Help me get bettas into the Guinness Book of World Records!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was looking in various years of the Guinness Book World Records, and noticed that nothing about bettas was mentioned. Now your asking, "what can bettas qualify for in the book?" The answer, this is what I put on their Facebook page where people who make the book look for ideas.

Most variation in a single domestic fish species: Betta Splendens
Comes in over 30 colors, over 10 tails types and length.
Only fish that may come close in variation is the Guppy, but I think even Betta Splendens have more variations currently in domestic variety.

This is the reply I got from someone who helps come up and document records:
Hi Keith, thanks for your suggestion - you're clearly very knowledgeable in this area! I've sent this to our research team for consideration as a new record.

All i'm asking for all of you to do, is go here (if you have Facebook) and like or comment on my suggestion on the page, the more people who like and comment it, the better the chance they will actually consider adding it if they see enough people are interested in it- http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/GuinnessWorldRecords?v=wall (scroll down to yesterdays posts (11/30)

Thanks for your help! Lets get bettas in the record book!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if I'd go with bettas or goldfish there... Sure, bettas have many different tail types and colors, but goldfish have eye variations, colors, patterns, scale differences, tail types, body types, etc.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Except for eyes bettas have the same variations.

I see where your coming from, but Goldfish wont qualify at all, each goldfish like bubble eye or comet is a different species, so you would have to have all those variations in lets say ONLY the Comet to qualify. Even that doesnt have many variations. Only tail length, color, and size.

Betta Splendens (one type of betta only) has all those color,tail,scale,fin,and size differences. more than any single species of goldfish or koi.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Except for eyes bettas have the same variations.

I see where your coming from, but Goldfish wont qualify at all, each goldfish like bubble eye or comet is a different species, so you would have to have all those variations in lets say ONLY the Comet to qualify. Even that doesnt have many variations. Only tail length, color, and size.

Betta Splendens (one type of betta only) has all those color,tail,scale,fin,and size differences. more than any single species of goldfish or koi.
I think you may have been misinformed. All gold fish types are just domesticated forms of Carassius auratus auratus. They are different BREEDS but not different species.