help my rosie has a serious injury!!!

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now before i start i'll say this : Her leg is still attached!!!
Anyways so my rosehair, Rosie (stupid name but bear with me)
is a pretty amazing arachnide:
She will stay when i tell her to and she is in love with anybody (very very mild)
Yesterday noght i was going to do something upstairs (i live in a basement) and when i returned she had a kink in one of her back legs. I checked it out but when i tried to handle her she started oozing out a milky liquid from her front legs so i put on some medical gloves and put her in her cage. Like all my other spiders she walked around a little but i noticed she was dragging her back leg around or lifting it in the air. She is fairly large one of her legs in about one and half inches. I'm wondering should i amputate her leg or let it be?
I don't want to kill her or i don't want her die should i help her out or not???

I'll keep you posted
Here are some pictures
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/hyacinte/100_0403.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/hyacinte/100_0405.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/hyacinte/100_0416.jpg
notice: one of her hind legs is placed weirdly and is lifted in an unusual way

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
more details needed

Which legs are they and where is the hemmorage ? Legs can grow back after a moult, so removing them shouldn't be a problem, but if it's leaking above the leg you have a SERIOUS problem.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rosies front legs were leaking they stopped after i put nail hardener on but her back leg is limping she hasn't molted in the last month!!!

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like a 'he' by the way...

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Yep..you have a mature male...I se the tibial hook on the front legs. Get a female for him A.S.A.P.

As far as the legs go....they have valves that will seal off the leak slowly but you have to leave it be. Don't remove the leg or bother the T. Make sure that he has access to fresh water and can not hurt himself any further. Other than that he should be fine. Leave him be for a few days and recheck him. He should be in the clear by then.

Here is what I mean about stating male...these are tibial hooks for hooking the females fangs during mating.

Last edited:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's definately a mature male according to those photos.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi and welcome to the boards. maybe not a very good introduction on my part, BUT:

get a good book on tarantulas! maybe the tarantula keeper's guide.

1. your g. rosea is a male, no doubt about that. ONLY mature males have tibial hooks. how long have you had him and when was his ultimate (last) molt? depending on that, his lifespan is very limited now (a year, maybe only months). even if he attempts to molt again, he has only about a 1% chance of surviving that.

2. as long as you have sealed the wounds and he has access to water, he should be fine. he will autotomize the damaged leg himself if he feels the need.

3. no, he is not an amazing arachnid, he's just a normal rosehair. he does not stay when you tell him - he's a tarantula for god's sake, he can't even hear you! he stays because rosehairs are notorious pet rocks and avoid moving. he is not a dog, and treating him like one is mistreating him.

please read up on taratula biology, for your t's sake. yes, i do love all my ts, but i am also aware of the fact that they are very, very primitive. he cannot hear you, understand you or do what you say. also, he cannot 'like' people. he doesn't even have a nervous system complex enough that allows him to perceive pain as mammals do. so handling him is something you do for your own pleasure, not for his, even if he tolerates it (btw, passivity in a mature male might mean that he is nearing his end).

how come he injured himself anyway? if you provide him with a proper tank and do not let him run loose (telling him to 'stay') there should not be a chance of him damaging several legs at once...

sorry, i am trying to be fair, but your post just sounds like you know nothing about the animal you keep.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi just to say i think alice was a bit hard on pink - tarantula who looks to be new to keeping - t.s -? so i think we are trying to help new t.s .keepers not to lecture them ? as WE ALL HAD TO START SOMEWHERE thats how it seems to me ? --- phil

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dear phil, i don't think i am being too hard. because if i want to keep a pet i get the information FIRST.

i don't mind at all beginners not being able to determine the sex of their ts or needing help after an injury - that's what these boards are for. but there is information vital for a ts wellbeing that every owner should be responsible enough to get before they buy an invert. and i think i am not alone with this opinion.

sorry, but i have seen many ts handled to death, crushed under doors because they were allowed to roam and many other things that could be avoided if new owners spent even a week before purchase surfing the boards for information or reading a book.

if someone thinks that a t stays if they tell him to (like he were a dog), this indicates that this person doesn't know even the basics. in my book not knowing the basics before i get a pet is irresponsible. period.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that was a bit OTT alice especially on point 3...just because you may not think rosehairs are amazing he/she was just giving their opinion .. even though you where trying to help.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we all have opinions its just the way we put them over and we are not all the same thank god lol --- phil

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi just to say i think alice was a bit hard on pink - tarantula who looks to be new to keeping - t.s -? so i think we are trying to help new t.s .keepers not to lecture them ? as WE ALL HAD TO START SOMEWHERE thats how it seems to me ? --- phil
well said :worship: some people are a bit harsh.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
daniel: i know that rosies are amazing ts - just like any other t. but she said her rosie was amazing because she would stay if told so...

phil and jr: sorry, i've seen too many ts die horrible deaths because their owners didn't take the time to reasearch beforehand. so i will not say i am tolarant of this when i am not. all i told pink tarantula was to read up on her pet and stop thinking it is like a dog, for it's not. i didn't abuse her and i wasn't harsh. it's up to her if she wants to take advice that will help her in the hobby or not.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh trust me my ts are my lifes there's: jaillord (costarican stripe leg) theres tex mex (mexican red knee baby) and red(formally rosie),Rosie (formally grace),and lord Eragon (all theses three are rosies) i care for them and when red broke his leg i asked my t freak friends if i hsould bring him to the vet. I'm concerned about him i can't sleep much...(must i go on???)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well pink - tarantula loves her t.s i can see that :clap: :clap: :clap: and now knows that t. is a male :eek: :eek: and wants to get female for a mate ? i been asked to sex some t.s for her but i am no expert on sexing t.s :8o :8o :8o can any one help her out ? i would if i could i think she will have to post some picts of them sorry i can not help you pink - tarantula but good for you that you LOVE your t.s -----:clap: :clap: :clap: ---- phil

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i never said you didn't like your ts - i certainly believe you do. just do them the favour of learning as much as possible about them, and that's easiest with a good book.