Help- My Tarantula isn't acting normal.

Angel9999

Arachnopeon
Last few days my tarantula has been acting really different. Walking really funny like flicking her legs almost as she walked. Thought maybe it was the cocoa hairs in her dirt so we scrapped old dirt off the top to have fresh dirt. Right after we did that she flipped herself over and has been like that for over 8 hours now. Her legs are moving but she isn't molting yet. What could be wrong? Before she flipped she was bobbing and having her back end up higher. She acts disoriented. Ran into her log. Just can't seem to find what it can be.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, if it's upside down, then it's molting. Not sure what the issue is here. Just leave it alone and let it do its thing - perhaps put it in a dark room so it's not disturbed.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Your spider was probably preparing for a molt and is now molting as @EulersK Has already stated leave it alone now and let it do its thing.

Forget everything you know about "normal tarantula behavior" I'm certain there is no such behavior to classify as normal for them at any given time. Apart from premolt behavior.

Last edited:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just curious, can you take a picture of enclosure? What kind of tarantula is it? How big is it?

Before molt NW (maybe you have one of those) will kick hairs into the substrate as a defense mechanism.

For all we know though, it could be a MM trying a post ultimate molt...

Last edited:

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I would say leave it, maybe check it every few hours to see if it's curling up death curl but I doubt that cause they do that right side up. Chances are from the sounds of it, maybe it didn't like the moisture of the ground or it was looking for a suitable place to molt or some such who knows. But as EulersK said, chances are it's molting if its on it's back and best leave it be.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Could it be DSK?
DKS is just a gathering of symptoms, not an actual disease or illness. It can be caused by exposure to pesticides or other harmful chemicals, dehydration, starvation, you name it. It's like saying that I have Acute Phlegm Production... do I have a cold? Allergies? DKS is just a term used to describe a specific type of movement, is what I'm saying.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
As posted by other users, your spider is molting. It may be taking a little longer than normal because it's bigger? I don't know, I don't know the size of your spider but by looking in on it and fussing with it you will be disturbing the process.. causing it to take longer too. It's a vicious cycle. ;) Put her in a traffic free area of your home, shut off the lights and leave her along till tomorrow. ;)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
a tarantula's time is divided up in:

a) molting (as you have described right now)
b) getting nourishment
c) grooming
d) tarantuling.

The only time you need to worry or act is when the legs have curled under the tarantula while the tarantula is right side up, this is known as the death curl and is easy to spot. So any other weird stance your tarantula might contort in, don't worry.

Angel9999

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all your responses. I'm starting to think she is dying. She is a Rose hair. She is still on her back. Still moving but not a lot. She has her legs curling up though. I'm attaching a picture.

Attachments

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Without disturbing the T, can you describe how the abdomen looks, is it plump? Is there a water dish present?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you for all your responses. I'm starting to think she is dying. She is a Rose hair. She is still on her back. Still moving but not a lot. She has her legs curling up though. I'm attaching a picture.
That doesn't look too good... I don't really see my Ts do a death curl during molt.

I'm not sure what to do here... my first thought is to add water drops to its mouth, but if it's molting, I'm not sure.

Can you post a picture of the whole setup and a picture straight down?

When was it's last molt?

Angel9999

Arachnopeon
She molted a little over 5 months ago. She's still on back and moves her legs a little. Don't know if I should attempt giving her some water.

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She molted a little over 5 months ago. She's still on back and moves her legs a little. Don't know if I should attempt giving her some water.
From what i can see, that abdomen looks SUPER small.

Is that a heat mat on the side?

Sorry, but can you take a closer pic of the T (top view) without disturbing it?

@cold blood does this look more like a dessicated T than a molting one?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes there are 2 heat mats.
:eek: Yikes... those are really bad... they can easily kill tarantulas...

How cold is your room?

Combined with apparent size (5+ in.), last molt time, species, time on its back, and two heat mats I'd say it's not molting but dying.

I'm really nervous to say give it water if it is molting, but I don't think it is... I really hope someone with more experience chimes in soon... but if it were me, I'd seriously consider dropping/dripping water on its mouth.

Please post a pic where we can clearly see abdomen. If it's shrunken and shriveled, it means it's badly dehydrated.

Last edited: