help me pick?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
are there any nice arboreal tarantulas that are not avics?

just wanted to know thx

chebe2

Arachnopeon
It depends on what you mean by nice. Do you want to handle it?

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
gotta get here before redneck does - Pslamopoeus!
i recommend the P cambridgei or the P irminia, or the P pulcher - not so much the reduncus.

or Tapenauchenius T's.

<edit> yep - what do you mean "nice"?

Last edited:

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
not really handle but not somthing that gonna come after me
like wana be able to go in the tank

also if there is somthing i can handle that would be great too

chebe2

Arachnopeon
In that case I 2nd Pslamoepoeus. I have two 3inch P. irmina and there pretty easy to manuever around when needed. Haven't tried holding them though!?! Not sure if anyone will "recommend" holding too many arboreals.

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
well - IME the Psalmopoeus won't go after you.
but they are fast and skittish at times - what's your experience level ya?

and why write off the Avicularia?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gotta get here before redneck does - Pslamoepoeus!
i recommend the P cambridgei or the P irminia, or the P pulcher - not so much the reduncus.

or Tapenauchenius T's.

<edit> yep - what do you mean "nice"?
{D How could you beat me to this?! Man!

To the OP... I agree with farrisbaharom... There is nothing better than a Psalmo.. I do have to change the order in which to get the Psalmos..

1) pulcher
2) irimina
3) cambridgei
4) reduncus

Only get these if you want one that is FAST.. So far my Psalmos have proved to be faster than my Tap.. But I only have one T. gigas for now..

My Psalmos are skittish.. They choose to run & hide if I even touch their enclosure.. So cleaning is easy.. They are awesome eaters..

I threw in a cricket with my 5" female irminia.. I looked away for 2 seconds.. Then I hear a "thud"... The irminia came running out of her tub web and hit the other side of her enclosure.. That much speed & force to make a loud thud.. That was great.. I couldnt figure out what it was at first.. Then I saw the irminia hanging on the other side of her enclosure.. {D

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
well - IME the Psalmopoeus won't go after you.
but they are fast and skittish at times - what's your experience level ya?

and why write off the Avicularia?
i wrote them off becuz i already got a leata and the other avics don't interest me

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
nice choice - i get you now.
my original statement stands - P cambridgei for subtlety, P irminia for drop dead in your face looks.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Popcangenie, Aw, what the heck!? Go ahead and get yourself a couple P. ornata. I recently got mine so can't tell you much except they're kinda shy and retiring as sling so far- and growing fast...... Uh oh! Maybe not after reading post #4- which might rule them out....

Oh well,.... and good luck with the choice,

Terry

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D I'm finally getting a subadult P. cambridgei next weekend. IMO, I think they are much more beautiful then the P. irmina.

On the other hand, I finally found some awesome pictures of P. reduncus thanks to TWT, & can't wait for my sling to get bigger. Their copper color is awesome.

My Pslam sling is also very skittish. The slightly vibration makes it disappear. However, I have 3 T. gigas & they are all on crack, vibrations just send them in laps. Two have gotten better since they webbed up the bottoms, but the third one is aweful. Currently it's in premolt & had hidden itself away, but I look forward to it going back to it's devilish ways.

Also, why not a pokie? Start off with a sling & learn how to deal with the speed. My P. ornata sling stays out in the open & doesn't away or out when i'm doing things.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
found this in my threads and i now got a irmina not the meanest thing but shes a really chill tarantula and i got it for 30 bucks ( its about 3 inchs )