want one right now. She feels like everyone has one...dunno...will look at those others...

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Plenty of blues to be had in the Avicularia genus.
Old Worlds are notoriously evil, however i have an OBT and a P. chordatus which were both given to me last year when all i had previously kept were Grammastola and Brachypelma and i only recently properly realised that they are more 'advanced' species. I treat all of my Ts as if they were angry OBTs and never handle them or turn my back to an open terrarium lid or door, so i dont really find them any more challenging than my G. rosea.
Although having kept far too many snakes for the past several years may have helped with that. I have managed to avoid ever being bitten just through being slow, cautious and respectful to them, whether they were a newborn 8" boa, or a 14' Retic with an attitude.
M. balfouri is high on my wish list. Gorgeous creatures!

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Dont post bad things like that! I keep looking at them on there too. Nearly added one on the order i placed today, but it was getting expensive.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There is a simple solution for this. 'you want Old Worlds honey?'
Wife 'yes'
'fine by me, YOU buy and take care of them'.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Before my wife and I got married, I had informed her that I had two tarantulas and that they stayed. A year and a half of marriage later and the count is now nine. What's the problem you might ask?

Well, I seem to lean towards the Grammastolas as well as the Brachypelmas. Just picked up and Iheringi today!! I have my reasons. More mild mannered, easy care, long lived etc... My wife on the other hand likes blue tarantulas. Yes, you read right...blue. No other qualifications, just blue.

Sure she claims a Smithi and a Spec Red, but her latest two acquisitions are all for the love of the color blue.

Sahydroaraneus Raja: While I am happy to have this specimen I still really can't find much info on them so care is a shot in the dark. Been having luck so far. It has molted in my care and it eats well. It's fast though and on day one showed me a threat display. Honestly it was adorable, but I literally knew a big fat goose egg (0) of information when I bought it for my blue loving wife.

Today, she wanted a balfori. Our first baboon species. Granted, she could have done worse, a lot worse. It just seems like she is beginning to eye old world T's. She is looking at a cobalt blue... :-/. Anyway, I am sure at this rate Iight be posting in the bite reports.

Point is I am getting a crash course in old world T's. Play it safe, and study, study, study. Ask questions. Learn constantly. Never think you have T's all figured out..
I own iheringi, they are great but NOT the typical Grammo: they are fast, ravenous eaters. Think of them like a black GBB only they eat more and are faster/larger.

They have a very fast metabolism in my care, large size gains between molts.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
I own iheringi, they are great but NOT the typical Grammo: they are fast, ravenous eaters. Think of them like a black GBB only they eat more and are faster/larger.
Yeah, when I went to move mine (a one inch sling) out of its deli container it would turn around and grab the straw I was using to prod each time. I'm guessing this is going to be a fun one to keep.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She is looking at a cobalt blue... :-/. Anyway, I am sure at this rate Iight be posting in the bite reports.
Ah ah, no :)
caution always and nothing will happens, man. OW's or not, they aren't eight legged biting machines, plus they tend to burrow (C.lividum, especially) and I can guarantee you that it's more easy to work with an obligate burrower rather than a S.calceatum (completely unpredictable if wants).

14pokies

Arachnoprince

By the looks of those and by what you say about yours as well as some other keepers descriptions you would think they are closer to Thrixopelma than grammostola

awiec

Arachnoprince
By the looks of those and by what you say about yours as well as some other keepers descriptions you would think they are closer to Thrixopelma than grammostola
Depends on what thrix you have, everyone knows okerti, which is the sassy one of the group, while cyaneolum is the most calm species I have ever met.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Depends on what thrix you have, everyone knows okerti, which is the sassy one of the group, while cyaneolum is the most calm species I have ever met.
i've got two T. ockerti's and you're right about the sass!! lol. I love how they raise their little strawberry bums when I open the containers. Reminds me of peacock spiders. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Why does nobody breed the most desired T's? Thrixopelma cyaneolum is another elusive purchase like adult Euthalus Sp. Red's. Good luck on the shopping.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man oh man, do I LOVE my feisty baboons and Old Worlds :D

Just be cautious, slow, and respectful. My big OBT girl shot out of her enclosure the other night when I misted her. She crawled into the first corner she could find and I was able to get her into a deli without incident. On the other side of the coin, if I were to reach into her enclosure she would bite me for certain. They defend their space! But they aren't out to get you :)