Help me decide which species to be next.

Help me decide which species to be next

• Aphonopelma biocoloratum 2-2.5cm BL female

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Xenesthis intermedia 3cm BL female

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
Hi all
Im stuck choosing between the two big time.
They both are rare and on my want list.
There are occasional slings poping for sale now and then but sexed specimens are really rare where I am.
I will appreciate your input if you not only vote but put a short message why you will go for the chosen species.
Regards Konstantin

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Those are both quite small to be easily sexed at around 1in....I would be wary of anyone saying they are indeed female at 2-3cm. To me seems like a way to jack up the prices even more.
How did they say they were female, do they have anything to prove it, or it it just hearsay?? Id personally never trust anyone selling a 1in as a female without something to back up that claim.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Xenesthis are really popular right now, lots of interest. Imo they're showier and more attractive than the Aphonopelma. Agree about the sexing concerns, I don't know anyone who can accurately sex spiderlings under an inch

Those are both quite small to be easily sexed at around 1in....I would be wary of anyone saying they are indeed female at 2-3cm. To me seems like a way to jack up the prices even more.
How did they say they were female, do they have anything to prove it, or it it just hearsay?? Id personally never trust anyone selling a 1in as a female without something to back up that claim.
Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
Im getting them from a legitimate,reputable and experienced retailers so I do have 100% guarantee they are moult sexed females .
Note that sizes are BL =Body Lenght not leg span so not that small for sexing.I have sexed 4.5 cm DLS tarantulas with similar if not smaller BL successfully with a phone and an zoom app and Im only a small time hobby person.
Regards Konstantin

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
Im getting them from a legitimate,reputable and experienced retailers so I do have 100% guarantee they are moult sexed females .
Note that sizes are BL =Body Lenght not leg span so not that small for sexing.I have sexed 4.5 cm DLS tarantulas with similar if not smaller BL successfully with a phone and an zoom app and Im only a small time hobby person.
Regards Konstantin
Oh okay my bad I did not realize you were referring to that type of measurement. Either way I would just be careful, as people do love to scam people on females that are young.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
IMO, B. boehmei is basically a better version of A. bicoloratum. Similar (but better) colors, much cheaper, easy to find for sale, and grows much faster.

So, if you don't yet have B. boehmei, grab both it and the Xenesthis of your choice.

;)
OP, you can be any species you want ;)
I doubt it.lmo
I know I can get anything and everything that I want if thats what U mean.
Unfortunately with the serious price tag those come with It need to be one now one later and by that time likely the later one will be gone.
I have no issues caring for both species and experience to do so.
I don't mean to sound grumpy but such replies are pointless and not helpful.
Regards Konstantin

IMO, B. boehmei is basically a better version of A. bicoloratum. Similar (but better) colors, much cheaper, easy to find for sale, and grows much faster.

So, if you don't yet have B. boehmei, grab both it and the Xenesthis of your choice.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a juvenile female Brachypelma bohemei already.They are a stunning must have for any serious keeper.
Now will share whats in my head atm.
I love to have both species one day as one is very flashy looks wise, gets decent size ,is fast grower ,will probably be out and about more and has great appetite. The other on the other side is a very slow grower, probably prone to long fasts(judging by my Aphonopelma calcodes AF that I adore to bits), can stay hidden for extended periods and is more of a long term commitment.
I will love to have the X.intermedia right away based on the looks only.
I don't mind the long term commitment to grow any of those from tiny slings and having in mind that slings will probably be the ones available only in future this is where my dilemma comes in play.It will be easier to grow out X.intermedia slings to a size they can be sexed so I know Im growing out a girl than growing bunch of Aphonopelma biocoloratum that may stay small for ears on end before I can sex them.
Thanks everyone for reading and voting.

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if you have a boehmi I would say get the Xen. The A bicoloratum is similar enough it will almost be 2 of the same. (FTR I have B boehmi and A bicoloratum) so if you only have a smallish collection the Xen will provide more variety

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Too easy, Xenesthis intermedia!
I am missing 2 dream spiders in my small (max 15) collection. X. intermedia is that one dream spider (the other T. blondi).

HdLazarus

Arachnopeon
Yeah I'd go with the X. intermedia, they look amazing and as much as I adore some of the Aphonopelmas they just grow so painfully slow in comparison.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my bucket list only has probably a half dozen left and Xenesthis is one of them

Hi all
Thanks for all your votes and comments.
It will be the Xenesthis that I will get.
Regards Konstantin

PS This thread has run its coarse so mods you can lock/ delete it as you think will be better