Help my scorpion just had babies!!!

mattsspiders

Arachnopeon
I have noticed she has been borrowing a lot more recently and I haven't seen her for a few days. I went to go check on her a few minutes ago and she has about 20 babies on her back. I have had her for almost a year and this has really threw me for a loop.

She is a Vaejovis spinigerus - Hoffmannius - Striped Devil Scorp . I would like any and all advice any buddy can give. As I really have no experience in baby scorpions. One of my main questions is should I feed her live crickets or dead?

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Must have a male in with her.
I have no experience but I'd muster a guess she already knows what to do, they are actually decent mothers.

I'd "brain" the crickets so they can't eat the babies or so they don't harm
Them
In any way. Simply partially crack the neck of the cricket just enough so it's still live but can't move with much coordination or control.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
When should I separate from the mother?
Usually, you wait for the babies to molt into second instars and they will walk off on their own. Then, you can safely getbthem out. If you try to get them off the mother's back, it coukd stress her out and cause her to eat the babies. As long as you get them out and into seperate enclosures once they hop off the mother, you should be good :D

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Yes once they leave the mother's back it time to separate them.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Just keep a daily eye on them. Once they leave there mothers back you can begin separating them to a safe tank.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
It's best not to feed or bother mama while the babies are still with her but when it comes time to capture all the babies into their own lil tanks - then feed the mama so she's preoccupied with eating and won't really care you're in there taking her babies lol
Mama's can be extremely nasty after birthing :)

mattsspiders

Arachnopeon
It's best not to feed or bother mama while the babies are still with her but when it comes time to capture all the babies into their own lil tanks - then feed the mama so she's preoccupied with eating and won't really care you're in there taking her babies lol
Mama's can be extremely nasty after birthing :)
Should I put them in capsules like baby t's? Or little critter keepers? I will post some pics of them soon.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Should I put them in capsules like baby t's? Or little critter keepers? I will post some pics of them soon.
I use 2.5 oz or 3.5 oz deli cups for all my baby scorps. The 2.5 deli's may not be big enough for some people's comfort levels but I don't mind a few babies running around on my hand either

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theyre super tiny. I feed them S. hospes roaches at that size or pinhead lateralis. They'll also scavenge pieces of larger roaches sometimes.