HELP! My T leaked while molting?

arachnobij

Arachnopeon
So I was enjoying and watching the molting process of my B. Hamorii sling when suddenly a clear fluid came out of it. What should I do? Is this something serious?
F3D69009-97C1-4B67-8485-9A54E7E71451.jpeg
It had a tough molt the last time and lost a leg, because when my bro was on his way to my house to give it to me, it suddenly molted while in the car. So it has been 7 legged for awhile, until now, it had just finished molting and I saw that it regrew the leg it had lost.

It seem okay (hopefully all okay) since I saw it move and did a little stretching with all of its legs except that one leg that I pointed out in the pic, it is holding and rubbing the area of where the fluid came out.
34D9FE59-32B4-4F1C-8799-4064A3306D0B.jpeg

What should I do? Is my T in danger?? Thank you in advance

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally, I wouldn't do anything with a spider that fresh from a molt. It would be extraordinarily easy to damage something accidentally. Maybe another keeper has different advice based on their own experience, but I would be very reluctant to touch a freshly molted T unless I was pretty sure it wouldn't make it otherwise.

Pretty little T. I hope everything works out well. Best of luck.

arachnobij

Arachnopeon
Personally, I wouldn't do anything with a spider that fresh from a molt. It would be extraordinarily easy to damage something accidentally. Maybe another keeper has different advice based on their own experience, but I would be very reluctant to touch a freshly molted T unless I was pretty sure it wouldn't make it otherwise.

Pretty little T. I hope everything works out well. Best of luck.
You’re right, I won’t dare to even disturb it as well, but awhile ago, just to check, I placed and rested my finger very very lightly and carefully (so its enclosure wont be pushed and moved) on the side glass and it pretty much moved fast like normal, and now still moving around on its own will, but still bleeding.

I’ve read a bit about first aids when T bleeds, some use superglue and some cornstarch - which i will opt for, just in case it worsens. Sigh. I do hope the injury won’t weaken it and that it can make it as this is my very first T.
The amount of fluid made its molt bedding a little dump
00B26569-0F23-4081-B991-20B8E644699C.jpeg

Last edited:

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some people use cornstarch to help stop leaking. I've mostly seen keepers on here discourage the use of superglue, due to the risk of the leg getting stuck on another surface or another leg before the superglue dries.

*Edited to clarify* My concern would be where the leak is and how recently the T molted. The leak appears to be on the underside, near where the leg meets the cephalothorax. If the T was still on its back, it would be simple to apply cornstarch with a paintbrush. Given that the T has already flipped over, I think it would be difficult to flip over a freshly-molted T to dab the cornstarch on the area that appears to be leaking without doing further harm. I just don't know how I would apply cornstarch to the area safely, on a T that molted within a couple of hours.

Again, some other more experienced keeper may have different advice. I'm not a vet or an arachnologist. Just saying that I would try to leave it alone for a couple of hours and hope the bleeding stops. If there's still fluid leaking after a few hours, that's when I would be concerned and look for advice from more experienced keepers.

Last edited:

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Give it water dish and cross fingers. Don’t mess with it you’re more likely to cause problems that way

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Keep water available and leave it alone. Messing with a freshly molted tarantula will probably just make it worse

arachnobij

Arachnopeon
Keep water available and leave it alone. Messing with a freshly molted tarantula will probably just make it worse
Give it water dish and cross fingers. Don’t mess with it you’re more likely to cause problems that way
Yes, luckily I replenished its water dish before the molting even started, so I didn’t have to bother it ever since knowing it’s in premolt. I just constantly keep looking though, without touching or moving the enclosure of course. Just to check on it. I’m a little paranoid about it knowing I can’t do anything because its freshly molted. I tend to overthink cause I’m new to the hobby and I’ve got 4 slings to take care of. I think I’m currently experiencing the joy and the pain of being a new owner lol!

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
How is it now? Still losing fluid? (As already said above, that fluid will need to be replaced and the only way is by proving a full, shallow water dish.)
If so, is it possible to take photo that gives us a clear look, so we can ascertain where exactly this bleed is coming from?

arachnobij

Arachnopeon
How is it now? Still losing fluid? (As already said above, that fluid will need to be replaced and the only way is by proving a full, shallow water dish.)
If so, is it possible to take photo that gives us a clear look, so we can ascertain where exactly this bleed is coming from?
The leak appears to be on the underside, near where the leg meets the cephalothorax.
I think scooter got the accurate description of where the fluid was coming from. These are the only pic I was able to take while it was molting:
F7F28316-C835-48DA-85F9-5B4DD4860264.jpeg A33F640C-A26B-4F70-81AD-2976EB968AA1.jpeg

Attachments

arachnobij

Arachnopeon
It seem to be doing good right now, but I’m not 100% sure as I cannot see its underpart well. It left the tunnel where it molted and it is now just sitting out in the open, still holding and rubbing that area from time to time using its third leg on its right side (as pointed out in pic) while cleaning its fangs at the same time.

My other 3 slings (P. Baeri, G. Pulchripes and T. Albo) all molted last week and never had a problem, the hamorii is the only one that seem to get into trouble while molting for the 2nd time now. Lol 0BC3E5E8-54C9-4D9F-919D-B4C427E65317.jpeg

Thank you all for responding to my questions and my worries! :) I’ll let my T be now so it can fully rest, this little one is a fighter anyway! :)

Last edited: