Help me ID please!!

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
1E095629-0921-4336-A1D0-4060A9493F33.jpeg Hey everyone I am completely new here, and especially new to the world of collecting spiders. This is my first post, but I was sleeping yesterday and my son noticed that spider was crawling next my foot. We caught it, build an enclosure for it, and I just need to know what kind of spider we are dealing with. If anyone can help me ID this little guy, I would really appreciate it!

He is a dark brown color with white dots going vertically down his abdomen parallel for me Joe there. He also has white striped legs.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I think for a proper identification we need a better photo. The shape for me suggests a member of agelenopsis genus possibly. It might be a wolf spider though also, the wolf spider might be more likely.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
E2625149-11F8-4F25-BE62-52A79F3F13B8.jpeg This is the absolute best picture that my iPhone 5 will allow. Sorry for the bad quality. Thanks in advance!

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
1875AC7F-D45C-40B4-8F6F-DCC123515D9D.jpeg Thanks for the compliment on the enclosure! It is 5x5x6inch. I just went to Petsmart to get some small crickets. He/she wasn’t interested in the least bit. I will continue to try and feed him/her. As far as the spinnerets, they are so small you can hardly see them.
It's probably a wolf spider but agave on shot or good photo of its spinnerets would confirm,your enclosure looks good may I ask how big it is

The wolf

Arachnolord
View attachment 265900
“Somewhat” better picture of spinnerets.
I just re read my post I'm not sure what happened there
I was thinking maybe the enclosure was to big but unless you have any problems it seems fine definitely a wolf spider once someone gets a better id it could turn out to need a little more substrate

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
I was thinking maybe the enclosure was to big but unless you have any problems it seems fine definitely a wolf spider once someone gets a better id it could turn out to need a little more substrate
It’s definitely a wolf spider. I stumbled upon a video on YouTube and it is exactly identical to the one that I have. It’s also funny that you mention more substrate, because I am actually putting more in as we speak. I will post a picture after I am done! Thanks for your help.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
6B4EAB2B-A3AE-4C3F-AEAC-FB34DB20F1CA.jpeg 6B4EAB2B-A3AE-4C3F-AEAC-FB34DB20F1CA.jpeg
There we go! I feel a lot better about this now, then the way I had it set up before. Keep in mind, this is absolutely my first enclosure that I have ever built. How do you think it looks? More substrate, or is that sufficient?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Suggestions. Patience is a virtue here. Emulate the environment you found the spork in, keep it safe and undisturbed a few days and just observe. It won't starve for weeks.
It's habits and mannerisms will help you determine what it is and wants for a happy life. If it starts to make a web and if so what kind or if it's a ranging hunter. Observing will also help you and us determine if it is mature, male or female, and what adjuncts to it's life might help.

I'm a little concerned about it's water dish. Piling in on it's back and drowning is always possible. But others here are much better at determining if it is a hazard.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
Suggestions. Patience is a virtue here. Emulate the environment you found the spork in, keep it safe and undisturbed a few days and just observe. It won't starve for weeks.
It's habits and mannerisms will help you determine what it is and wants for a happy life. If it starts to make a web and if so what kind or if it's a ranging hunter. Observing will also help you and us determine if it is mature, male or female, and what adjuncts to it's life might help.

I'm a little concerned about it's water dish. Piling in on it's back and drowning is always possible. But others here are much better at determining if it is a hazard.
Those are all things that make a lot of sense, I appreciate that. I’m not sure what else to do with his water dish, but I definitely am going to take you up on your advice though, 100%. Also, this is the second time that I have set his enclosure up (because I did not have enough substrate the first time). I have had him in captivity now for two days, and last night when everyone was sleeping, he did get very minimal webbing done, I’m not sure if this helps. If you have any other pieces of advice, please let me know. As far as emulating his environment in which he was found, my son actually found him sleeping by my feet when I was taking a nap yesterday, so it’s difficult to know what is happy environment is.

