help midnight fell and leaked a brown liquid!!!!!!!1

moniquek

Arachnopeon
im new to having a tarantula i have a black Brazilian male,last night i placed him back in his enclosure on a medium sized garden pot i closed it and walked away to my horrifying ears i heard a plop and turned (midnight my black brazilin fell on his ceramic water bowl and leak a bit of brownish fluid i acted fast and let him run through cornstarch to help clot im beyond upset i feel terrible ill try upload photo,he made it through night and he moves every now and then no more leaking but
can i feed him to help?...
he survived the night his in icu with moist towel right now...
any suggestion i was in tears he is my love bug?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Sorry about your spider.
These sort of injuries are almost always fatal.
Do not feed. Leave it in its enclosure, provide water and wait. It's out of your hands.
Best of luck.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
How much distance did you have between the lid and the substrate? If it’s more than the legspan and a half or so of the T I would give it more if you get another. Falls are usually only fatal when there is too much distance between the lid and the enclosure.

moniquek

Arachnopeon
Take him out of the ICU immediately, that won't help. do you have pictures of the tarantula / enclosure?
Yes

ICU- WRONG

monitor and provide extra water
I have a spray bottle is it alright that I spray every 5 hours to provide moisture?

Take him out of the ICU immediately, that won't help. do you have pictures of the tarantula / enclosure?
I worry most as his tummy underneath is well was open it closed and he hasent lost more fluids just worry alot he does walk around a little then sits like in the photo I provided

Sorry about your spider.
These sort of injuries are almost always fatal.
Do not feed. Leave it in its enclosure, provide water and wait. It's out of your hands.
Best of luck.
Thank you I just feel so bad

image (1)colour of fluid that came out his abdomen
Image (2)the white line is where his tummy split
Image (3) also visual of his injury

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Unfortunately you've learned the hard way that having too much height in your enclosure poses a risk to your T.

In the future do not have any more than 1.5x the diagonal legspan of your T from floor to top of the enclosure to prevent this.

Also don't put hard stuff like rocks, ceramic bowls, plant pots in your enclosure that a T can bounce off if it falls.

There's nothing you can do except wait but I'd prepare for the worst sorry.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Agree the enclosure setup is less than ideal, there’s too much height promoting fall risks.

Also, hopefully the corn starch it crawled through hasn’t covered its book lungs.

You mentioned placing it back into the enclosure. Was there a reason it was out?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
im new to having a tarantula i have a black Brazilian male,last night i placed him back in his enclosure on a medium sized garden pot i closed it and walked away to my horrifying ears i heard a plop and turned (midnight my black brazilin fell on his ceramic water bowl and leak a bit of brownish fluid i acted fast and let him run through cornstarch to help clot im beyond upset i feel terrible ill try upload photo,he made it through night and he moves every now and then no more leaking but
can i feed him to help?...
he survived the night his in icu with moist towel right now...
any suggestion i was in tears he is my love bug?
I'm really sorry this happened. I know you're terribly upset, it's a hard lesson to learn at the expense of the tarantula.

I believe you have a Grammostola pulchra an expensive T here in the U.S. not sure the cost where you live.

You've already had replies from members on why this happened. I hope your G. pulchra makes it I really do.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Sorry hope he survives. You have about a foot and a half of height with a heavy body t which is not ideal. That ceramic hid is also not ideal and can be very dangerous. If it survives, I would recommend a lot more substrate and a cork bark hide

moniquek

Arachnopeon
Sorry hope he survives. You have about a foot and a half of height with a heavy body t which is not ideal. That ceramic hid is also not ideal and can be very dangerous. If it survives, I would recommend a lot more substrate and a cork bark hide
i live in south africa
im proud to say midnight made it through another night still moving no liquids lost...today im takin him out carefully and redoing his cage i have bought a small borrowing log and more new substrate and a small plastic water bowl and moss and bark chips. if i am making a mistake with any of these new cage ornaments please correct me,
is it alright if i move him to redo and fix his home to prevent any further injury?

I'm really sorry this happened. I know you're terribly upset, it's a hard lesson to learn at the expense of the tarantula.

