Help me select my 19th and 20th tarantulas

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I have a nice collection of spiders, some of the obvious ones people like. I don't think I have the room to get too many more, and would like some help selecting the next two or three.

I got most of mine as sling around the beginning of this year, they are growing up, some faster than others. :)

Some preferences:
1) That environmental requirements are not more difficult than for the tarantulas I already own.
2) Mellow spider preferred - however fast is okay, and moderately aggressive is okay - but not both in one spider, if possible. (My H macs are still small but scare the crap out of me, they are so quick, but I am fine with my OBT.) I like all the spiders in my collection a lot.
3) I tend to like heavier bodied fuzzy spiders, or the stocky ones with a "velvet" look. Smooth, leggy thin ones, not so much.
4) Prefer captive bred.

Here are the 18 I currently have, last ones were purchased in late 2009 through March 2010:

C cyanopubescens
P cambridgei
P irminia (2)
L violaceopes
A avicularia
Euathlus "blue" (2)
N coloratovillosus
B smithi
B klaasi
G pulchra
L parahybana
Epebopus murinus
P murinus (OBT)
H maculata (2)
X immanis

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Hi,

C cyanopubescens
P cambridgei
P irminia (2)
L violaceopes
A avicularia
Euathlus "blue" (2)
N coloratovillosus
B smithi
B klaasi
G pulchra
L parahybana
Epebopus murinus
P murinus (OBT)
H maculata (2)
X immanis

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
t. blondi and and a hentzi

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Anthony, will look into it! :) First thoughts - I'm thinking T blondi may be too fast and aggressive for me, especially in such a large spider. A hentzi are nice, I know they are under-rated, but I was looking for something a bit more unusual.

And, mods, sorry, posted in the wrong forum by mistake. Could someone move this to T-chat?

Last edited:

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
WELL FOR MR TO CHOOSE FROM THAT LIST AND FROM WHAT YOU SAID, I THINK GO FOR THE G PULCHRA AND THE B SMITHI.

BOTH ARE AS YOU SAID HEAVIER BODY T'S.

I KNOW THEY SEEM AS "USUAL" T'S BUT THEY ARE BOTH AMAZING AND BOTH ARE AT THE VERY TOP OF MY WISH LIST LOL.:drool:

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HAGAR, But I already have THEM! :) Looking for two more for my collection.

Motorkar, I'd like more avics, I think with B klaasi and B smithi that I have enough Brachys of that type.

Anyone keep Iridiopelma?

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you have all the ones listed and are only getting two more, I'd only get one and make it a P. Metallica. That's a nice cap off to your collection and those things, at least to me, are beautiful!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. pulchripes and B. albopilosum.

1) Easy to care for
2) Extremely mellow
3) Get fuzzy and stocky
4) Easy to get CB

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get two different Poecliotheria species, you won't regret it. Or a Pelinobius muticus (King Baboon) I know they just love to burrow and are pet holes, but they are still very impressive. If you get a Pokie, get a subfusca, rufilata, miranda, ornata, or the metallica. I know you said heavier bodied tarantulas and mellow, but I think Pokies are not near as bad as people make them out to be. If you do not handle, you should have no problem. The H. mac, OBT, and Psalmopoeus sp. should give you more of a problem then the Pokies.

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get two different Poecliotheria species, you won't regret it. Or a Pelinobius muticus (King Baboon) I know they just love to burrow and are pet holes, but they are still very impressive. If you get a Pokie, get a subfusca, rufilata, miranda, ornata, or the metallica. I know you said heavier bodied tarantulas and mellow, but I think Pokies are not near as bad as people make them out to be. If you do not handle, you should have no problem. The H. mac, OBT, and Psalmopoeus sp. should give you more of a problem then the Pokies.
This works too :)

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Not sure I can limit it to two. :)

It's probably time for me to finally get a pokie or two, and I should expand to other avics, and G. pulchripes and B. albopilosum are great spiders... (BTW, I raised a curly hair from a sling about 15 years ago, gave it away about 12 years ago, it is still alive and well.)

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
:eek: LOL MY BAD. I THOUGHT THAT WAS YOUR LIST OF POSSIBILITY'S SORRY.:eek:

WELL GET A G. pulchripes AND A P. pulcher. THE ARE GREAT.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: LOL MY BAD. I THOUGHT THAT WAS YOUR LIST OF POSSIBILITY'S SORRY.:eek:

WELL GET A G. pulchripes AND A P. pulcher. THE ARE GREAT.
Oh yeahhh my P. pulcher will be arriving today. I have been waiting forever for that T. Just thinking about it gets me so excited.

Just remember LisaD, Pokies are not monsters none of mine have even given me a threat once, yet my three B. vagans always give me a threat pose. Just be aware of their venom, get a sling so it will grow as you grow in experience and you will love it.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
oh yeahhh my p. Pulcher will be arriving today. I have been waiting forever for that t. Just thinking about it gets me so excited.

I agree with you they are great.{d

just remember lisad, pokies are not monsters none of mine have even given me a threat once, yet my three b. Vagans always give me a threat pose. Just be aware of their venom, get a sling so it will grow as you grow in experience and you will love it.
this is a good option for any one that want to start with pokies.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
How about P. muticus and Augacephalus junodi , they are both on my wish list.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brazilian White Banded (Acanthoscurria brocklehursti) and Goa Mustard (Thrigmopoeus truculentus)

I have allways wanted a Goa Mustard to I think you have talked me into getting one thanks.;)

I believe both of these are beautiful spiders that should meet your requirements

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
Try P. irmina, great looking, easy to find, on the cheep side, grow faster, speed is fast, kind of a temper but in a sweet way lol, "they love to give hugs." Or anything from that genus. just my opinion,

Hope you enjoy your new additions whatever you decide to get.

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
Try P. irmina, great looking, easy to find, on the cheep side, grow faster, speed is fast, kind of a temper but in a sweet way lol, "they love to give hugs." Or anything from that genus. just my opinion,

Hope you enjoy your new additions whatever you decide to get.
I am a dip, didnt read that you have two from that genus, sorry...:wall:.maybe P. pulcher then??

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My suggestion is for a T. Gigas or some other type of Tap. They are pretty quick, and i've heard defensive, but their venom isn't that bad. Mine are very active.

Anyone keep Iridiopelma?
I think those would be a good choice for something different as a lot of people don't have them.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B.vagans-grow fast, have an interesting temperament-bi-polar, but are fun and impressive

Poki- any will be fine, i got obts, and pokies- i have never actually dealt with speed nor a threat display, just knock on the enclosure before you do any maintenance and you'll be fine.

but if your looking for challenge get a Rosie and try to set a natural tank, i dare you try to make it burrow. and then breed!