Help My Avic

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a thread on 11-19-04.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=36145&highlight=avic

she was doing much better. Now its worse than before!!!. This is very stressful. She hasnt eaten, she actually runs away from the food...i.e. climbs to the top of her cage and hangs there til i remove the cricket. She hasnt made a web. She usually has a web made within 2 days. She is sitting at the bottom of her cage doing nothing. when i open the lid, she tenses up a little, Otherwise, she hasnt moved in a week. Today, I stuck my finger in there and barely touched her back legs, and she slowly put her lil toes on my finger. And then slowly slid them off. :( PLEASE dont tell me she is dying!!!! Its so pitiful, What can I do??? Will a vet do me any good? Will it Stress her too much? The last molt was middle of Nov. Anyone have any suggestions?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
sorry to say this but my avic avic about 3" in size did the same thing your describing in this new thread and it died a few days later ran away from food never built web etc etc so all i can say is wait it out and see what happens but im sure other people on these boards with more exp than me can help you out..good luck hope everything turns out ok

dkny_stylez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im having the same problem with mine, she wont eat, and just sits in one place.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have nothing to worry about. there are times where my Avic and my Rosea won't eat for a few weeks. My rosea fasted for about 5 months the one time, and then he finally decided to eat.

-Mattyb

dkny_stylez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
You have nothing to worry about. there are times where my Avic and my Rosea won't eat for a few weeks. My rosea fasted for about 5 months the one time, and then he finally decided to eat.

-Mattyb
when do you know to feed again? just put one in every week, and if not taken in 24hr, take it out amd repeat for the next week?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I will throw about 2 crix in and if he doesn't eat them for like a week, i'll feed them to another T. Then i will wait about a week and try again.

-Mattyb

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, I re-read your original thread and it's replies.
I hesitate to suggest this as it sounds like she is already extreamly stressed out right now, but here goes...
If she's still in that 10 gallon, take her out, that's too big for a 3" T. Before you do that, make sure that the habitat is completly set up and warmed up to the proper tempture and humidity. Get a look at her fangs and make sure both are still in tact. Pre kill the crix before offering them to her and raise her temps. If you do not have a temp and RH guage, get one so you can keep track of it. I've heard of way too many avics, mine included, that will not web, eat or even care to live if their temps are too low and they don't have enough moisture. A good friend of mine has a juvi avic who hadn't eaten in several months, didn't web up, didn't do anything and they ended up having to elevate the temps to the mid 80's before it would start eating again...now it eats just fine and is acting like an avic should.

That is all I know to tell you, keep her warm, move her if you feel comfortable with it, otherwise keep her in her current set up and just make sure it is warm enough for her and don't give her live prey.
Good luck and I really hope she pulls through this. :(

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
I hesitate to suggest this as it sounds like she is already extreamly stressed out right now, but here goes...
If she's still in that 10 gallon, take her out, that's too big for a 3" T. Before you do that, make sure that the habitat is completly set up and warmed up to the proper tempture and humidity. Get a look at her fangs and make sure both are still in tact. Pre kill the crix before offering them to her and raise her temps. If you do not have a temp and RH guage, get one so you can keep track of it. I've heard of way too many avics, mine included, that will not web, eat or even care to live if their temps are too low and they don't have enough moisture. A good friend of mine has a juvi avic who hadn't eaten in several months, didn't web up, didn't do anything and they ended up having to elevate the temps to the mid 80's before it would start eating again...now it eats just fine and is acting like an avic should.

That is all I know to tell you, keep her warm, move her if you feel comfortable with it, otherwise keep her in her current set up and just make sure it is warm enough for her and don't give her live prey.

hmmm....very interesting...i have all my Ts at room temp. i don't use heaters, and i do not mist. my avic webs, eats, and functions very well. Its about 65* to 75* in my room during this time of the year.

-Mattyb

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my Avic at arount 75 using a heat mat, she switches from being active to motionless frequently (as in staying in the same place for a few days on end) which I don't see as a cause for concern, she eats fine. As for yours turning food down, as long as she's not 'shrinking' then I would'nt stress over it. My Avic only seems to web when she has a molt coming up which I believe is the norm, so again don't worry. She never touches the floor in her tank, so I could'nt give any view on that, so really the only thing I think strange is the fact she is on the floor, hopefully someone can give you a better reply than me.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:

I cleaned her normal cage, which is a 2.5 (tall) gallon aquarium. I changed everything. (substrate, water source, and wood) I moved her back in it a while back and she was fine, and then this. I will try the elevated temps... Is there a heat source you could reccomend that wont stress her?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:

-Mattyb
I had a ball python that didnt eat for that long during the winter months. We kept the temp the same in the cage.... just like now with my avic. Will T's fast like snakes will?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
chique said:
I keep my Avic at arount 75 using a heat mat, she switches from being active to motionless frequently (as in staying in the same place for a few days on end) which I don't see as a cause for concern, she eats fine. As for yours turning food down, as long as she's not 'shrinking' then I would'nt stress over it. My Avic only seems to web when she has a molt coming up which I believe is the norm, so again don't worry. She never touches the floor in her tank, so I could'nt give any view on that, so really the only thing I think strange is the fact she is on the floor, hopefully someone can give you a better reply than me.

What do u mean shrinking? She is sitting with her leags curled tight against her.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
USMuscle9403 said:
I had an A. urticans that did something similar, she'd run away from even pinheads. But then I decided to start cutting up adult crickets and presenting them to her, and she accepted. Oddly enough, when she had masticated the cricket into a 'portable' meal that she could carry around, she began spinning silk around. She never had a problem ever since.
I will try that. When you offered it to her... how did you do it? Did you use tweezers? Did u place it infront of her or under her? She is on the floor of the cage facing the water bowl. She has one leg in the water bowl resting on a marble. There isnt much floor space in her enclosure. I didnt think she would ever use it.

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
What do u mean shrinking? She is sitting with her leags curled tight against her.
By shrinking I mean - is her abdomen getting smaller, does she look like she's loosing weight so to speak? If her abdomen is plump and looking a healthy size then her not eating isn't a problem, for example my Rosea didn't eat for MONTHS! but she remained the same size so I knew there was nothing to worry about with her loss of appetite.

You say she's sitting with her legs curled against her, are they under her or has she just crunched up a bit, because again my Avic does this especially when she's 'hiding' in a corner or something, any chance of a new pic?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i want to thank you all for your help. She died last nite. She was buried today.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
Well i want to thank you all for your help. She died last nite. She was buried today.

Sorry to hear about your avic. :(
Sometimes they just don't make it. I do beleive they are easily stressed.
We never move the T or destroy a web until about a week after a molt when feeding has resumed. We mist container sides daily , not so much for humidity rather drinking water. Our temps are on avg 75 degrees. Our containers vary in size.
Try again they are a marvelous species. :)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't blame yourself, It sounded like you did every thing within reason. Sometimes avic die for no reason. It is like Sudden Avic Death syndrome. Don't give up, try again.