HELP My spiderling won't eat

Arachnonewbie95

Arachnopeon
My friend who is a tarantula maniac, has ventured off to new Zealand, hence why I am on here asking for help. He gave me his chilean rose spiderling on the 25th April 2017. Not quite sure how old she is but from front to arse she's just under 3cm. He told me to give her 1 - 2 small crickets a week whilst she is young and he said to just put it in the enclosure and if she doesn't eat it, to take it out. (We are animal technicians at a university I am aware if she was coming up for a shed to remove the insect so it doesn't feast on her). Anyway, she hasn't eaten since then and I have tried meal worms of different sizes, crickets of different sizes and locusts of different sizes. I have tried leaving them in there, I have tried putting them in a dish, I have tried using the tongs and touching her legs and doing what all the bloody forums and books say to do. She walks over the meal worms and then runs off when the move. And she freaks out and runs away from crickets and locusts. Her abdomen isn't deflated she looks quite healthy and is not dehydrated. Is she just a fussy f*cker? She doesn't appear to be coming to a shed. I have no idea what to do and I am quite concerned my friend left me one of his tarantulas, and now I am going to kill it cause the frigging thing won't eat.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This species is pretty notorious about going for long periods without eating. They can go for months without eating at times. Make sure she has access to fresh water, wait a few weeks and try again.

If you post a photo we can likely tell you more. Good luck.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
As always, pictures would definitely help. Maybe she is just fasting, or she is not hungry yet. If she is plump and looks healthy, you have nothing to worry about.

Anyway, send us pics. :)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
She's most likely fasting or entering PreMolt. I wouldn't worry. You're probably annoying her.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
What works for me is to put prekilled prey items in the enclosure. I always leave them in overnight. This way you dont have to worry about the prey hurting the T and even skittish spiders wont be spooked. If the prey is untouched then the T isnt hungry

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I saw something on here somewhere when i first joined where a guy said his rosie didnt eat for three years. Quite frankly, i believe it, and its why id only own one if it was a rescue from someone who doesnt know what theyre doing. Im very impatient and they arent really good for that. I would be praying for a "psycho rosie" just to have something happen.

Arachnonewbie95

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I'm just worried cause she's a spiderling, I thought she should be eating more she doesn't look pre-molt. I will upload some pictures but my phones being crap right now so wait two mins :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thank you! I'm just worried cause she's a spiderling, I thought she should be eating more she doesn't look pre-molt. I will upload some pictures but my phones being crap right now so wait two mins :)
Sounds good. It'll be easier to make sure everything is ok with the photos. If she has access to water and her abdomen is plump I wouldn't be too worried about food refusal with this species though.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This species is pretty notorious about going for long periods without eating. They can go for months without eating at times. Make sure she has access to fresh water, wait a few weeks and try again.
Yep notorious for fasting, it's had it's fill and most likely won't eat again until it molts, as long as fresh water is provided there's nothing to worry about, but if in doubt post a few pictures from different angles so we can see what's going on, but really I wouldn't worry.