Help me choose a first T (#2 or 3 I don't remember)

Stugy

Arachnolord
Ah ah one day my man I'm certain. Sadly, unlike here in Europe, as far as I know the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) is very high priced in USA: an offense because 'Freedom of Religion', last time I've checked, was a Right :pompous:
Just in case I end up surprising myself, what would be a good setup for the Queen? Rather unlikely as I've promised myself almost to death that the glorious Queen will be my second but JUST IN CASE :D

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Of the list you posted, the GBB is the best choice. I'd put the N chromatus and A genticulata behind the GBB because they get larger than you'd like.
The E murinus is cool, but it's a pet hole. For a 1st T, you want to see a tarantula, not a hole or just the front legs sitting at the opening.
Save the OBT for later. I will say their perceived insanity is way overrated, especially for someone with some experience. Give them their space and leave them alone. A new person needs a bit of husbandry under their belt to build some confidence first.
A lot of Brachys like the B smithi, just don't grow very fast nor eat a ton. There is a reason females can live for 25+ years.
Have you thought about an arboreal?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well $40 may be affordable for you but not for me in a million years. I don't have a job so I really have no way to make money atm. But I am going to sell a crap ton of old stuff I don't use anymore soon so I hope I get some good money.
Right, I forgot. US-prices...
B.vagans doesn't grow very large, can be feisty for a NW, has good appetite and is very visible.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just in case I end up surprising myself, what would be a good setup for the Queen? Rather unlikely as I've promised myself almost to death that the glorious Queen will be my second but JUST IN CASE :D
Something larger/taller enough that can suit a decent 12 inches of substrate (to you the Honor to choose which one) a piece of cork bark (always loved) and a water dish, my fellow Loyalist :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Something larger/taller enough that can suit a decent 12 inches of substrate (to you the Honor to choose which one) a piece of cork bark (always loved) and a water dish, my fellow Loyalist :)
Could you put an obstacle in the middle of the enclosure to get the T to burrow along the side? They do that on their own sometimes, so the light isn't a problem. I'd probably put red plastic over it so they think it's dark.

Wait, that's genius. I didn't realize how good that idea was until now.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
B. Vagans

Also,given your phrasings, it seems you only want just the one tarantula.Goodluck with that. When i entered the hobby,i thought to myself to only stick with my first 3 brachy slings(sold cheaper as package).after the second month,i had a total of 10 different sp, And 15 after the 3rd month.so yeah,goodluck with that. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Could you put an obstacle in the middle of the enclosure to get the T to burrow along the side? They do that on their own sometimes, so the light isn't a problem. I'd probably put red plastic over it so they think it's dark.

Wait, that's genius. I didn't realize how good that idea was until now.
There's no need. You just need to offer a piece of cork bark (something that, sadly, a lot of obligate burrowers keepers doesn't do because "it's useless since they burrow") and, 8 out 10, the Theraphosidae would create the burrow just under/nearby (they are opportunistic, and opportunists profite of everything, just like a crackhead loves to do with an old abandoned house).

Put said cork bark in diagonal, start a hole near.

With that said, the last "words" about are always the spider ones.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I just want to put a +1 for the C. cyaneopubescens, that species is at the top of my wish list along with the G. pulchra and E. sp. Red. If size is a factor, have you thought about dwarf species?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Maybe we should mention that the P. muticus is one of the most extraordinarily defensive and vicious tarantulas in the world. They throw threat postures, hiss loudly and strike at the slightest disturbance. Not for beginners.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Maybe we should mention that the P. muticus is one of the most extraordinarily defensive and vicious tarantulas in the world. They throw threat postures, hiss loudly and strike at the slightest disturbance. Not for beginners.
Perfect then!

Stugy

Arachnolord
I just want to put a +1 for the C. cyaneopubescens, that species is at the top of my wish list along with the G. pulchra and E. sp. Red. If size is a factor, have you thought about dwarf species?
I have definitely thought of a dwarf species but I hadn't have had the time to search them up.

Stugy

Arachnolord
B. Vagans

Also,given your phrasings, it seems you only want just the one tarantula.Goodluck with that. When i entered the hobby,i thought to myself to only stick with my first 3 brachy slings(sold cheaper as package).after the second month,i had a total of 10 different sp, And 15 after the 3rd month.so yeah,goodluck with that. :D
Lol I know for a fact that I'll mainly keep scorpions. Big spiders are not my love. I mostly just wanna see what this tarantula stuff is all about. I know I'll eventually get more to try out the other kinds (aboreal, terrestrial, desert, etc) but I'm going to stick with my scorpions forever xD plus my money situation will likely keep me from getting other tarantulas anyways (until I get a job :eek:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Of the list you posted, the GBB is the best choice. I'd put the N chromatus and A genticulata behind the GBB because they get larger than you'd like.
The E murinus is cool, but it's a pet hole. For a 1st T, you want to see a tarantula, not a hole or just the front legs sitting at the opening.
Save the OBT for later. I will say their perceived insanity is way overrated, especially for someone with some experience. Give them their space and leave them alone. A new person needs a bit of husbandry under their belt to build some confidence first.
A lot of Brachys like the B smithi, just don't grow very fast nor eat a ton. There is a reason females can live for 25+ years.
Have you thought about an arboreal?
Jeez I'm spamming my own thread rn but I'm on my phone and it's a real hassle to put multiple quotes on the computer (still hadn't figured that out lol). Idc if I have a pet hole lol. All my pets except for maybe my roaches are pet holes, sand, and bark. I have definitely thought of an arboreal, just not sure if I SHOULD. Like I have said in my first post (this is to everyone btw) I keep scorpions. Scorpions are defensive as hell. I don't care if a species of T is known to be super aggressive (but it's nice to know ;)). As for the slow growth rate of the brachypelma species, I do not have heating (besides the AC but my family will just complain) so my feeder supply is very low and I don't know a way to get them started because I know they have more than enough to reproduce but my house is always at room temp. Slow growth rate = less eating = more time to regain feeder populations. Bleh my thumbs are numb now cause I rarely type on my phone lol

Stugy

Arachnolord
They also get HUGE and need a giant enclosure so that maybea violation of what you're looking for.
I happen to have an empty fish tank (just remembered that i was using it to dry out coco fiber... i have my reasons..) so I could do that. And how huge do they get? Would love to know lol

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I happen to have an empty fish tank (just remembered that i was using it to dry out coco fiber... i have my reasons..) so I could do that. And how huge do they get? Would love to know lol
Big females can hit 8 inches, but they are a thick bulky 8 inches, very impressive Ts.

Praise the Goddess! ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
There are claims of nine inches, but it's really more like 7-8. This species destroys their old exoskeletons when they molt, and they're one of the bulkiest species so estimations are generally off by a lot.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I have definitely thought of a dwarf species but I hadn't have had the time to search them up.
While they can be on the pricey side, you would also like Dolichothele diamantinensis. They're basically miniature GBBs but with way more beautiful coloring (IMO). Great feeding response, easy husbandry, and they only grow to around 3".

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
While they can be on the pricey side, you would also like Dolichothele diamantinensis. They're basically miniature GBBs but with way more beautiful coloring (IMO). Great feeding response, easy husbandry, and they only grow to around 3".
Enabler alert!