I believe you have a Grammostola pulchra an expensive T here in the U.S. not sure the cost where you live.

You've already had replies from members on why this happened. I hope your G. pulchra makes it I really do.
i live in south africa so i cant remember exactly his cost i got him as my 18th gift.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i live in south africa
im proud to say midnight made it through another night still moving no liquids lost...today im takin him out carefully and redoing his cage i have bought a small borrowing log and more new substrate and a small plastic water bowl and moss and bark chips. if i am making a mistake with any of these new cage ornaments please correct me,
is it alright if i move him to redo and fix his home to prevent any further injury?
I would suggest against moss and bark chips, both are not suitable for this animal. Try to find either coco-fiber/Eco-earth, potting soil or peat, making sure that the latter two has no pesticides and additives. With these terrestrials, it's best to keep the setup simple. Loads of substrate, and we do mean loads. Leave no more than 1.5x space the spider's diagonal legspan between substrate and lid. Offer a simple water dish and a hide, such as a piece of cork bark partially buried into the substrate. Boom, you're done.

Also, no need to mist, despite hailing from Brazil, they are not found in the Tropical Rainforest, but rather dry grasslands and plains. The water dish and their food will give all the moisture they need. Also, feed sparingly. Every 2 weeks or further is perfect. 1-2 crickets or 1 superworm/locust depending on what's available to you. Overfeeding brings both unneeded obesity and a long, long, long premolt phase.

Hope this helps and I truly hope your G. pulchra pulls through. It would be such a shame to lose such a beautiful spider over such a trivial mistake. Best of luck !

moniquek

Arachnopeon
I would suggest against moss and bark chips, both are not suitable for this animal. Try to find either coco-fiber/Eco-earth, potting soil or peat, making sure that the latter two has no pesticides and additives. With these terrestrials, it's best to keep the setup simple. Loads of substrate, and we do mean loads. Leave no more than 1.5x space the spider's diagonal legspan between substrate and lid. Offer a simple water dish and a hide, such as a piece of cork bark partially buried into the substrate. Boom, you're done.

Also, no need to mist, despite hailing from Brazil, they are not found in the Tropical Rainforest, but rather dry grasslands and plains. The water dish and their food will give all the moisture they need. Also, feed sparingly. Every 2 weeks or further is perfect. 1-2 crickets or 1 superworm/locust depending on what's available to you. Overfeeding brings both unneeded obesity and a long, long, long premolt phase.

Hope this helps and I truly hope your G. pulchra pulls through. It would be such a shame to lose such a beautiful spider over such a trivial mistake. Best of luck !
I did all that he is still not moving too much but when he rests he almost seems as his legs are tucking slightly under him but if he is touched he walked fine.if the fall was fatal would he of passed already?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I did all that he is still not moving too much but when he rests he almost seems as his legs are tucking slightly under him but if he is touched he walked fine.if the fall was fatal would he of passed already?
Only time will tell, it's too early to be certain. I would wait at least a couple of weeks before feeding again, then if they eat, poop and eventually molt successfully, then you might be able to say they will be ok.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Do not touch!!

If he is recovering from any injury, the last thing to do is to poke him to look if it's still moves. That's nice way to waste the last energy he has, the same energy he needs to recover.

If you feel that is showing signs of death curl because he lost a lot of fluids, them place a drop of water between the fangs very slowly, to hydrate him.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
it will either recover or die. As others have probably already said your enclosure is a death waiting to happen. Too much height, too many hard surfaces to land on. If you are going to use a clay pot, break them in half vertically, lay on their side and bury it.

moniquek

Arachnopeon
Thank you to all help midnight passed last night in my hands he was in his death curl and I knew he was on his way to that I held him till he fully passed
Thank you all for support was needed so much I've learned from this.

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
Im sorry he didn’t make it! I’m glad you feel you have taken something away from the experience and can apply it to your future arachnids 🙂
Thank you to all help midnight passed last night in my hands he was in his death curl and I knew he was on his way to that I held him till he fully passed

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Very sorry, loss hurts no matter in what form. Spend some time mourning. Learn, as we all do then buy another T.

Again ....sorry for your loss.