help my p.metallica won't eat

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
help i have had my p.metallica for about 3 weeks now but i cant get him to eat this is my first p.metallica i have had other t's but never really had a problem like this can anyone help me?

12/22/2016

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Could be in premolt. How big is the specimen? Pics would help if you can, but it is probably just in premolt. Give it a few more weeks and you may have an absolutely beautiful freshly molted P. metallica on your hands! Hope it works out, love that species ;)

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
How cold is it in Fontana right now? Im in fullerton ca and its been fairly cold recently your p met might be cold and this will slow down its metabolism

cold blood

Staff member
3WEEKS!! Call the national guard...hehe....3 weeks is hardly a worry. In a couple months, maybe re-vive the thread.:D

pics please.

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
i was thinking pre molt too but i was also thinking what is the mating season for these guys? here is a pic 15697091_1288326377922437_95594607_o (3).jpg

Abyss

Arachnoknight
currently its about 55 outside but mid 70s inside. i have tried crickets and dubia roaches (all sizes)
T is fine, 3 weeks is nothin to a T pal.
Good lookin specimen (my fav species)

Grab us a picture of the enclosure and setup if ya can. T could be uncomfortable an stressed as It may be a husbantry issue (its its actually an issue).

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Just curious.Did you make any records,or do you remember where/who you got the P.metallica from? And when?
If not,no big deal.Nice T by the way.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Here is a great example of me freaking out on my first pokie too ;) A month or two ago, I purchased my first pokie: a P. rufilata. I couldn't wait to watch it web and eat. Sadly, it did neither for a month+. I worried myself something serious, fearing I was doing something wrong. Then, right as I had to move her to a new shelf, I noticed a big ol' molt right out of her burrow. Needless to say, it's probably nothing :D I know nothing of P. metallicas, but 3 weeks for a juvie/adult T is nothing. They can go into premolt for months. Looks like yours is in early premolt too, those colors are just gorgeous! Don't worry, they are pretty tough animals. Give it a month or two, maybe even three. If no eating then, it might be a problem. For now, it is probably fine. Just give it a little more time.

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
Here is a great example of me freaking out on my first pokie too ;) A month or two ago, I purchased my first pokie: a P. rufilata. I couldn't wait to watch it web and eat. Sadly, it did neither for a month+. I worried myself something serious, fearing I was doing something wrong. Then, right as I had to move her to a new shelf, I noticed a big ol' molt right out of her burrow. Needless to say, it's probably nothing :D I know nothing of P. metallicas, but 3 weeks for a juvie/adult T is nothing. They can go into premolt for months. Looks like yours is in early premolt too, those colors are just gorgeous! Don't worry, they are pretty tough animals. Give it a month or two, maybe even three. If no eating then, it might be a problem. For now, it is probably fine. Just give it a little more time.

i was worried about the webbing too but then just about a week ago he did a pretty good web. and thank you i like his color too, i like the P. rufilata too they are beautiful
15697029_1288326311255777_1865659440_o.jpg

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
Just curious.Did you make any records,or do you remember where/who you got the P.metallica from? And when?
If not,no big deal.Nice T by the way.

i gought the p.metallica from reptile island in Rancho Cucamonga CA. about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and yes i do keep records about every thing to have to do with my animals :)

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
T is fine, 3 weeks is nothin to a T pal.
Good lookin specimen (my fav species)

Grab us a picture of the enclosure and setup if ya can. T could be uncomfortable an stressed as It may be a husbantry issue (its its actually an issue).

here is that pic you wanted 15722605_1152636364819792_1730527744_n.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
here is that pic you wanted View attachment 227577
What are you using to prevent the substrate from falling out? The whitish thing at the bottom? Are you keeping it attached with tape?
If yes, that is not the best way to fix things, since T's have no problem with chewing through that, which is not a good thing for a fast and very venomous species ;)

the critter guy

Arachnopeon
What are you using to prevent the substrate from falling out? The whitish thing at the bottom? Are you keeping it attached with tape?
If yes, that is not the best way to fix things, since T's have no problem with chewing through that, which is not a good thing for a fast and very venomous species ;)

I know I just made dew with what I had at the time I'm going to buy all the right equipment when I get my next paycheck. and "the whitish thing at the bottom" is a cut out of a rubber maid lid (I know not the best but I'm gonna get Plexiglas soon) and I have the metal screen that goes over that plastic :)

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know I just made dew with what I had at the time I'm going to buy all the right equipment when I get my next paycheck. and "the whitish thing at the bottom" is a cut out of a rubber maid lid (I know not the best but I'm gonna get Plexiglas soon) and I have the metal screen that goes over that plastic :)
Nothing wrong with rubbermaid :), only most people use whole box of it as an enclosure, :p
Careful with the screen being a wall for the T to climb on, they can get their tarsal claws stuck in it. But i think you'll just turn that entire side into plexiglas?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Make sure an get some foliage an an hor points toward the top too so the T feels safe