HELP ME WITH FEEDERS!

Spiderqid

Arachnopeon
Can i feed my tarantulas Periplaneta americana (American cockroach)??

I havent even fed my tarantulas crickets because of their somewhat bad reputation. Right now i feed them mealworms and superworms.

Can someone please give me advice whether it is ok to feed my tarantulas Periplaneta americanas

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definitely avoid wild-caught roaches. Many people use insecticides, insect growth regulators, or baits to try to get rid of roaches. It is entirely possible that any roaches you might catch may have been exposed to one (or more) of these things. A sub-lethal dose of pesticide can leave the roach running around, looking normal - but could still be in its body, where it could harm your spider when he eats the roach - particularly if he ends up eating multiple roaches and the pesticides accumulate in his body. Non-lethal chemicals like insect growth regulators might also be bad for your tarantulas. While they are intended to interfere with the growth and molting process of roaches or other insects, I wouldn't want to risk the possibility that they might similarly affect a spider.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I would say it's easier to culture feeder roaches than it is to catch them. If you have pitcher plants save the wild caught american cockroaches for them tho.

Spiderqid

Arachnopeon
Definitely avoid wild-caught roaches. Many people use insecticides, insect growth regulators, or baits to try to get rid of roaches. It is entirely possible that any roaches you might catch may have been exposed to one (or more) of these things. A sub-lethal dose of pesticide can leave the roach running around, looking normal - but could still be in its body, where it could harm your spider when he eats the roach - particularly if he ends up eating multiple roaches and the pesticides accumulate in his body. Non-lethal chemicals like insect growth regulators might also be bad for your tarantulas. While they are intended to interfere with the growth and molting process of roaches or other insects, I wouldn't want to risk the possibility that they might similarly affect a spider.
They will be bought from a breeder, is that still ok?

Yes it is so long as you are buying them from a breeder but don’t feed wild caught insects.
Perfect! Thank you so much!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They will be bought from a breeder, is that still ok?
Of course! As long as they are raised as feeders, they should be fine.

Just be careful to avoid escapees. American cockroaches can climb and fly quite well - and unlike some exotic roaches, could easily infest a home.

Spiderqid

Arachnopeon
Of course! As long as they are raised as feeders, they should be fine.

Just be careful to avoid escapees. American cockroaches can climb and fly quite well - and unlike some exotic roaches, could easily infest a home.
With that said, do you recommend Australian roaches instead?

Those are the only ones available near me**

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I would find cultures of either australian or american ccokroaches online. What made you want to feed them american roaches?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With that said, do you recommend Australian roaches instead?

Those are the only ones available near me**
If the only feeders you can get are Australian or American roaches, then you'll have to make do with what you can get. As long as they are raised as feeders and not wild caught, they should be safe. Either species is capable of infesting your home - particularly if you live in a warm, humid climate (or just keep your house warm). In Canada, I would expect that they would not do as well as they would in warmer regions, but that mainly affects their ability to spread beyond your home.

Just be sure to take steps to make sure they don't get out and start breeding in your home. Make sure there are no ventilation holes or other gaps large enough for even newly-hatched roaches to squeeze through, because it's always possible (and even probable) that they will breed - or that some of them are already gravid. If you get a species that can climb the sides of your enclosure (many roaches are expert climbers) consider putting a layer of Vaseline around the top of the enclosure to keep them from getting out. I have a band of Vaseline about an inch wide around the top of the tank with my hissing cockroaches, because those little buggers are unbelievable escape artists.

Spiderqid

Arachnopeon
If the only feeders you can get are Australian or American roaches, then you'll have to make do with what you can get. As long as they are raised as feeders and not wild caught, they should be safe. Either species is capable of infesting your home - particularly if you live in a warm, humid climate (or just keep your house warm). In Canada, I would expect that they would not do as well as they would in warmer regions, but that mainly affects their ability to spread beyond your home.

Just be sure to take steps to make sure they don't get out and start breeding in your home. Make sure there are no ventilation holes or other gaps large enough for even newly-hatched roaches to squeeze through, because it's always possible (and even probable) that they will breed - or that some of them are already gravid. If you get a species that can climb the sides of your enclosure (many roaches are expert climbers) consider putting a layer of Vaseline around the top of the enclosure to keep them from getting out. I have a band of Vaseline about an inch wide around the top of the tank with my hissing cockroaches, because those little buggers are unbelievable escape artists.
Sounds good!!! Thank you so much!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I respect that, its just because some people has told me about how crickets may lead to DKS and i just dont wanna risk it
Like I said, CLUESS IDIOTS, what you heard is one of the DUMBEST things I've ever read..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad::meh::meh::meh::D

DKS does NOT come from insects or any food a T can eat.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I respect that, its just because some people has told me about how crickets may lead to DKS and i just dont wanna risk it
Earthworms are also an option, meal worms, super worms, wax worms, hornworms, all ok as long as they are from a reputable source for feeders

Kaden Bryant

Arachnosquire
Earthworms are also an option, meal worms, super worms, wax worms, hornworms, all ok as long as they are from a reputable source for feeders
I have some nightcrawlers I could use... I thought I heard someone say the mucus could get stuck on their fangs or something although now I’m assuming that was a myth?

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I have some nightcrawlers I could use... I thought I heard someone say the mucus could get stuck on their fangs or something although now I’m assuming that was a myth?
I know they make a big mess when they eat them. I wouldn't use them as a main feeder. More of an occasional treat

They do seem to enjoy them though

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I have to agree with @viper69 , ive used crickets for a decade of invertebrate keeping and just over 2 years of T keeping, and the only bad results are when a cricket nabs a molting spider, a small Diplurid i had, which i view as 200% my own fault. I have heard no stories of cricket related DKS symptoms, and have never experienced any myself even across 2 species of crickets over these 10 years. DKS symptoms almost always stem from environmental poisons like flea/tick treatment on pets, potent aerosol sprays (even then this is rarely an issue), or poisoned prey items such as household roaches. For this reason, i actually like to joke with myself that DysKinetic Syndrome is really Defective Keeper Syndrome since most of the time these issues are easily preventable.

I can assure you that by all means, crickets are a perfectly safe feeder for T's as long as you watch them around a T in premolt.
Heres a microscopic MM Selenotypus sp. 2.5 with a small cricket as extra evidence, he is still alive and happy today
20200323_183046.jpg