Help looking for tarantulas in Oklahoma

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will be in Oklahoma for a few days in July and I want to look for tarantuals, and scorpions for that matter. What type of tarantuals are in oklahoma? I know of Oklahoma brown, is there anything else? Where should i search, any tips? If i find a burrow how should i get one out?

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're all basically the hentzi "complex"...

Chris

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The tarantulas in Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas are the "hentzi" originally described by Girard...and wichitanum is probably going to be changed back to hentzi.

Chris

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If i find a burrow how should i get one out?
The only way i know is to put water in the burrow - as long as it isn't sealed up so tight you think the T might be molting or with an egg sack. i don't know of any other ways but i'm sure there must be. Does anyone know? Can you fish them out with bait? Is the water method cruel?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You might find some MM running around, I'm not to far from tex-ark-ana and this si about the time we find them running around

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be sure to bring a shovel.... we have had quite a bit of rain but if you run into some dry ground (depending on the area) the flooding technique won't work so well... The ground will suck it up very quickly and soon you will be out of water... Many times you will need to dig the little critter out if the water doesn't work.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Watch out for these tarantulas...they've been known to spit tobacco juice, have snaggle tooth syndrome and tuck their pants leg in one boot, they also get excited and jump up and down on their roof with a video cam at the sight of an F-5 tornado, lol