Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Help!!! My pink toe was on it's back and I think i scared her, then she flipped back up!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Coy davis, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Coy davis

Coy davis Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I came back from a shopping and I come home to my pink toe on her back, I saw a youtube video that said when's she does that mist the container so her fluids dont dry up. I sprayed only a little bit and I think it scared her. She flipped back up and hasn't done anything!! I feel like the worst owner on this earth. She was moving today and was adding on to her funnel at the bottom of her web. Do you think she will die from molting wrong?!?!

Attached Files:

2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

No, she won't die. Just leave her alone and she'll flip back over and molt. When she does flip back over again in a bit, just don't disturb her nor bother her or her enclosure. There's no need to spray since tarantulas typically rely on their own fluids to molt. The only time you should be assisting is when the tarantula is stuck in a bad molt after a while or when something goes awfully wrong. So just leave her and the enclosure alone and she'll go back into molting position.

Also that enclosure isn't really ideal for her. So you should redo her enclosure in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Coy davis

Coy davis Arachnopeon

What kind of ideal enclosure should I add, and what type of container

4. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

You could get something as simple as a pretzel jar and poke or carefully melt ventilation holes along the sides. Also try to get about an eight or nine inch long piece of cork bark for her to use as a climbing surface. Then glue with a hot glue gun some fake silk plants from like a craft store. (You can rinse them with water with a tiny little bit of Dawn or Seventh Generation dishwashing soap). Just arrange them radiating out from the cork bark like branches on a tree. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron

I had one flip over a few times before finally molting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

There is no one best enclosure....many will work....its more the set up within the enclosure that needs alterations.

Wood should provide a stable platform to hunt from and stretch out on. And the tops of the wood should be surrounded with plants....it should be fairly cluttered at elevated positions....heres an example...

• Like Like x 1
  7. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire

UK
    Just out of interest, which YouTube video was it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You watched a StupidTube video so you believed it??o_O

If the poster said to spray vinegar would you have done that too:banghead::rolleyes:o_O

Unlike reptiles, increased humidity doesn’t help Ts molt!

9. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

Ahem. I'm sorry, @Coy davis and anyone reading this in the future. The point is that it's def easy to get lost in all the bad advice and misinformation out there, especially when you're new and inexperienced, because the world/internet is way more full of that poop than the good information. This forum is full of good advice, useful information, and some helpful people. Please don't ever be put off asking questions! Searching the forum is an invaluable resource. I also always recommend the info put out by Tom Moran/Tom's Big Spiders. The rest of the information out there is... well, it's suspect at best. But you're new, and it's hard to know the good from the bad without experience. But yes, welcome to the forum!

Also, spraying is probably generally never a good method for adding moisture in any situation, there are far better ways... And spraying in this particular situation, at the time of molting, does nothing for the tarantula. Hydration is important before and during molting, certainly, but it should be in the form of a water dish available at all times.

Other than all the great advice already mentioned, I believe ventilation, particularly cross ventilation, is crucial for this genus. Def rehouse as previously explained, plus provide lots of cross ventilation for your friend.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.