HELP! My baby desert hairy is on his back!

desertscorpbaby

Arachnopeon
My boyfriend and I just recently got a baby desert hairy about a couple weeks ago. We got his enclosure set up, he wasn’t eating and this morning we woke up to him on his back, wide open, (I will attach pictures), and I’m not sure if he is in mid-molt, dead, or if it was a failed molting process and died while trying to molt. Please help. He came out of his hide and I guess flipped on his back. He has water, refused food, but he isn’t moving/twitching at all 709BDAB6-D614-4C40-B685-C8A247C5A506.jpeg

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Looks stiff from the photo... have you tried to touch it with a brush ? Just to see if it responds

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
its quite fat, could be a molting issue. This species does have problems with molting and they generally hide inside a burrow to molt. You mentioned it had access to water so it doesn't appear to be a problem with not enough hydration (which they need to molt successfully)

desertscorpbaby

Arachnopeon
its quite fat, could be a molting issue. This species does have problems with molting and they generally hide inside a burrow to molt. You mentioned it had access to water so it doesn't appear to be a problem with not enough hydration (which they need to molt successfully)
So should I move him back into the burrow? He came out and then did this so I’m not sure if I should move him back? How will I know if he’s dead or just molting

desertscorpbaby

Arachnopeon
Also we got him from the pet store all fat, so I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing that he’s fat??

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
fat isn't bad. you could try putting him on moist paper towels, I've seen this work on other insects that are seemingly dead.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Also we got him from the pet store all fat, so I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing that he’s fat??
Scorpions don't molt on their backs, unlike T's. They lay flat and crawl forward out of the old skin. The way the tail is curled is not a good sign, and they do tend to leave their burrows when they sense the end. Sorry. Young scorpions sometimes won't eat due to stress and similar issues. Very, very few people have ever been successful raising young of this species passed 4i. If you really like them purchase an adult, you will still have many years of enjoyment with an adult. Once again sorry, these things happen unfortunately.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions don't molt on their backs, unlike T's. They lay flat and crawl forward out of the old skin. The way the tail is curled is not a good sign, and they do tend to leave their burrows when they sense the end. Sorry. Young scorpions sometimes won't eat due to stress and similar issues. Very, very few people have ever been successful raising young of this species passed 4i. If you really like them purchase an adult, you will still have many years of enjoyment with an adult. Once again sorry, these things happen unfortunately.

Buthidae molt supine (on their backs). And evidently Hadrurus may molt supine too.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
My boyfriend and I just recently got a baby desert hairy about a couple weeks ago. We got his enclosure set up, he wasn’t eating and this morning we woke up to him on his back, wide open, (I will attach pictures), and I’m not sure if he is in mid-molt, dead, or if it was a failed molting process and died while trying to molt. Please help. He came out of his hide and I guess flipped on his back. He has water, refused food, but he isn’t moving/twitching at all View attachment 378065
I would probably would leave it alone and if this were a Buthidae I would give a light misting to the opposite end of the terrarium to possibly facilitate molting. But this is the troublesome Hadrurus species (a species that has a high mortality rate involving molting).

I can't tell if it's alive or dead in that pic.

desertscorpbaby

Arachnopeon
I would probably would leave it alone and if this were a Buthidae I would give a light misting to the opposite end of the terrarium to possibly facilitate molting. But this is the troublesome Hadrurus species (a species that has a high mortality rate involving molting).

I can't tell if it's alive or dead in that pic.
I think it’s dead, we went to move it under his burrow and he was limp and actually basically deflated this morning :(

ChiefinOnSomeSkunk

Arachnopeon
This species has issues when it comes to molting. It's not yours or your boyfriend's fault. Here in Arizona, I see these for sale at pet stores all the time for cheap prices, more often than not they are very small babies. Sometimes I feel like I want to pick one up to add to my collection but I have to remind myself that this situation might occur. Like others have stated, if you really enjoy this species it might be best to search for an adult specimen to purchase or catch if possible. I'm sorry for your loss.