The Snark

Old Timer
...so it’s difficult to know what is happy environment is.
Welcome to the world of Arach 101. What makes a happy spider? A balmy breeze and a moth once a night makes a Nephila a happy camper. A warm rock with gnats and flies buzzing about a salticids slice of heaven. A dark damp hole with a place to hide forever the Latrodectus dream home. Leaf mold loaded with bugs and a dark night, a Lycosids paradise. A tree or wall where it can park undisturbed and doze, the Sparassids choice to sit and daydream until nightfall when it becomes a deadly hunter. And of course, with numerous species, swollen palps in a mature male, romance is the thing in life and maybe not have any interest at all in eating.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the world of Arach 101. What makes a happy spider? A balmy breeze and a moth once a night makes a Nephila a happy camper. A warm rock with gnats and flies buzzing about a salticids slice of heaven. A dark damp hole with a place to hide forever the Latrodectus dream home. Leaf mold loaded with bugs and a dark night, a Lycosids paradise. A tree or wall where it can park undisturbed and doze, the Sparassids choice to sit and daydream until nightfall when it becomes a deadly hunter. And of course, with numerous species, swollen palps in a mature male, romance is the thing in life and maybe not have any interest at all in eating.
Good looking out! Thank you for the enlightening entertainment. I did try to feed him a small size cricket today and he was completely uninterested in it. He actually is scared of it. He just ran from it anytime the cricket got close. Any remedies for that?

The Snark

Old Timer
Not eating is not a big deal in the short term with spiders. Roughly, in order of reasons, it is caused by,
Common among web weavers outside their webs:
-Hostile environment, flight instinct triggered
-Wrong prey.
-It can't. Can't even identify the food. Most web weavers need a web to tell it what and how to eat.

With ranging hunters:
-Hostile environment again
-Wrong time of day, night
-Alien environment. Can't relate to it's surroundings
-Wrong prey

And/or
-Just isn't hungry
-Looking for a mate
-Wants a hide, base of operations

And we need some of the experts to weigh in here top fill the list out.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
Not eating is not a big deal in the short term with spiders. Roughly, in order of reasons, it is caused by,
Common among web weavers outside their webs:
-Hostile environment, flight instinct triggered
-Wrong prey.
-It can't. Can't even identify the food. Most web weavers need a web to tell it what and how to eat.

With ranging hunters:
-Hostile environment again
-Wrong time of day, night
-Alien environment. Can't relate to it's surroundings
-Wrong prey

And/or
-Just isn't hungry
-Looking for a mate
-Wants a hide, base of operations

And we need some of the experts to weigh in here top fill the list out.
Is there anyway to bump this thread to get attention from the professionals? I hope it’s not the wrong prey, but I am noticing that the spider is creating web little at a time, so I’m betting that is it.

The Snark

Old Timer
Yell ALL HANDS ON DECK! Let me try, @Ungoliant @chanda et al, some help here?

One thing of note. With many animals, especially predators, if the flight instinct has been triggered they need a cool down period. With spiders, they find a hide and enter a torpor like state to let the chemicals triggering the condition to disperse. It sometimes happens that food introduced into the spider's environment will keep it from entering the cool down state. Thus quiet and solitary confinement is often the answer to not eating.

goodkidvin

Arachnopeon
7B33E098-FED9-4C4B-B2BE-187E1166D17E.jpeg
Yell ALL HANDS ON DECK! Let me try, @Ungoliant @chanda et al, some help here?

One thing of note. With many animals, especially predators, if the flight instinct has been triggered they need a cool down period. With spiders, they find a hide and enter a torpor like state to let the chemicals triggering the condition to disperse. It sometimes happens that food introduced into the spider's environment will keep it from entering the cool down state. Thus quiet and solitary confinement is often the answer to not eating.
I think you are absolutely right. He has been acting extremely scared last night, and pretty much all day today, so I am just going to leave him alone for a few days. I’m trying to empathize with a freaking spider haha. I’m sure he’ll come around. I have his enclosure set up in my kitchen on the windowsill right by the sink.

The Snark

Old Timer
One will find spiders are more predictable and trustworthy, and far more interesting, than the average politician, most salespersons, wait persons, telephone canvassers, bill collectors, attorneys, in laws, siblings, Hollywood moguls, and and and and and and ...
And since they are all beneficial and nearly all are harmless, they tend to make quite nice room mates. Nothing quite like a sparassid motoring around your living room crashing into things or a jumper on a wall prowling about to keep you amused.

I had a pholcid this AM demand my coffee was now hisher territory and ten minutes of trying to explain mutual habitation later he stormed off across the kitchen floor making me hurriedly corral and lock up the cats.

Last edited: