Help - M vs F growth rate

Klutz

Arachnopeon
Is it really true that male tarantulas grow faster than females?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Males surely mature faster, but in terms of growth rate, hard to say yes all the time.

Last edited:

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I posted a thread about this not too long ago out of curiosity as well. A lot of people said they had bought two slings of the same species, one being male and one being female, and sometimes the female grew faster, sometimes it was the same rate, and sometimes the male grew faster. If you’re asking because you have a sling growing quickly and you’re assuming it’s male because of this, wait it out and see. You never know until you can sex a molt.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nope not true in either direction, they just mature faster!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Agreed, growth rate can't be directly correlated to a specimen's sex. I've had males grow faster than females and vice versa and haven't found a pattern in species or genus to say in X tarantula species, this sex grows faster. The only for sure statement that can be tied to sexes and growth is that males mature faster than females (and as a result are almost always smaller than mature females in body mass). It's commonly believed that this could be an evolutionary advantage to better promote genetic diversity, but I don't think there is any hard science behind that statement.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
It's commonly believed that this could be an evolutionary advantage to better promote genetic diversity, but I don't think there is any hard science behind that statement.
Well I can say it would have made my life easier 🤣.

A lot of variables in Tarantula growth rate. Regular temp, food availability, and stress seem to be much larger variables that I have noticed in my T's then sex.