Help me

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
I have a Venuzalan Suntiger sling and he is on his back stuck in the web. He hasn't moved for 2 days and I haven't touched him... I want to believe he is molting but I don't know. Any advice would be great.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's been like this for two days? You're not exaggerating?

If that's the case, it's not good. Does it move at all if you lightly touch it with a straw?

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon

If that's the case, it's not good. Does it move at all if you lightly touch it with a straw?
No exaggeration and no movement. I just barley touched a leg but it didn't move and it was stiff

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon

and I can't really see under it well but I can tell that nothing is under it so if it's trying to molt then it hasn't started pushing out.. It hasn't eaten in a few days and it had a small butt and it didn't look shiny

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No exaggeration and no movement. I just barley touched a leg but it didn't move and it was stiff
That's a dead spider, I'm sorry. Even if they're molting, they have some movement and they're not stiff. I bet that if you look at the abdomen, it's shriveled and/or sunken in.

I'm sorry :( It happens, honestly. I lost a handful of slings this past winter. Some my fault, others not. It's unfortunately part of this hobby.

Last edited:

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
That's a dead spider, I'm sorry. Even if they're molting, they have some movement and they're not stuff. I bet that if you look at the abdomen, it's shriveled and/or sunken in.

I'm sorry :( It happens, honestly. I lost a handful of slings this past winter. Some my fault, others not. It's unfortunately part of this hobby.
Nooo how long should I wait to be sure... What would have caused it?? It was fine last week...

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
It kinda looks like he's hanging out underneath the web. Maybe not molting but just chilling. If he is molting all you can do is wait it out unfortunately. It's just to small to try and help. Moving it will only cause damage.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
It kinda looks like he's hanging out underneath the web. Maybe not molting but just chilling. If he is molting all you can do is wait it out unfortunately. It's just to small to try and help. Moving it will only cause damage.
That's what I thought at first but he's not moving at all and it's been 2 days...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Of course, it's nothing but speculation. My vote is a dead spider, but I do hope that I'm wrong.

I see you live in Georgia, meaning that you likely have heat running right now. Enclosures dry out extremely quickly during the winter, and if you weren't misting or had a water dish for drinking water, then it simply dehydrated. That's exactly what took out a couple of my slings.

Leave it for about a week. If it's the same by then... yeah.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
Of course, it's nothing but speculation. My vote is a dead spider, but I do hope that I'm wrong.

I see you live in Georgia, meaning that you likely have heat running right now. Enclosures dry out extremely quickly during the winter, and if you weren't misting or had a water dish for drinking water, then it simply dehydrated. That's exactly what took out a couple of my slings.

Leave it for about a week. If it's the same by then... yeah.

That's the video we made when we found him... And we do have the heat on at night but we keep the enclosures well misted

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
@Jenbond95 so sorry. At a further look the abdomen does appear to be shriveled a bit. Two days at that size it should have molted by now.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
@Jenbond95 so sorry. At a further look the abdomen does appear to be shriveled a bit. Two days at that size it should have molted by now.
well when would be safe to take him out and what should I do to prevent this from happening to my other ts... I have them all in the same type enclosure and they are all fine... I'm really upset.. He was my favorite

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I mean... just, next time look into the proper care of a species before buying it. There was a lot wrong with that enclosure. From what you described, it was way too humid. That's also a terrestrial setup, wholly unsuitable for an arboreal. Ventilation also looked to be lacking.

What other species do you have? We need to remedy this as soon as possible.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
I mean... just, next time look into the proper care of a species before buying it. There was a lot wrong with that enclosure. From what you described, it was way too humid. That's also a terrestrial setup, wholly unsuitable for an arboreal. Ventilation also looked to be lacking.

What other species do you have? We need to remedy this as soon as possible.
Look at the other videos on that channel

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Look at the other videos on that channel
I will tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it. Definitely bed time for me out here. Again, I'm sorry about your spider. We'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Don't get caught up on humidity, you'll do more harm than good. That enclosure was unsuitable and should've been similar to the A. versicolor with better ventilation and a bigger deli cup. That A. versicolor is going to need better cross ventilation.