Help! .. Lice or baby crickets?

Pugsley

Arachnopeon
My T Tank has some small white bugs crawling around not many and the tank has only been up and running 15 days and I've managed to keep it clean from debris and mold, please tell me these are only baby crickets :confused:

There's none on the T herself.. I've quickly plonked a couple onder a cheap USB microscope but can put them under a proper scope if need be.

[YOUTUBE]kTJEW3K7-oA[/YOUTUBE]

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not pinhead crickets...

Looks more like springtails to me.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What kind of tarantula is it? hope it isn't a rosea... lol (they like it dry, along with various other t's)

Springtails usually pop up when the soil is too wet. They are decomposer, and also feed on small organisms in the soil (prevent mold, ect) but sometimes they get out of hand and turn into a blanket of white jumpy things if kept for too long under optimal conditions.

I recommend drying out the soil, which should make it fine again - they where probably in the soil you used in the first place. (bake the soil if it worries you) but I kept a good culture of them in my amphibian tanks back in the day along with pill bugs, and wiggly earthworms to keep the soil 'alive'...

Soil I never experiences springtails with is cocofiber. But I try to buy unsterilized soil if im too cheap to buy cocobibe - you can get some interesting things in it.(mushroom spores, weird plant seeds, one time a centipede) lol

edit:
I am editing this because it felt like i was reading a tongue twister.

Last edited: