Help me care for an unidentified extreme sports house spider?

greywolfember

Arachnopeon
Hello! I found this forum through this lovely person's post about a very similar topic. There's a cute little spider in my house of what I call the extreme sports variety because they're the ones that like to crawl on the ceiling and then suddenly drop with no web. Seriously. Extreme sports. I kinda love them.

I found one today and instead of just gently putting it outside, I got a little curious and watched him (just gonna assign a random pronoun) for a bit, and. Developed an emotional attachment and now want to keep him.

I poked around learning the basics of spider ID and giving it a shot, but I'm having a lot of trouble. I'm in the US's pacific northwest, and this lil' guy was in my house, does the whole extreme sports thing, has a kind of longish grey abdomen, no spinnerets as far as I can tell, has some tiny legs but otherwise normal legs, doesn't look hairy, doesn't have prominent eyes, and overall is very tiny. Maybe the size of my small pinky fingernail lengthwise (though I do have the long variety of nails, not the shorter wider variety).

I think I'd be okay plopping this fellow in a decently sized Tupperware bin with some moss peat in the bottom and plants/sticks/cork bark (sourcing from that post I hyperlinked), right? But what in the world do I feed such a minuscule being? Mosquitoes? (I certainly try to murder some buzzy bloodsuckers and give them to the spider, but I honestly think the mosquito might be bigger. Through the reading I've done that might be okay, though?)

And does the enclosure need air holes? Where can I put this guy before everything's all sorted in a better fashion? Right now he's between the ground and an upside-down cup, but I'm going to move him right after this because it's been a bit and I don't think he likes it.

Many thanks in advance!

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
You could put it in a upside down clear plastic cup and poke holes, then put some twigs inside and see what kind of web it makes. That might help in finding what kind of spider it is. I’m no expert but it’s probably the best you can do for now.