Help me to identify this reptile

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
I found this reptile two days ago in my girlfriend's backyard, the reptile doesn't move, we thought that it could be injured or something, because it was breathing, but it only moved few steps and also it let us grab it. We don't know if it is endemic to the region, we are from Mexico City, and never saw a lizard like this type (in fact it's quite rare, since our city is so urbanized that wildlife is rare to see, except for common insects) If the photos does not help at all I will try to use a better camera. It does not eat anything, we don't know what does it feeds on. It's temporarily in a terrarium that I used for an Emp. Scorpion. Thank You

Attachments

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it looks like a spiny lizard of some kind but i couldn't tell you the species even with better pics.

it may be injured or it may be terrified and that may be why it won't eat. it should be able to eat crickets of an appropriate size though once it feels like it.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure, but it looks like something from the Sceloporus genus.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sceloporus sp. Not sure the exact species, but chances are it is native. They're found throughout North America and numerous species are found in Mexico.

J

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
I searched for the sceloporus species, and they are very similar, than you very much, that helps a lot. I've never been into reptiles, any suggestion to keep it better before we realese this budy. I think its pretty sick, as I said by the ehavior of our endemic lizards, (know that i've looked this sceloporus species I think most lizards in Mexico city are from these species) they tend to be very nervous and run quite fast. And this budy did not moved at all. It's still alive but It barely moves. Even when we grab it with the hand it did not try to flee or fight. I put some crickets but, no results. Hope you can help me with some tips and thank yoy again.

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
Also I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sceloporus_olivaceus it is very similar to the one we caught, very very similar, but as an amateur, I dont assume that's the species. Also what I found rare is that their apearance seems for an arid geography, most of central Mexico is semi-arid mountanous geography and of course the north is arid and desert lands. But Mexico City it's located in a Valley, in which the climate and geography changes a lot from all central Mexico. In a region that once where lagoons and marshes, with pine and coniferous forests. I don't know if by the characteristics of the animal it's part of the endemic region of the central mexican valleys. Thank you again I hope it gets well soon.

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
I searched for the sceloporus species, and they are very similar, than you very much, that helps a lot. I've never been into reptiles, any suggestion to keep it better before we realese this budy. I think its pretty sick, as I said by the ehavior of our endemic lizards, (know that i've looked this sceloporus species I think most lizards in Mexico city are from these species) they tend to be very nervous and run quite fast. And this budy did not moved at all. It's still alive but It barely moves. Even when we grab it with the hand it did not try to flee or fight. I put some crickets but, no results. Hope you can help me with some tips and thank yoy again.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup, they're supposed to be extremely fast and skittish. Have you offered it a bowl of water?

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
Yes I've already gave it a bowl of water and many crickets, I hope it chases some crickets, I've put like 7 crickets.

susannwv

Arachnopeon
He almost looks like a uromastyx but they have longer tails and from the pic his looks very short. Is it broke off?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He almost looks like a uromastyx but they have longer tails and from the pic his looks very short. Is it broke off?
It is definitely not a uromastyx. Uromastyx don't have a body covered in large shingle like scales with a central keel as you see on this lizard. Uros also have a flattened appearance. It is Sceloporus sp. as stated above.

KnoVik22

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all the information about these species, and the information was pretty useful, unfortunately the reptile never ate a single cricket even when I saw that it try to capture them it was unsuccessful, and barely moved. It died about a week ago. Anyway thanks, now I'm left with the feeder crickets. Any link to this same forum to make a good cricket colony, for being future feeders?.